Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Iif it was all so great from where you came, you should have stayed there in the first place and saved yourselves the cost and misery of coming to FL.

Be happy where you go back to.

A popular bumper sticker in FL used to be "Happiness is a transplant heading north with other transplants under each arm".

FL does not work for everyone. Just most people.
Thats the thing, people don't realize how sad the economy is down there now. It's real easy to get caught up in that" I'm gonna move to Florida and everything's gonna be great thing. It's amazing, reading thru this forum, and how many people have that attitude. It was a whole different time when you moved down to Florida and even when i moved to Florida just ten years ago. It definatly was the land of oppurtunity back then. Young people could actually move there and prosper somewhat. Not so nowadays. Back then if you moved to Florida and didnt succeed you would probablly be considered a loser. Not today. I do agree , Happiness is a transplant headed north. I know quite a few people who are living proof of that. Myself included.

Last edited by Ken E; 08-28-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Sometimes...

you have to move away to realize what you have is not all bad. That's goes for relationships also.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM

272 posts, read 606,779 times
400/month electric sure seems steep.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
I was just looking for an answer to the question of why did they leave in the first place. Has nothing to do with "paradise", the fact that didnt like it here or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
The OP was here for 3 years Mr. compassionate... They gave it a try, your "paradise" did not work for them. God forbid they didn't like it...

Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM

maybe you didnt notice, but the economy is bad everywhere.

must be me, Ive never had a problem earning a decent income here.

i also adore the weather. Summer is hot, it was hot where I came from too.

i like the FL lifestyle. Its not for everybody and that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats the thing, people don't realize how sad the economy is down there now. It's real easy to get caught up in that" I'm gonna move to Florida and everything's gonna be great thing. It's amazing, reading thru this forum, and how many people have that attitude. It was a whole different time when you moved down to Florida and even when i moved to Florida just ten years ago. It definatly was the land of oppurtunity back then. Young people could actually move there and prosper somewhat. Not so nowadays. Back then if you moved to Florida and didnt succeed you would probablly be considered a loser. Not today. I do agree , Happiness is a transplant headed north. I know quite a few people who are living proof of that. Myself included.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Well, I can scan and provide a copy of my car insurance bill.

I pay less than $90 per month for two vehicles.

In NYC I paid $225 a month for one and that was over 20 years ago.

The NYTimes article you provided a link to shows median FL insurance
to be in the middle of the road of the U.S.

So, yes, what high car insurance rates? Sure, for those with bad credit, speeding tickets, etc, the rates are going to be higher because those
people are simply more of a risk to the insurance company.

Surely agree, a lot of people can't deal with the heat. They should
go to where they are more comfortable instead of the endless whining
about it.

In regarding to weather, I don't know what anyone missed when they first thought of moving south in the first place. That's got to be the biggest
no brainer around. South = heat and humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I only have 6 weeks left and I am leaving too. Back to Massachusetts for me, I have had my fill of 17 years here.

High car insurance rates in FL???? NO WAY!!! That is so not true according to a few of our members, hmmmm... Strange.

I will be happy to go back to my "dismal gloomy" winters in the NE, it sure as hell beats the 7 month inferno here... FOR ME, not for everyone, I have to say that before some cheerleader starts blasting me. Too hot for me here, a health issue makes it worse.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,210 times
Quote:
maybe you didnt notice, but the economy is bad everywhere.

must be me, Ive never had a problem earning a decent income here.

i also adore the weather. Summer is hot, it was hot where I came from too.

i like the FL lifestyle. Its not for everybody and that's a good thing.
You got that right, the economy is bad everywhere. It just seems to be extremly bad there. I never had any problem making a decent income there either, but there is a big difference between a decent florida income and a decent income up here. I'm not at the age where a decent florida income would set me up for old age.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,220,428 times
Quote:
Iif it was all so great from where you came, you should have stayed there in the first place and saved yourselves the cost and misery of coming to FL.

Be happy where you go back to.

A popular bumper sticker in FL used to be "Happiness is a transplant heading north with other transplants under each arm".

FL does not work for everyone. Just most people.
Actually the quote is "Happiness is a New Yorker......" My brother had one of those bumper stickers.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This is exactly right. My husband has a great job, we love our home and neighborhood and our electric is never over $135 a month even now, in the hottest months. I don't know what the heck the OP is doing to have $400 per month in electric - sounds like an exaggeration to me.

Anyway, it just goes to show that a move doesn't always work out, and that can mean a move to anywhere, not just Florida. The grass just isn't really greener on the other side for many.

I absolutely agree with you
My dh has turned down some excellent opportunities to move back to NY and NJ and well just not happening...Our children have never been happier, my son will never leave florida as he will stay local and go to college here..We love where we live and my husband has an excellent job with a very good salary so no complaints here...Our electric for a 2000 sq townhome 3 levels 4.5 yrs old is 175.00 a month which compared to where we came from well much cheaper here...and I am a SAHM and use the air all day....when we were in a 3200 sq ft house when we 1st moved here, my electric bill was 280 so 400???? with this poster? I dont think so.....Anyway, we have lived in 6 States and I can tell you the Grass is NOT Greener on the side Just Different....all our family is up North and we will never go back...

Old 08-28-2011, 05:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
If I ever left Florida I surely would NOT go back to where I came from.
You've mentioned before that you just relocated and are retired, so it's an entirely different situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know what the heck the OP is doing to have $400 per month in electric - sounds like an exaggeration to me.
I think it depends on your usage, how well sealed & insulated the home is, if you have a pool and the local rates. However, I agree $400 is awfully high. My electric bill where I am now was $68 in July, but I'm in a very small mobile home. I rented a 1,349 sf 2/2 house last year in Port Charlotte and my July bill was $178 and I kept the a/c set on 82. If your highest bill is only $135, then you must have a well insulated home and keep the a/c on a high setting. However, when I lived in Bonita Springs, I had a neighbor who lived in a small 1/2 duplex whose electric bill was over $200. It's puzzling because I had the same exact unit and never paid more than $70.

Last edited by justNancy; 08-28-2011 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: fix post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida