Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM

378 posts, read 829,609 times

Advertisements

People know why they want to move to Florida. What they don't know is why so many do move there, leave. If it left to just the cheerleaders they would never hear anything more than what they think they already know about the place, without having lived there. Except, maybe "its hot and humid but I love that!".

Maybe it's easier to love the heat and humidity hiding from it inside an a/c'ed house while repeating I love the heat and humidity. I once heard that if a lie is repeated often enough people will start to believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland View Post
Some of the responses from the earlier posts trying to shore up Florida's image make it sound like they are underemployed real estate agents or chamber of commerce people look to bring more people into the state. Let's face it, Florida is just a bad place.
One of the first steps in helping along the Florida housing market would be if real estate agents were actually approachable and reachable, not to mention knowledgeable. We lived in FL for 6 years and for a while we toyed with the thought of moving from Vero Beach to the Gulf Coast. We couldn't understand why none of the real estate offices were open on a Saturday in Tampa. Here in MA, they practically come out of their storefront if they see you reading a listing posted on the window. It was the same thing in West Palm Beach. In order to get any real estate information we had to fill out an internet form giving all our pertinent information to a total stranger and then wait... and wait... and sometimes they called us and many times they did not. It wasn't much better on the listing end. The advertising was lethargic at best. Now we're back in an area where we feel wanted, or at least our money was wanted. Sales aren't exactly brisk up here but the advertising is aggressive and the salespeople are more than approachable.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I have lived in FL over 23 years. If some one comes up with a question on CD they should get an answer. I.E. "is it hot in FL?" Answer: Yes. Check the National Weather Service temperature records and get the facts and then read the opinions as to how tolerable it is or isnt so that the original poster can decide if this is for them or not. The constant barrage of how hot and miserable FL has gotten boring.

If you know of a nirvana that has no/low crime, no/low unemployment, no/low traffic accidents in major metro areas, no/low cost of living, low cost of utilities, lower taxes, and all the other things you find fault with in FL, let me know. I think millions of people are looking for the same place.
Once they all find it, it won't be the nirvana it was when you found it.
That's what happened to me.

Maybe its easier to love the freezing cold hiding inside a home burning wood, oil, pellets, the furniture, whatever, to keep warm from November until March while repeating how much I love the feet of snow, the constantly below freezing temperatures, the wind chill, the ice covered roads.

Why can't you understand that its a big country. Lots of different climates to be enjoyed. If you dont like the one you live in, go to one you do. 18 million people seem to enjoy the FL weather everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
People know why they want to move to Florida. What they don't know is why so many do move there, leave. If it left to just the cheerleaders they would never hear anything more than what they think they already know about the place, without having lived there. Except, maybe "its hot and humid but I love that!".

Maybe it's easier to love the heat and humidity hiding from it inside an a/c'ed house while repeating I love the heat and humidity. I once heard that if a lie is repeated often enough people will start to believe it.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
I hope I am not being thrown into the 'cheerleading' crowd. I have explained how Florida really is. I sate that it's hot.... but I also state that I like the heat and expected it to be hot when I moved here. Anyone who doesn't expect hot and humid weather during the summer is a complete idiot.
My posts about the weather, as few as they may be, are to inform prospective movers to Florida about the continued heat and humidity. If you were moving here from Maine, wouldn't you want to know ?

Quote:
I have stated there are bugs here but you can keep them out by doing some maintenance.
Never have I mentioned bugs in my posts ...

Quote:
I find it interesting how there are so many people on this forum that say they hate it here and cannot wait to leave. Once they leave the continue to come back to this forum and post. I don't get it. What is even more interesting, is if you look at all posts by that user they pretty much only post in Florida Forums....... even more confusing.
I'll still here for family reasons and thus, will continue to post in the Florida forum, good or bad.

Quote:
Okay we get it. You guys must continue the crusade of highlighting the bad parts of Florida. We got it. We understand your crusade is to make sure people know the 'real deal'. Hate to break it you, but just because your life sucks, your lonely, miserable, probably make crap for money doesn't mean you are doing anyone a favor by highlighting only the bad (yeah, yeah, I know your response.... "There's nothing good about Florida"). How I would hate to be like you folks with a half empty sort of outlook on life.
My life doesn't suck ... just because I challenge some of the pro-Florida posts doesn't mean I sit around and whine all the time. There are some things I like about Florida. Not lonely, not miserable, and I'd put my company's bottom line up against your income any day. When I moved to Florida 15+ years ago, I knew what I was getting into. I had lived in Florida much earlier in my life. My opinion of Florida has deteriorated over the past 15 years, mostly due to the quality of people we have met here. Mostly shallow, pretentious, uncaring a-holes who would stab their mother for a loaf of bread. Toss in a summer where my kids can't play outside due to heat stroke and the bad feelings are amplified.

Quote:
I like it here. Many others like it here. Many will move here and like it as well. I understand there are many that do not like it here. Perhaps more dislike it than like it since I have been told more people are moving out than moving in. This is not a bad place for everyone. In fact, I absolutely love it here so far.
I'm happy for you ... didn't you come from Alaska ? I've lived in many places including Sydney, London, San Diego, Vancouver, Boston and never in one place have I met more degenerate losers. And there are people who don't like it and don't feel it's the best place to raise kids. Everyone's experience is different and at some point in one's life, a change is necessary. Obviously, you moved from Alaska for a better life or to get away for some reason ...

Looking forward to the sunset over our retention pond tonight ...

Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why can't you understand that its a big country. Lots of different climates to be enjoyed. If you dont like the one you live in, go to one you do. 18 million people seem to enjoy the FL weather everyday.
In my opinion, if you polled the 18 million people who live here, about half would say they enjoy the weather May thru September and all would say they like it October thru April. Most Florida residents just tolerate the heat to get to October. Just the opposite up north - folks tolerate the winter to get to the spring & summer.

But you are correct about many different climates ... there's something for everyone. My priorities have changed with children ... I want them outside enjoying the outdoors during their summer vacation, not cooped up inside watching TV and playing video games.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
In my opinion, if you polled the 18 million people who live here, about half would say they enjoy the weather May thru September and all would say they like it October thru April. Most Florida residents just tolerate the heat to get to October. Just the opposite up north - folks tolerate the winter to get to the spring & summer.

But you are correct about many different climates ... there's something for everyone. My priorities have changed with children ... I want them outside enjoying the outdoors during their summer vacation, not cooped up inside watching TV and playing video games.
You always have good insight & I always enjoy reading your post. Your assessment is correct, people do want to know both sides of the coin, if I was considering moving to FL or anywhere I'd want to read a variety of opinions then draw my own. I find no fault with anything you've written on this thread as well as others concerning FL, & I believe any potential Floridians feel the same. Keep up the good work babe, you're ok with me.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post

Yes honesty like that does help. "Tolerate the heat". People should know that depending where in FL you reside matters. Some years are hotter than others and the high humidity can start in March or April and last into November. In 04' and '05 there were so many hurricanes that hit or threatened the state it changed building codes and insurance rates. That could happen next year and the year after also. Red tide or high fecal matter can close beaches for long periods of time. There are lots of things you learn about the state the longer you live there. Have a nice day.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 11,658 times
Read the fine print. Communities where the median family income is more than 200% or less than 85% of the state median; those more than 95% white; and those with poor education and crime scores, are automatically are screened out. So wealthy areas, like Parkland, are not considered. If you put such towns up against the top 10 you will see they compare favorably.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio505 View Post
Read the fine print. Communities where the median family income is more than 200% or less than 85% of the state median; those more than 95% white; and those with poor education and crime scores, are automatically are screened out. So wealthy areas, like Parkland, are not considered. If you put such towns up against the top 10 you will see they compare favorably.
That's because the survey they did showed that naturally people aren't seeking to move to areas with poor education or high crime. A list that would include places with median income of more than 200% than the US median would be useless, even to money mag readers. You may find a list like that in the Robb Report.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The crime, the drugs, the illegal immigrants, crazy traffic laws, they even let people carry guns around with them! We have unemployment, people on food stamps, people on unemployment, lots of foreclosures, housing prices are in the toilet, prices the stores are amazing, we have hurricanes, sinkholes, rude people, lousy drivers, bad roads, I could go on with all the problems but we have such horrible weather to boot. Everybody is out to rip you off, real estate agents and all kinds of tradespeople, even the dry cleaners is out to get you.

Do yourself a favor. Stay where you are, don't even think about Florida or even that it exists.
Yea, but the weather is so nice 3 months a year! Even unemployed illegal immigrants on drugs and food stamps carrying a gun driving like a nut back to their foreclosure like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida