U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Well, if you've ever been over by Rollins College/ Park Ave in Winter Park, on a SUNDAY at 2PM, the last thing you expect to happen is to be sitting IN your car and have gunmen drive up, stick a gun in your face, rob you, and smash you in the face with the gun.

This was a violent, brazen, daytime robbery. Criminals are getting desperate and they don't care when, where, or who.

On the positive side, we have good guns laws in FL to protect ourselves.

The last thing anyone ever suspects in nice areas is to rob you at gun point. But it happens, and not just in Winter Park. Sometimes it happens in Harvard, as linked above.

Often it happens in nice areas, because that's where people who have money live. People without money travel to places with money and commit crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM

81 posts, read 212,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, maybe we should all move to North Dakota, where there's less people than there are in most cities.

Sometimes, if you're going to live where there are actually PEOPLE, AMENITIES, and ENTERTAINMENT, you're going to have to put up with a bit more crime. Can't all live in the sticks, ya know.

And a Hurricane is one of the easiest natural disasters to avoid. It's not like they pop up out of nowhere like a Tornado (Mid-West, Texas), an Earthquake (California), or happen every year, like clockwork, usually more than once per year (blizzards).

BTW: "Low wages" are relative to profession and job type. Not all of us suffer from the affliction. Oh, and my cost of living is cheaper now than it was just three years ago. Funny how that works.
Will pick this post apart piece by piece:

1. One of the main reasons there's less people, is that transplants from other places such as in the southeast can't hack it here when it gets cold, so they leave and go somewhere else.

2. This didn't make sense at all. There's PEOPLE, AMENITIES, and ENTERTAINMENT here as well, and still relatively low crime.

3. How can a hurricane be an easily avoidable natural disaster? Tell that to those who had there homes completely obliterated by Category 5 Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

4. Unlikely your cost of living is cheaper than it was three years ago with inflation (gasoline, food costs, insurance, etc.).

Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,864,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's what they said about my ancestors, too. But just like then, the immigrants are on the roofs fixing them, in every restaurant kitchen, in every field picking...
You couldn't pay me to live in ND....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post
4. Unlikely your cost of living is cheaper than it was three years ago with inflation (gasoline, food costs, insurance, etc.).
Oil was $147/barrel in 2008 with gas above $4/gallon. We are nowhere near that today.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 PM

81 posts, read 212,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in ND....

Oil was $147/barrel in 2008 with gas above $4/gallon. We are nowhere near that today.
Would not never ever want to live in FL either!
That first quotation had nothing to do with anything this poster stated earlier. Gas was nowhere near above $4 per gallon in 2008, it was around $3.40 per gallon at its highest in most areas, then it even decreased some during the onset of the recession. No need to discuss anything else. Not returning to view any other responses on this. The bad statistics regarding Florida speak for themselves.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,375,823 times
Quote:
Would not never ever want to live in FL either!
That first quotation had nothing to do with anything this poster stated earlier. Gas was nowhere near above $4 per gallon in 2008, it was around $3.40 per gallon at its highest in most areas, then it even decreased some during the onset of the recession. No need to discuss anything else. Not returning to view any other responses on this. The bad statistics regarding Florida speak for themselves.
Thank you. What my post regarding immigrants has to do with North Dakota is beyond me.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 PM

189 posts, read 376,489 times
I'm sorry, but what does North Dakota have to do with anything we're talking about?? Florida is 27 times larger than ND, so I imagine the problems found in Florida are 27 times larger than the problems in ND. In a highly populated state numbers will always be high.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 AM

6 posts, read 28,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
I'm sorry, but what does North Dakota have to do with anything we're talking about?? .
They were comparing North Dakota to Florida - crime, weather, population.
Quote:
Florida is 27 times larger than ND, so I imagine the problems found in Florida are 27 times larger than the problems in ND. In a highly populated state numbers will always be high..
Not true. A state that has a high population may have a more vibrant economy, much lower unemployment rate, less crime, less foreclosures, less problems per capita than a state with a lower population. NDtrucker made some good points, especially in regards to population reasoning, cost of living increases, and hurricane risk potential. Hurricane Andrew was an extremely bad storm that hit south Florida years ago, and they had to upgrade many of the building codes to withstand higher windspeeds thereafter.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
Quote:

1. One of the main reasons there's less people, is that transplants from other places such as in the southeast can't hack it here when it gets cold, so they leave and go somewhere else.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker
2. This didn't make sense at all. There's PEOPLE, AMENITIES, and ENTERTAINMENT here as well, and still relatively low crime.
Yeah. Applebees, a movie theater and Red Lobster don't count as "amenities" worth writing home about.

Quote:
3. How can a hurricane be an easily avoidable natural disaster? Tell that to those who had there homes completely obliterated by Category 5 Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
Oh, you only get... what.... 2 weeks notice? And by the way, since you're the apparent expert on Florida, you would know that the housing stock is SIGNIFICANTLY hardened since 1992. Building codes, etc. have been drastically improved.

Quote:
[/quote]

Property taxes are cheaper due to revisions of boom-era home values. Gas is cheaper. Rents are cheaper. Costs less for contractors and materials to do work on my house, TONS of deals at the many many restaurants, educational and cultural venues around here. Hotels are cheaper for quick jaunts down to the keys (as I am doing this weekend to go snorkeling).... I really could go on and on.

Have fun in the Dakotas. I'm sure all 500 thousand of you have a great life up there. Which is great for you!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,864,920 times
Oil boom brings high-paying jobs to North Dakota - Sep. 28, 2011
North Dakota really is good if you need a well-paying entry-level job, but I wouldn't do it unless I was desperate enough like some of the folks in that article

Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 968,705 times
Quote:

Ah, the proverbial "you aint tuff nuff if you don't love frost bite" mentality. Good on you if that makes your day but most people outside of ND don't really care to make that their self-esteem pillow.

And BTW...there aren't transplants from the SE because most people transplant TO the SE. Natives from the SE don't have a need or desire to move away just as native NDs' don't.

Quote:
While I'm sure there are plenty of things to do there, you aren't really going to compare the types of entertainment options in ND to a place built on tourism I hope? I mean...don't get me wrong, the touristy stuff can get old but there is a reason it exists & thats because the majority of people prefer those entertainment options while on vacation.

Quote:
The avoidable part is that you can remain alive by leaving the direct impact area. As FYI...I lived 1 hour north of there during that hurricane and received NO DAMAGE at all. It didn't wipe out the state.

And playing the "tell that to the people who lost" card doesn't make sense since you could say that about ANY natural disaster.

Quote:
Probably depends on what you are defining as inflation but would agree that food is more expensive...but not gas. Insurance might be lower for some since the cost of replacement has gone down (though for others it is still high as their mortgage value is too high to lower the insured amount).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or