U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,391,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Stuck inside for 8-9 months a year ??!!! ... I grew up in WNY and I was never stuck inside unless it was a mini-blizzard outside. What months were you stuck outside ? June-July-August-September ?

It is false, misleading posts like that one that give places like Ohio a bad name. I happen to enjoy Florida, but there are a few months here that I don't enjoy being outside either.
Did you even take the time to read this thread?

If you did I stated that Ohio was good place to live and raise kids.

But, not for people like us who happens to love being warm, close to the ocean and nature.

I did NOT say I was stuck outside, I said I was stuck inside in Ohio for 8-9 months because we cannot stand to be cold.

You are so wrong, this post is not misleading at all. It is a personal preference of ours to want to be warm year around.

Anything below 50 is too cold.

Was is misleading is people who told me we would burn up and not make it through July and August in Florida. Well, we made it and rather easily and had tons of fun in the pool and at the ocean.

The non active non beach loving folk can stay up in the north, gives those who enjoy being warm and close to the ocean, close to all the theme parks and all the nature more room to move without running into unhappy whiners.

Like many people here have posted they move from a cold state to Florida then decide to leave. Then turn around and come back knowing they made a mistake in leaving in the first place.

People leave places for a reason ya know. We left Ohio for Florida to be warm, close to the ocean, nature, tons of other things to do here and be able to swim 24-7 year around instead of filling a pool to only be able to use it for 3 months or so.

There is a thread showing tons of people who move to Florida, left and came back.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM

15,300 posts, read 17,497,747 times
50% of the people that move to FL from another state, end of moving back within 5 years. This statistic has been around for a long time. It just doesn't work out for everyone.

I am willing to bet that most folks that go back, are going back to their hometown vicinity. It's a lot harder to uproot from your original hometown---no matter where you moved to(FL or any other place)

Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,867,707 times
Oh hey look everybody! It's another thread of "I Hate Florida" VS "I Love Florida" <SHOCKER>

Surely people have got to be tired of these types of threads by now.

How about we try this?

OP - Good for you, glad you are moving back home and are going to be happier. I believe you had a $300 electric bill (mine for this month is $300). $14,000/yr would suck to live on. Sounds like you have connections in PA which will help you increase your quality of life. Shouldn't be surprised you only make $10/hr driving here. License requirements here are a joke and with all the immigrants here they're willing to work for cheap. Bus driving is not exactly "skilled labor".

Pro Florida Posters - Good for you. You found a place that you like. Obviously hot weather does not bother you much and you thoroughly enjoy the winters here. You probably enjoy being around water. You most likely have a decent paying job or are retired. You understand that living in a place where millions love to vacation likely means you will not make the best money in the nation, nor have the cheapest cost of living in the country either.

Anti Florida Posters - Sorry things didn't work out for you. I hope you find happiness soon. Is it necessary though to constantly create threads about how much Florida sucks? You say it's so those considering a move to Florida have a chance to see a different perspective. Seriously? Anybody who uses this site for information should read many threads to get a feel for the area. Trust me, they'll have no problem finding a thread that provides "another perspective."

I read about some Florida History. Apparently it is very difficult to settle in Florida and be successful for a very, very long time. Many people had attempted to colonize Florida in the 16th century but were unable to. Many, many failed attempts. Seems to still be the story today.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,848,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

But, not for people like us who happens to love being warm, close to the ocean and nature.

I did NOT say I was stuck outside, I said I was stuck inside in Ohio for 8-9 months a year because we cannot stand to be cold.

You are so wrong, this post is not misleading at all. It is a personal preference of ours to want to be warm year around.

Was is misleading is people who told me we would burn up and not make it through July and August in Florida. Well, we made it and rather easily and had tons of fun in the pool and at the ocean.

The non active non beach loving folk can stay up in the north, gives those who enjoy being warm and close to the ocean, close to all the theme parks and all the nature more room to move without running into unhappy whiners.

Like many people here have posted they move from a cold state to Florida then decide to leave. Then turn around and come back knowing they made a mistake in leaving in the first place.

People leave places for a reason ya know. We left Ohio for Florida to be warm, close to the ocean, nature, tons of other things to do here and be able to swim 24-7 year around instead of filling a pool to only be able to use it for 3 months or so.

There is a thread showing tons of people who move to Florida, left and came back.
If you were stuck inside 8 or 9 months a year in Ohio then there must have been some physical problem..that doesnt even come close to making any sense...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,380,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

Yep, I did ... did you read the 1st line of my post ? It says i-n-s-i-d-e ..
The outside part of my post was a facetious comment about the summer months in Ohio.

That's not what I was questioning ... I agree with that statement.

I did NOT say I was stuck outside, I said I was stuck inside in Ohio for 8-9 months because we cannot stand to be cold.

You were only stuck inside because you wanted to be. The weather in Ohio April-November is not that bad. Dec, Jan-Mar I would understand staying inside.

To make it seem like people have to stay inside for 8-9 months a year in Ohio is misleading.

How long did you live in Ohio ?

How many full summers have you gone thru here ?

There are plenty of beaches up north as well and also plenty of ski resorts. And there are plenty of 'active beach-going' people up north
as well.

Sure, some come back to Florida and some go home and stay home.
There are many of reasons why people move besides the weather.

I hope your pool is heated, otherwise you won't be swimming much in December/January/February here.

And there are threads that show people who came to Florida and left for some reason. What's your point ?
Comments in blue ...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM

295 posts, read 662,829 times
I wouldn't want to move back to PA where you're taxed to death. State Income Tax, wage tax, head tax, occupational tax, and on and on. Left 30 years ago (and yes, I worked for a wage tax office) and I did miss PA the first year. After that, I was used to the heat, bugs and snakes. Utility bills? Ours average $175 for electric and we keep our ac on 76. It helps to have a well insulated home and energy efficient appliances (including ac/heat).

But for anyone who wants to move back up north, I completely understand and wish you well.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:29 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,675,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartrockstars View Post
I would be the same way. This is why I would love to live in the Pacific northwest with all the cloudy/cool days.
God willing, that's where I'll be in three years.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,203,256 times
And I believe people who state they are "stuck" in doors in FL for 8 months a year is a exaggeration statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Comments in blue ...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,380,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
And I believe people who state they are "stuck" in doors in FL for 8 months a year is a exaggeration statement.
Agreed, we need to be fair and realistic on both sides.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,938,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But its true..anyone in the northern tier of the U.S. is out all winter with the sun mostly. She was deflating your argument
i don't know what part of the north you've been in during winter but i can assure you with 100% confidence that there are many parts (including pburgh) that are a gloomy dull gray for a significant portion of the colder months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or