U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010

Advertisements

Between 2000 and 2010, Florida's population grew by more than 2.8 million people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. I don't know where some posters get the impression that there is some sort of massive migration away from Florida.

Florida's growth certainly slowed after the real estate bubble burst that started in 2006. However, the state grew 0.6% in the period 7/12/07 to 7/1/09 according to census estimates.

Florida was in the top 10 fastest-growing states for the decade 2001 to 2010. It now ranks as the fourth most populous state and is closing on New York.
It is going to take a whole lot of decline in people relocating to Fl to make a dent in the number of people in Fl.

]
Even with all the negatives some posters like to propound, as inaccurate as they may be, Fl is a great place to be, for most of us, heat, humidity, bugs, hurricanes, sinkholes and all.




Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
True! And you are correct in saying there is a slowing of population growth.

All except two of Florida's 67 counties gained population during the past decade.

You know, this stuff has been discussed to death for years on here, as you and I know.

Why did the population growth go up? Because there was an unprecedented housing boom.

Do I think people moved away? Yes, I do, even though it was argued by many that this wasn't happening. It did.

But people are still moving here. It has just slowed and is probably a very good thing. The Southwest Florida of 2005 was a very ugly thing. Now when I come back and visit I see a Florida before the boom and it is much nicer.

But people are still moving here.

Alfbroker says:

Wrong.

Florida had annual population increases that averaged between 280,000 and 320,000 from 1970 through last year.

The study projects an annual growth rate of 252,000 during the current decade and 255,000 between 2020 and 2030, but it's expected to decline to 220,000 during the following 10 years.


So, if you're around in 2031, prepare for a decline. That should be right around the time I drop dead. I'm at the very tail-end of the baby boomers so that might be about right. I'll be 69, going on 70.

As far as these lists go, they have come to the point where I can find fabulous lists for almost anywhere except Detroit, Flint and Memphis. Even then, I might be able to find them on a "good" list. Maybe not, though.

In the 80s, these lists surely influenced people with the advent of "Best Place to Live" and everyone jumped on the list bandwagon. But it's become ridiculous and the internet has further watered them down. Take a look at any of them and you will find comments by locals ridiculing them and proving them wrong. In 2005, Cape Coral/Fort Myers was on several lists including best place to get a job. I knew the economy and the housing industry was about to implode. I laughed at the list and moved away.

These lists just don't have the influence that they use to. Like anything else, there were far too many and they changed too much from year to year. Most people treat them as seriously as they do a quiz in Cosmo.

That's why this forum has become so popular. If you can cut through the chaff there are real people with real experiences that are willing to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Between 2000 and 2010, Florida's population grew by more than 2.8 million people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. I don't know where some posters get the impression that there is some sort of massive migration away from Florida.

Florida's growth certainly slowed after the real estate bubble burst that started in 2006. However, the state grew 0.6% in the period 7/12/07 to 7/1/09 according to census estimates.

Florida was in the top 10 fastest-growing states for the decade 2001 to 2010. It now ranks as the fourth most populous state and is closing on New York.
It is going to take a whole lot of decline in people relocating to Fl to make a dent in the number of people in Fl.

]
Even with all the negatives some posters like to propound, as inaccurate as they may be, Fl is a great place to be, for most of us, heat, humidity, bugs, hurricanes, sinkholes and all.
The population of Florida declined in 2010 according to this website and I suspect the trend will continue in 2011 until the economy improves.

CHARTS Population Estimates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
What is the point of your chart? It shows that some counties in FL gained population while some lost. I am not going to total up the differences for each year, but surely each year will show an overall increase in population at a state level year after year.

The population change in FL from 2000 to 2010 was 17.6 percent. Nationally, the rate was less than 10 percent.

To verify this information: Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau


As to your assumption that Fl growth rate will decline over the years, the feds disagree with you.

http://www.census.gov/population/pro...mmaryTabA1.pdf


What is your point as to the decline in population growth anyway?















Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The population of Florida declined in 2010 according to this website and I suspect the trend will continue in 2011 until the economy improves.

CHARTS Population Estimates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,554 posts, read 47,375,823 times
Reputation: 13400
Um, Spring Hill, I'm agreeing with you so why are you attacking me? Do you even read what people write?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
I certainly wasn't attacking you Hip, I was expanding on what you wrote.


Sorry you read it as an attack. I dont roll that way.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Um, Spring Hill, I'm agreeing with you so why are you attacking me? Do you even read what people write?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What is the point of your chart? It shows that some counties in FL gained population while some lost. I am not going to total up the differences for each year, but surely each year will show an overall increase in population at a state level year after year.

The population change in FL from 2000 to 2010 was 17.6 percent. Nationally, the rate was less than 10 percent.

To verify this information: Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau


As to your assumption that Fl growth rate will decline over the years, the feds disagree with you.

http://www.census.gov/population/pro...mmaryTabA1.pdf


What is your point as to the decline in population growth anyway?
Same point as your population increase point ...

The point was to show that despite your 17.6 % growth from 2000 to 2010, more people left than came in 2010, something contrary to 2000-2009.

What's the matter ? You don't like it when more folks leave Florida than move in ?

And I certainly don't believe any projections from the U.S. government as they don't seem to get much right. Are those projections counting all of the illegal immigrants flocking to Florida ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
I really don't mind a few thousand folks leaving FL. They were probably drains on the resources where they lived anyway.


Sure, more left than came in 2010. Job losses, bad choices in real estate, greener pastures, lots of reasons people leave any place. Fl is not immune that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Same point as your population increase point ...

The point was to show that despite your 17.6 % growth from 2000 to 2010, more people left than came in 2010, something contrary to 2000-2009.

What's the matter ? You don't like it when more folks leave Florida than move in ?

And I certainly don't believe any projections from the U.S. government as they don't seem to get much right. Are those projections counting all of the illegal immigrants flocking to Florida ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I really don't mind a few thousand folks leaving FL. They were probably drains on the resources where they lived anyway.


Sure, more left than came in 2010. Job losses, bad choices in real estate, greener pastures, lots of reasons people leave any place. Fl is not immune that.
And the Feds projection of 28,685,769 folks living here in 2030 ? Where are the jobs and the infrastructure changes going to come from to support this additional 10 million people ? At some point, Florida will become saturated and the outgoing tide will literally carry boatloads of people out of Florida. Civilized people will not want to deal with overcrowded cities and wall-to-wall people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,554 posts, read 47,375,823 times
Reputation: 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I certainly wasn't attacking you Hip, I was expanding on what you wrote.


Sorry you read it as an attack. I dont roll that way.

Good cookies for you! I thought we were agreeing with each other!


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And the Feds projection of 28,685,769 folks living here in 2030 ? Where are the jobs and the infrastructure changes going to come from to support this additional 10 million people ? At some point, Florida will become saturated and the outgoing tide will literally carry boatloads of people out of Florida. Civilized people will not want to deal with overcrowded cities and wall-to-wall people.
The population is expected to increase in Florida and, gasp, worldwide. That's a problem, I agree. Remember in the hippy-dippy 60s when they talked about population control? I was in grade school and it was a big deal and then it sort of fell away, much like the hippies donning business suits and raping and pillaging the land like their forefathers. Well, it's getting here.

Fortunately for Florida, there is still some land that is available. They'll probably pave-over the glades by then, anyway. Isn't that part of Michelle Bachmann's platform?

Look, Florida may get big business and industry or it may not, just like any other state. Anything can happen. But the way it stands now it will always attract a certain group of people, mostly retirees, and hence the more gentle but steady stream of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The population is expected to increase in Florida and, gasp, worldwide. That's a problem, I agree. Remember in the hippy-dippy 60s when they talked about population control? I was in grade school and it was a big deal and then it sort of fell away, much like the hippies donning business suits and raping and pillaging the land like their forefathers. Well, it's getting here.

Fortunately for Florida, there is still some land that is available. They'll probably pave-over the glades by then, anyway. Isn't that part of Michelle Bachmann's platform?

Look, Florida may get big business and industry or it may not, just like any other state. Anything can happen. But the way it stands now it will always attract a certain group of people, mostly retirees, and hence the more gentle but steady stream of people.
You're right about now ... Florida will still attract a fair share of retirees. But if the majority of immigrants to Florida are undesirables or folks with their pockets empty and hands out, the retirees will look to alternate destinations in the future. I have some Mexican friends who tell me that Mexico used to be a wonderful place to live 20-30 years ago. Can't say that now ... I hope for those who love Florida that's not the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top