Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

[quote=camperland;21064264]They were comparing North Dakota to Florida - crime, weather, population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland
Not true. A state that has a high population may have a more vibrant economy, much lower unemployment rate, less crime, less foreclosures, less problems per capita than a state with a lower population.
That usually isn't the case. Florida is a very diverse population state. Texas, New York, Illinois and California might be the only states that even come close to the types of population diversity that Florida has. The good "social factors" states.... ND, NH, CT, etc.,.....and states in New England are stagnant growth, mostly homogenous culture and population states. The challenges aren't the same. It's like comparing the United States to Canada. Everyone knows Canada is a better place to live (cleaner, better economy, less crime, nicer people).... but.... I mean, really, how many Americans honestly would prefer to live there over the United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland
NDtrucker made some good points, especially in regards to population reasoning, cost of living increases, and hurricane risk potential. Hurricane Andrew was an extremely bad storm that hit south Florida years ago, and they had to upgrade many of the building codes to withstand higher windspeeds thereafter.
No, he didn't make very good points. Cost of living has gone DOWN over the last few years. In the mid-2000s it went out of control. It is now back in line for mostly all local indices. HOI is the only major disadvantage IMO. The "cost of living" things that are going up (health premiums, sometimes gas) are national phenomena.

Last edited by TriMT7; 09-28-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
[quote=TriMT7;21065904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland View Post
That usually isn't the case. Florida is a very diverse population state. Texas, New York, Illinois and California might be the only states that even come close to the types of population diversity that Florida has. The good "social factors" states.... ND, NH, CT, etc.,.....and states in New England are stagnant growth, mostly homogenous culture and population states. The challenges aren't the same. It's like comparing the United States to Canada. Everyone knows Canada is a better place to live (cleaner, better economy, less crime, nicer people).... but.... I mean, really, how many Americans honestly would prefer to live there over the United States?
Thank you Captain Obvious for the bolded statement. Ask France and Sweden how their population diversification is going. One of Florida's biggest issues is the quality of people coming to this state, especially the illegals and those who are income-challenged.

And I think you'd be surprised how many Americans would move to Canada ... a lot of Canadians get the best of both worlds ... summers in Canada and winters in Arizona, Florida, etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Thank you Captain Obvious for the bolded statement.
It's pretty lame to use the same monicker I adopted for another poster. Try to be a little bit more original next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Ask France and Sweden how their population diversification is going. One of Florida's biggest issues is the quality of people coming to this state, especially the illegals and those who are income-challenged.
France and Sweden's issues are an "incompatibility of civilizations" problems. Our problems are not as dire.

But you're right. The quality of people who move here is often lacking. We need visionaries and entrepreneurs and positive thinkers. Too many whiners and morose malcontents in Florida. Bad mojo.

Quote:
And I think you'd be surprised how many Americans would move to Canada ... a lot of Canadians get the best of both worlds ... summers in Canada and winters in Arizona, Florida, etc.
Really? How many Americans move to Canada vs. Canadians that move to America? I believe the number who move south is greater than those that move north, and that's WITH America having 10x the population.

If you want to "snowbird" there's places with a lot more pleasant summers than those found in Canada, which are still chilly for many people's tastes.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Wouldn't you think that the quality of people in our country overall has declined over the past couple of decades? What you see in Florida is a cross section of the U.S.A. You would have to define "income challenged" for me, but if you mean low wage earners take a look at the facts. The official poverty rate in 2010 was 15.1 percent—up from 14.3 percent in 2009. This was the third consecutive annual increase in the poverty rate. Since 2007, the poverty rate has increased by 2.6 percentage points, from 12.5 percent to 15.1 percent. The number of people in poverty in 2010 (46.2 million) is the largest number in the 52 years for which poverty estimates have been published.

Basically America is failing as a whole.

Illegal immigration is a huge problem but not only in FL where migrant
workers find work in the agricultural industry.

[quote=leftee;21066260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Thank you Captain Obvious for the bolded statement. Ask France and Sweden how their population diversification is going. One of Florida's biggest issues is the quality of people coming to this state, especially the illegals and those who are income-challenged.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
It's pretty lame to use the same monicker I adopted for another poster. Try to be a little bit more original next time.

No, I'd rather use yours to demonstrate how childish it was to use in the 1st place.

France and Sweden's issues are an "incompatibility of civilizations" problems. Our problems are not as dire.

Really ? If the quality of immigrants does not rise over the next 30 years, you'll see how dire the situation becomes. Can you say "third world country" ?

But you're right. The quality of people who move here is often lacking. We need visionaries and entrepreneurs and positive thinkers. Too many whiners and morose malcontents in Florida. Bad mojo.

You're right about that ... Florida needs forward thinkers and visionaries. Problem is none of those people want to come to Florida.
Maybe it's because they have more interests than just the beach.

Really? How many Americans move to Canada vs. Canadians that move to America? I believe the number who move south is greater than those that move north, and that's WITH America having 10x the population.

If you want to "snowbird" there's places with a lot more pleasant summers than those found in Canada, which are still chilly for many people's tastes.

Ever spent a summer in Toronto or Calgary ? ... I have and I can assure you the temperatures are not chilly. Beats the hell out of Florida in the summer ...
At least we agree that Florida has a lack of forward thinkers ...

Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Look at the big picture. We have a nation of non forward thinkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post

Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM

913 posts, read 872,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unfortunately Florida isn't exactly what one would call "progressive". A couple of examples would point toward very inadequate state funding for education and infrastructure. The state is very much a shelter for those who don't mind a lack of social/recreational services as long as they don't have to pay taxes. Very little tax revenues + slashed state spending = lower quality of life. Amenities aren't free.
i don't agree with your statement about state spending. there's nothing wrong with florida infrastructure. what's reaslly wrong with florida is that all the elderly come here with their socially conservative ideas. as a result, it has made it very unattractive to young people.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
No, I'd rather use yours to demonstrate how childish it was to use in the 1st place.
How profound.

Quote:
Really ? If the quality of immigrants does not rise over the next 30 years, you'll see how dire the situation becomes. Can you say "third world country" ?
Stop being so dramatic. What do you think was the "quality" of immigrant in the 1800s and early 1900s? Poor. Uneducated. Impoverished.

Quote:
You're right about that ... Florida needs forward thinkers and visionaries. Problem is none of those people want to come to Florida.
Maybe it's because they have more interests than just the beach.
Speak for yourself. Just because you haven't managed to attract a circle of educated, culturally astute or successful individuals living in your little town doesn't mean they don't exist.

Remember what I said about morose malcontents? You're going to attract the same type and quality of people that you come off as.

Quote:
Ever spent a summer in Toronto or Calgary ? ... I have and I can assure you the temperatures are not chilly. Beats the hell out of Florida in the summer ...
Oh right. I forgot. Go Canada! Brace yourself and the border against the hordes of Americans RUSHING to experience that world famous climate that is so agreeable and sought after by so many people!

Quote:
Actually, that's not true at all. Orlando is one of the world's incubators for tourism and attraction development. The Space Coast led the United States to the moon, and will one day again lead manned missions to Space. Miami is thriving in the arts and fashion, and is a signature destination in the United States for foreign visitors. South Florida is full of captains of industry and entertainment personalities who either call the area their first or second home.

Please, do not conflate your experiences in your town of 2000 people with what's going on (or not going on) in other parts of the state.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
How profound.

About as profound as your arrogant, condescending attitude on C-D.

Stop being so dramatic. What do you think was the "quality" of immigrant in the 1800s and early 1900s? Poor. Uneducated. Impoverished.

True, but there were jobs to be had back then and no government handouts. And who are you to tell anyone to stop anything ...

Speak for yourself. Just because you haven't managed to attract a circle of educated, culturally astute or successful individuals living in your little town doesn't mean they don't exist.

I am speaking for myself. What else do we do on C-D ? Who are you speaking for ? All of Flamingo Park ? Like I said before, Windermere is 10 miles from Orlando, your aforementioned hub of tourism development. Flamingo Park must be a hot bed of avant-garde, progressive innovators changing the world as we speak.

Remember what I said about morose malcontents? You're going to attract the same type and quality of people that you come off as.

I can't imagine who you are surrounded by then ...

Oh right. I forgot. Go Canada! Brace yourself and the border against the hordes of Americans RUSHING to experience that world famous climate that is so agreeable and sought after by so many people!

Weren't we talking about summer ? Have you actually experienced a summer in Canada ? No one said that folks wanted to winter up there.

Actually, that's not true at all. Orlando is one of the world's incubators for tourism and attraction development. The Space Coast led the United States to the moon, and will one day again lead manned missions to Space. Miami is thriving in the arts and fashion, and is a signature destination in the United States for foreign visitors. South Florida is full of captains of industry and entertainment personalities who either call the area their first or second home.

Correction, Disney is one of the world's incubators for tourism and attraction development. Orlando is a nothing but a sleepy swamp without Disney. Where are all of the biotech firms, genetic engineering companies, medical research facilities, solar technology innovators, and cutting-edge system technology businesses ? Not in Florida ...

As far as Miami, the tsunami of drug lords, high crime rate, and cesspool of undesirable people far outweighs any arts and fashion gains. Miami just happens to be geographically convenient for some who come to the U.S. There's a reason Snooki and Pauly D. liked Miami so much ... they fit right in with of the other bizarre people who come there.

Please, do not conflate your experiences in your town of 2000 people with what's going on (or not going on) in other parts of the state.

How many people live in Flamingo Park ? Enough to have a community yard sale this weekend ?
Since you seem to be an expert on Florida, why don't you offer us some ideas as to how to make the state more progressive and how to raise the intellectual quotient of the state's population ?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
In other forums I see posts where people say they are moving to Florida because it's always been their dream or something similar. The scary thing is many are asking how much gas money they will need to get there from where they are, or how much they will need up front to rent a place to live. I see this almost every day.

If you have to worry about having enough money to get to FL or how much you need to get the keys to a place, what are their chances of not having to apply for public assistance shortly after they get there in this economy? Worse yet, they get answers like "rent is cheaper here". If you can't get a job and have no money, it doesn't matter how cheap the rent is, they won't be able to pay it.

Bingo! Yet very few posters are honest with people like that. The "cheerleaders" wave them on down.

There was a guy who was leaving NY(he had a job) to move to Orlando with 3 months savings. Because it is cheaper to live here.

Well when you run out of money it really doesn't matter if it is cheaper. And the irony is many things depending on where you move from are not cheaper.

One thing many don't take into consideration is car insurance, talk to someone from the midwest or the Mid- Atlantic states and they will tell you their rates doubled.

Very foolish to move anywhere unless you have a job lined up or have at the minimum 6 months of savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida