U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 AM

34,215 posts, read 41,182,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
If you do not like or never did like Florida why did you move here?
Sunny some of us had no choice as we got dragged to Florida when we were young with Mom and Dad. Although i dont dislike Florida in most respects i never did like the heat even though when younger it wasnt that much of a problem it certainly is now and i look at the place as a great vacation destination, the fishing has to be some of the best in the country and i really enjoy reuniting with friends and family, Sitting on a beach? not so much, i dont see the point in baking in the sun,the sand usually is an irritant and ultimately ends up in everything ,the view of the ocean is boring after about 5 minutes ....ooops i'm starting to sound like one of those haters and bashers

Last edited by jambo101; 09-05-2011 at 02:22 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 961,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
THAT is YOUR perception....... See, there you go, doing the same thing people do talking about the sucky heat... Touche buddy.
I think to be fair, though Chris...one shouldn't be moving to Florida because they love snow/cold weather. I mean, there are plenty of reasons to move (and not to move) to any place USA, but if you (figuratively, not you) specifically love snow/cold weather, and don't just deal with it well or tolerate it, then I'm not sure why one would even move to Florida. Hence why I think his comment is going to be a more common opinion of people moving to, or living in, Florida.

It would be like saying I love the beach & surfing...I specifically love those things...but I'm moving to Alaska. Then telling people on an Alaska forum that they are crazy, or there is some need for counter-balance to the notion of loving the cold up there. And saying how humans aren't meant for such cold temperatures and harsh climate.

Not trying to be a jerk bud. But drastic differences in climate always changes what you do outside to some degree. I mean...come on, that has to make sense to you (and others), right? I mean, every point does not really need counter-balance does it? If somebody says I hate bad drivers...do we need to also say that there are some really good people who are bad drivers?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sunny some of us had no choice as we got dragged to Florida when we were young with Mom and Dad. Although i dont dislike Florida in most respects i never did like the heat even though when younger it wasnt that much of a problem it certainly is now and i look at the place as a great vacation destination, the fishing has to be some of the best in the country and i really enjoy reuniting with friends and family, Sitting on a beach? not so much, i dont see the point in baking in the sun,the sand usually is an irritant and ultimately ends up in everything ,the view of the ocean is boring after about 5 minutes ....ooops i'm starting to sound like one of those haters and bashers
I was in the same boat as a kid (well, an infant) & I don't disagree with any of this at all (I've actually been to FL beaches more since I left, than the same time period when I lived there).

But I think its a fair question to ask when people express a sentiment so clearly negative about an entire state that its really the first question that comes to mind (at least for FL, since the transplant ratio is so high...one just assumes they must have moved here).

I mean...the rest of the country is certainly not happyland either these days. Florida has a lot of issues as does the entire country. And if people are struggling financially due to a low/inadequate salary in their field, then it doesn't matter if you are in FL, NY, PA, CA, TX, IL, or wherever. Everything is going to appear bad to you until your situation changes. Good, bad, or indifferent...its just the way the economy is these days (unfortunately, imo).

Old 09-05-2011, 07:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,359,487 times
I know personally that living in Florida is not for me. A beautiful place to visit? You bet. I am always amazed at these people who move to Florida, or anywhere, who simply don't do their homework. If you have no college degree, and no real skill set, of course you will make 10 bucks an hour and struggle financially. Duh. Also, it's hot. Another big surprise, I know. Duh. The people who are able to enjoy living in Florida usually have a decent/well paying job and happen to love a tropical climate. I don't understand the people who turn it around on the "state", taking no personal responsibility for their own decisions.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I know personally that living in Florida is not for me. A beautiful place to visit? You bet. I am always amazed at these people who move to Florida, or anywhere, who simply don't do their homework. If you have no college degree, and no real skill set, of course you will make 10 bucks an hour and struggle financially. Duh. Also, it's hot. Another big surprise, I know. Duh. The people who are able to enjoy living in Florida usually have a decent/well paying job and happen to love a tropical climate. I don't understand the people who turn it around on the "state", taking no personal responsibility for their own decisions.
Thats it in a nutshell, really. Its the same people who put their reliance on government programs to offset the high cost of living elsewhere. Then they get here and think "Gee, I'll buy a $200k, 3000 sq ft home in FL because I could barely afford a $200k, 1100 sq ft home elsewhere", and then wonder why they have a $400/mo electric bill because they set the AC to 68 degrees. I can't say that's the case with the OP...but boy does it sound familiar.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,506,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
"sucky heat" - sounds like a great song title! :d
lol!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,188,451 times
I agree with your statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post

Old 09-05-2011, 12:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,506,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
I think to be fair, though Chris...one shouldn't be moving to Florida because they love snow/cold weather. I mean, there are plenty of reasons to move (and not to move) to any place USA, but if you (figuratively, not you) specifically love snow/cold weather, and don't just deal with it well or tolerate it, then I'm not sure why one would even move to Florida. Hence why I think his comment is going to be a more common opinion of people moving to, or living in, Florida.

It would be like saying I love the beach & surfing...I specifically love those things...but I'm moving to Alaska. Then telling people on an Alaska forum that they are crazy, or there is some need for counter-balance to the notion of loving the cold up there. And saying how humans aren't meant for such cold temperatures and harsh climate.

Not trying to be a jerk bud. But drastic differences in climate always changes what you do outside to some degree. I mean...come on, that has to make sense to you (and others), right? I mean, every point does not really need counter-balance does it? If somebody says I hate bad drivers...do we need to also say that there are some really good people who are bad drivers?
I've been here since 1994... I loved it back then. I like it here but I can't do heat anymore, health reasons. Up until 2005 I was fine, it really didn't bother me so much.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 PM

728 posts, read 1,180,126 times
You moved to Orlando, what did you expect?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,202,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
you say that as if it were a thinly-veiled threat of sorts; as if i'm supposed to be afraid that you've "preserved" it. in fact, i'm quite fine with it. it's a sarcastic jab at the melodramatic people on this (and any, really) forum who try and twist hyperbole into semi-fact.

Seriously?

I try to make the funny whenever possible.

But honestly, it was probably a good idea to let folks know what you wrote so that when you eventually change it people will know what you were talking about. A guy once said to me something fairly immature - I actually know him so I'm not far off the mark - "Well, with a status like that it just figures." Um, I've probably changed it five times since then. Now no one has any idea what he was writing about.

This kind of has me wondering what else you consider to be thinly-veiled threats. You might want to check that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or