Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I dont see anyone trying to convince anyone of anything.
certainly not. florida isn't for everyone. i have to admit though, i'm curious as to why he's posting in a florida forum if he hates it so much.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
certainly not. florida isn't for everyone. i have to admit though, i'm curious as to why he's posting in a florida forum if he hates it so much.
Now that IS a damn good question

Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So it would wise to relocate lets say to North Dakota even though you know its
cold, but you have to try it to find out how cold it really is? Nonsense.

No, I don't think those who answer back to the whiners are whining.
Who is whining? So the meterologist who says "it's going to be a hot and steamy night" is a whiner? I do agree, however, that people who move to Florida and expect it to be cool or less humid shouldn't complain about the weather.

I've seen the same questions on other forums. Example: Someone in Louisiana asked about palmetto bugs. Same on the Texas and SC forums. The answer is usually "Bugs are part of life in the South." I've also seen posts about snakes, mosquitoes and so on. On some of the Florida forums, if someone asks about bugs, we have people who write, "I've never seen a roach since I've been here!" On the Georgia forum I recently read about the long, hot summers where people don't want to take long walks. On the Florida forums we have members who write, "It is always beautiful here. It's never too hot or too cold. It's perfect. Pinch me!"

Excuse me - I need to stick my head in the refrigerator for a few minutes.

Last edited by justNancy; 08-29-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Who is whining? So the meterologist who says "it's going to be a hot and steamy night" is a whiner? I do agree, however, that people who move to Florida and expect it to be cool or less humid shouldn't complain about the weather.

I've seen the same questions on other forums. Example: Someone in Louisiana asked about palmetto bugs. Same on the Texas and SC forums. The answer is usually "Bugs are part of life in the South." I've also seen posts about snakes, mosquitoes and so on. On some of the Florida forums, if someone asks about bugs, we have people who write, "I've never seen a roach since I've been here!" On the Georgia forum I recently read about the long, hot summers where people don't want to take long walks. On the Florida forums we have members who write, "It is always beautiful here. It's never too hot or too cold. It's perfect. Pinch me!"

I think the problem is people think when they move its gonna permanently be like the vacation they once took. Even people who like warm weather can fall victim to it. The 6 months of unrelenting heat is not something you can prepare for even though you know its coming.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Sunny i can see why you are happy to be in Florida after spending 9 months a year of winter for many years trapped in a house in Ohio .

I've Never been to Ohio,is there some micro climate going on there? up here in Canada we only get Winter from Mid November till the end of March, and hardly ever get temperatures so cold that we cant go out,maybe a couple of weeks in the -20 to -30 range in January and or February but we go out anyway..

Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
I have lived here for 3 years... Came from Pittsburgh, leaving for there again tomorrow...

Anyway, This whole state is not anything close to what I expected...Here's why...

1- The wages here stink...bad.
2- Utilities...I thought they were bad in Pittsburgh...No comparison. The electric bills here are insane. 3-400 a month in electric. I paid no usually more than 100 back home a month, and I run the same
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. But to say wages stink- I don't think that should have been any surprise.

Not sure why you utility bills would be so high as compared to being so low in Pittsburg. Mine are a range of under $100 to over $250 a month, winter being the least expensive. I would expect the same (only in reverse!) to be true in PA, where winter weather would raise utility bills. Unless you had a larger home in FL.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM

100 posts, read 328,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sunny i can see why you are happy to be in Florida after spending 9 months a year of winter for many years trapped in a house in Ohio .

I've Never been to Ohio,is there some micro climate going on there? up here in Canada we only get Winter from Mid November till the end of March, and hardly ever get temperatures so cold that we cant go out,maybe a couple of weeks in the -20 to -30 range in January and or February but we go out anyway..
its all relative. I know in April it still snows in canada and can be quite cold. I was in canada one easter and woke up to about 6 inches of snow, mind u this one outside of Toronto, so I imagine Ohio is similar. This wasn't the Great Northern part of canada, but just a few miles from the US border. It truly doesn't feel like summer in or around toronoto until at least the end of may and starts cooling down late august.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM

100 posts, read 328,711 times
BTW, Florida is a great place to live.

I moved from Philadelphia, PA back in 2002 to south florida and haven't looked back. I dont miss Philly at all. PA has beautiful country side, but during the winter its all barren....brown and grey.

and Philadelphia is an utter crap-hole (pardon my french) It truly is a dirty, gritty, grimey, ugly city. I'm sorry if I offended anyone from Philly, but I couldn't fathom moving back up there ever again.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
do you work outside? yeah, i'd hate florida too if i had a job that kept me outdoors during summer months.

when i was younger and still living in dc, i used to dislike the abundant sunshine as well. then i visited my father in portland, oregon for significant amounts of time. after the 8th straight day of overcast and gloom i started feeling funky. sluggish and kind of down (and it wasn't due to inactivity since i was soaking up every sight i could find). that's when i realized 2 things - 1) that i needed the sunlight more than originally thought, and 2) the reason why many of the bridges that lead into downtown portland have suicide hotline numbers posted.
I work outside. Today was especially lovely-first I was on the verge of heat stroke, then I was dodging lightning and got soaked (I'm talking all the way to my underwear soaked) to the skin, but I had to do an emergency repair. I'll count my blessings if I don't get pneumonia.

I'll take Portland on her worst day over weather like we had today. Oh, and people jump off Florida bridges all the time (the Skyway had suicide hotline numbers posted at one time also) so I guess it isn't all skittles and beer for everyone.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
A lot of people are whining "its too hot". I could not imagine anyone moving to FL expecting it to be cooler or less humid than where they are now. If they do, it's no wonder they can't make a living here because
they can't think in the first place.

Show a link to a post that said "Ive never seen a roach since I've been here". That does not exist. I was just in my back yard and lo and behold
I saw a spider! It had a web and everything. Wow jeeze. If I kicked up some mulch I'd see a whole bunch more bugs. I even saw ants running
back and forth along the rail of the fence while I pulled some weeds there
tonight.

We're not seeing people who say "its going to be a hot and steamy night"
but we have people who complain about "relentless heat and humidity".
Gee, the most southern part of the U.S. and it's not going to be hot
and humid?

It appears there are some very unrealistic expectations in some people.

The Southern of the Northern Hemisphere is hot. Let everybody know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida