Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Any northerner who wants to move here will find out about red tide. (Sooner or later. )
Check the water quality here.
My county is clean.
Link

Yes, I do think it depends where you live. I probably would not move, as a family, to Naples.

I teach preschool so I know that some families do live in Florida.
I wouldn't have a job if they didn't.

Well, you have to look between the lines. Naples has a 60% home vacancy rate, yet they say the population has increased. So where are all these people living? Need to read the rest of the stats. The Hispanic population of Naples has increased and is the now the majority. Plus, the childhood population has also increased. My take on this is that; Hispanics already living in Naples are having more children. New/transplants/older people are not moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
How can the median home price in Hunter's Creek be $80,000?

The article mentions that although homes lining the fairway are expensive, there are many condos that are going for dirt cheap (ok, my words, but just because you can get a condo for dirt cheap doesn't make the place affordable! What about sky high condo fees? Who wants to live in a condo with a family anyway?)

Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Well, you have to look between the lines. Naples has a 60% home vacancy rate, yet they say the population has increased. So where are all these people living? Need to read the rest of the stats. The Hispanic population of Naples has increased and is the now the majority. Plus, the childhood population has also increased. My take on this is that; Hispanics already living in Naples are having more children. New/transplants/older people are not moving here.
Wow, that's interesting--and a good point. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
How can the median home price in Hunter's Creek be $80,000?

The article mentions that although homes lining the fairway are expensive, there are many condos that are going for dirt cheap (ok, my words, but just because you can get a condo for dirt cheap doesn't make the place affordable! What about sky high condo fees? Who wants to live in a condo with a family anyway?)
I have no idea of who is living in Hunter's Creek, but I do know several families are living in condos here in my neighborhood here in northeast Florida.
The condos here are lined up along and adjacent to a park.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
And 0 states in NC? C'mon. Some of those places are better than Asheville, Raleigh or Cary, NC? Pft.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Depends on what the criteria is
Strikes against FL
Climate-4 months out of the year it is brutally hot
Wages- Low compared to many parts of the country
Overpopulation- in some areas infrastructure and access to FL's most valuable asset (beaches) is inadequate.

Some will argue crime and education although FL is as safe as any other state I've lived in and I would much rather have my children in FL schools compared to many in the Midwest.
Brutally hot? Not really that bad, people hype the climate here as being unbearable though throughout the state there are parts where it's worse and where I live it's not that bad being close to the Ocean.

Wages, yes that is the case sadly....

Overpopulation and access to the beaches, no way is this real fair view, I live within a 20 minute drive to the beach and can get to several without any issues and they are rarely ever overcrowded and parking is never an issue even during season. I have been to the beach in other parts of state west coast and etc and I don't see this as being an issue there either. Some of the more touristy spots, South Beach and etc, have some challenges but that's to be expected. Surely I live in the most populated region of Florida and can agree on the population boom, but sadly many of the residents do not go to the beach ever or use the resources that are here. I have plenty of neighbors who are 30 somethings, who sit in their house all weekend.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If you want affordable though, FL is the place to be

Where homes are affordable - Hunter's Creek, FL (1) - Money Magazine
And probably going to get even more "affordable" if the number of people moving here continues to go down while the number moving out of Florida remains the same.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Brutally hot? Not really that bad, people hype the climate here as being unbearable though throughout the state there are parts where it's worse and where I live it's not that bad being close to the Ocean.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302799_10150765715890634_536245633_20617936_448709 4_n.jpg (broken link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261603_10150688692840634_536245633_19631708_803052 2_n.jpg (broken link)

I think those heat indexes speak for themselves. I dunno what ur comfort level is but that isn't mine.. p.s I live less than 15 mins from the beach

Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

I think those heat indexes speak for themselves. I dunno what ur comfort level is but that isn't mine.. p.s I live less than 15 mins from the beach
You really have to SEARCH to find out what the Heat Index is in Naples. The local weather people NEVER tell you the heat index. Although after 4 years, I can certainly tell. Hell, I can feel when my inside AC just goes up ONE DEGREE. Heat, and especially humidity, really, really bothers me now. It has gotten worse the longer I am here. Last year, I did recess with the kids for TWO HOURS outside from 11 AM to 1 PM. I thought I was going to DIE. So many of the kids didn't want to run around and play. They asked if they could just sit under a tree. "Too HOT". Fine with me. I can sympathize with that. Didn't want them red in the face (they have) or passing out (a few almost).

I just don't understand what is with the people here who think this heat is NOTHING. I think their CHILDREN know more than than do.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You really have to SEARCH to find out what the Heat Index is in Naples. The local weather people NEVER tell you the heat index. Although after 4 years, I can certainly tell. Hell, I can feel when my inside AC just goes up ONE DEGREE. Heat, and especially humidity, really, really bothers me now. It has gotten worse the longer I am here. Last year, I did recess with the kids for TWO HOURS outside from 11 AM to 1 PM. I thought I was going to DIE. So many of the kids didn't want to run around and play. They asked if they could just sit under a tree. "Too HOT". Fine with me. I can sympathize with that. Didn't want them red in the face (they have) or passing out (a few almost).

I just don't understand what is with the people here who think this heat is NOTHING. I think their CHILDREN know more than than do.

I agree and I always get , no its 94 out not 106 .. No! if the heat index is 106 its 106 out.. I don't live up north and go oh its 30 out but the windchill is 4 and then dress like its 30 out.. I dress like its 4 degrees out.. My daughter gets real red in the face when she's out and I have to bring her in after 15 mins in the summer time. I'm afraid she'll overheat to fast esp with a little diaper on that traps heat. I have to bring her in and let her run around nakkid and cool off!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
That's OK. This hasn't been the same country I grew up in since the 1970's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The gild is off the lily. Harry and Ethel from Michigan aren't retiring here anymore. Could be it's because they found someplace more to their liking, find Florida too expensive now or the fact most of today's retirees have no defined pension. This ain't the same place it was 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida