Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM

57 posts, read 129,278 times

Advertisements

I was born in Pgh. and grew up there and lived there until I moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1984. Fell in love with Florida immediately - loved the hot weather and the beaches. We moved to North Georgia in 2007 when my husband retired - he was tired of hurricanes and Florida had really changed over time. I am now a "halfback" (someone from the North East who moved to Florida and then moved halfway back). We still have long hot summers here in GA which is fine with me. Pittsburgh is a wonderful city but I would never move back there due to the long dreary winters when the sun never shines for 6 mos.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The same could be said about FL in regards to the hot and sticky weather that keeps people inside in A/C for months on end.
those people still go outside and don't have seasonal affective disorder like most of the folks who don't see the sun for half the year.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In fact theres a few of us who would prefer a cold crisp northern winter to a hot humid Florida summer.
and i for one hope they move up there to experience it.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
those people still go outside and don't have seasonal affective disorder like most of the folks who don't see the sun for half the year.
? unless they are moving back to the north pole people DO go outside in winter up north! I'd take a crisp 30 degree day up north anytime over 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity day after day..with no relief ever..Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it..I really don't. I am here in North Carolina and I barely go outside except to my car for 4 months a year..down there its 6 +....pure pain...hellish

Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Are you talking about people who live in Barrow, Alaska?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I moved back to within 50 miles of where i was born and raised. I honestly cant think of anywhere else i would rather live. I didnt know that Ohio was that bad.
Ohio is not that bad at all. Actually Ohio has some great small towns that are safe, family friendly and a great place to raise kids.

But, Ohio has nothing to offer my family. With us loving the ocean and wanting to be outside instead of inside we had to leave Ohio because we were stuck inside for 8-9 months a year.

We are outdoor sport type people who enjoy the ocean, beach, biking, warm weather and everything a southern state has to offer.

I wont go back to Ohio not because we did not like it but because it is too cold for us and has nothing for us that we enjoy.

We have realized a dream moving here. Warm weather, ocean close by, Disney, nature, parks and everything we need is all right here.

If we were to move it would be another location in Florida or a state and city that has a beach close by and the temps do not stay below freezing for 32 straight days like Ohio did last year.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You've mentioned before that you just relocated and are retired, so it's an entirely different situation.

I think it depends on your usage, how well sealed & insulated the home is, if you have a pool and the local rates. However, I agree $400 is awfully high. My electric bill where I am now was $68 in July, but I'm in a very small mobile home. I rented a 1,349 sf 2/2 house last year in Port Charlotte and my July bill was $178 and I kept the a/c set on 82. If your highest bill is only $135, then you must have a well insulated home and keep the a/c on a high setting. However, when I lived in Bonita Springs, I had a neighbor who lived in a small 1/2 duplex whose electric bill was over $200. It's puzzling because I had the same exact unit and never paid more than $70.
Sorry we are not retired as being in our 60's etc. We are in our early 40's and I am retired from working and running a business. That does not mean we do not have other responsibilities like everyone else.

And the DH works full time as a district manager of a large company. We plan our beach visits around his schedule and meet him at the location he is close to. Of course he is his own boss so he can move things around.

We are not 60+ and have 2 young children at home so stop the comparisons to try to prove a point. It wont work.

I will trade my electric and heat bills in Ohio for Florida bills anytime.

We were also told that moving here in July and August would be brutal. So far, not a problem.

Good luck to the OP.

Last edited by Sunny-Days-in-Florida; 08-28-2011 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
I know

When I lived in NYC I wasn't used to winter weather(I grew up in South America) and for me rain meant "chilly, wear a sweater" and sunny meant "Hot, forget the sweater". So I would see this shiny sun through my window and totally forget I had to wear my coat. I would open the door and get this nice 20 degree wind gust.

Of course the sun shines up there

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
But, Ohio has nothing to offer my family. With us loving the ocean and wanting to be outside instead of inside we had to leave Ohio because we were stuck inside for 8-9 months a year.

We are outdoor sport type people who enjoy the ocean, beach, biking, warm weather and everything a southern state has to offer.
Well, I'm honestly very happy for you. However, you must be "outdoor sport type people" who only like hot, humid weather. Most people who enjoy the outdoors don't stay inside for 8-9 months. There are a lot of winter sports like skating, skiing, sledding and, of course, building a snowman.

But seriously, it is 4 in the morning and I can't get cool enough. I just turned on the Weather Channel. It's 82 degrees, heat index is 90, dew point 80, and 95% humidity. (just reporting what I saw) So I don't understand why you need to continually write that the weather in Florida isn't hot & humid. I rarely see this type of silly discussion anywhere but on the Florida forums. I mean, it's like saying it doesn't snow a lot in North Dakota.

By the way, I've never written that I hate Florida. I moved here to get away from the cold weather too. Why would I still be here? I just can't tell people it isn't hot & humid for several months.

Sorry about the misunderstanding regarding your age. My mistake.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Totally. I mean you hit the nail on the head with that one. Good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida