U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,949,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
You addressed wages but not the OP's comparison/complaints of higher car insurance and utilities. Might as well add in the higher cost of homeowners in FL. The OP's thoughts were from their real experience, which may be much different from median statistics. Doubt if anyone would spend $1000's to move to FL and spend that again to move back if their situation would likely be worse. Spending that to have an great NFL team in town, now that I can see.
Well I was replying to someone who brought up wages.

If I am going to compare car insurance which on average you are going to save $600 a year, then I will also compare property tax which for a $150,000 home you will save about $735 a year in Florida. Add to that on average about $470 a year more for home owners insurance in Florida. We could go on and on down the line but if you compare cost of living overall the 2 areas are going to be within 3-5% of each other on both side of the equation dependent upon which site you choose to believe.

Utilities I am not going to bother with because his numbers are ridiculous. I have a 2500 sq ft living area home with a pool and and a well but my electric has never been more than $210 a month. Because someone chooses to move to a warm climate state and then keep the air set at 70-72 so that it feels like a cool climate state is not my fault.

As I said before, where is the great divide?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM

932 posts, read 984,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Really? I think they drive pretty well here - I'm in Asheville area. It's probably vastly different in Charlotte/Raleigh/Winston-Salem, etc. Where were you?
I was traveling back from Savannah, GA to PA last Sunday, up I-95. For some reason, every c*nt driver in NC seemed to be on the road during the time I was passing through. I'm not going to even remotely judge your whole state, but last Sunday was some hairy driving, although nowhere near in the league of my former home (South FL) in terms of ****-poor driving skills.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,858,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I WENT to Florida public schools,

... and I can still manage to run circles around people who went to school "in the northeast"

!
Can't say I had the same experience here as I work with several Florida natives, who were educated in the state since day 1 up through graduating from UF, UM, FSU and FAU, and I'm not too terribly impressed with the majority of them. They seem to be really proud of their higher education institutions here, but in my opinion it's nowhere near the level of the Northeast, when you figure in schools like Carnegie Mellon, MIT, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Lehigh, PSU and the list just goes on......

When I typically look at a local papers or magazines, I always see a list of graduating seniors who got accolades and excelled. The majority of them have a Northeast University listed as the school they will be attending. Odds are they won't come back to Florida after graduating due to the lack of opportunities here....that's a sad fact.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,324,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
have fun with those dismal, gloomy winters.
sledding, skating, cross country skiing, air crisp and sunny! y'all stay down there now!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,858,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
sledding, skating, cross country skiing, air crisp and sunny! y'all stay down there now!
That is if you have a good winter, I use to do all of that and it would suck to have the investment in gear but could not use it because it did not snow or stay cold enough consistently to be able to use it. Knew of a few people who invested a ton of money into snowmobiles but rarely got a chance to use them due to lack of snow and often had to drive hundreds of miles further north into Canada to do so.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM

34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
And i'll add, all you cold weather weanies ya'll head on down to Florida now, frees up jobs for us northerners and traffic gets lighter..
Getting time to sharpen the skates and buy some new hockey sticks eh

Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,279,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Can't say I had the same experience here as I work with several Florida natives, who were educated in the state since day 1 up through graduating from UF, UM, FSU and FAU, and I'm not too terribly impressed with the majority of them. They seem to be really proud of their higher education institutions here, but in my opinion it's nowhere near the level of the Northeast, when you figure in schools like Carnegie Mellon, MIT, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Lehigh, PSU and the list just goes on......

When I typically look at a local papers or magazines, I always see a list of graduating seniors who got accolades and excelled. The majority of them have a Northeast University listed as the school they will be attending. Odds are they won't come back to Florida after graduating due to the lack of opportunities here....that's a sad fact.
You are comparing the top schools in the nation to those in FL. Only UF is an AAU institution. Of course if you compare FSU to Columbia there is going to be a difference.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM

378 posts, read 724,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are comparing the top schools in the nation to those in FL. Only UF is an AAU institution. Of course if you compare FSU to Columbia there is going to be a difference.
It's not the Florida institutions fault, it's the swampy air and strong FL sun.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM

357 posts, read 654,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

you're talking about a select group of schools that happen to be among the best in the world. Like the poster above stated, you cannot compare those schools to large state universities. When you start comparing a school like UF to the other large public univerisities, you'll find that UF is an excellent school.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 PM

945 posts, read 1,452,884 times
Mike, what do you keep your thermostat at when you are home? Say you are home during the day on a hot august day? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Well I was replying to someone who brought up wages.

If I am going to compare car insurance which on average you are going to save $600 a year, then I will also compare property tax which for a $150,000 home you will save about $735 a year in Florida. Add to that on average about $470 a year more for home owners insurance in Florida. We could go on and on down the line but if you compare cost of living overall the 2 areas are going to be within 3-5% of each other on both side of the equation dependent upon which site you choose to believe.

Utilities I am not going to bother with because his numbers are ridiculous. I have a 2500 sq ft living area home with a pool and and a well but my electric has never been more than $210 a month. Because someone chooses to move to a warm climate state and then keep the air set at 70-72 so that it feels like a cool climate state is not my fault.

As I said before, where is the great divide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or