U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
 
6 posts, read 28,844 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Some of the responses from the earlier posts trying to shore up Florida's image make it sound like they are underemployed real estate agents or chamber of commerce people look to bring more people into the state. Let's face it, Florida is just a bad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,701,668 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland View Post
Some of the responses from the earlier posts trying to shore up Florida's image make it sound like they are underemployed real estate agents or chamber of commerce people look to bring more people into the state. Let's face it, Florida is just a bad place.
You have to understand something. Many on the FL boards(especially Tampa and Sarasota) are in real estate, builders, or have a vested interest in trying to portray a certain image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
The crime, the drugs, the illegal immigrants, crazy traffic laws, they even let people carry guns around with them! We have unemployment, people on food stamps, people on unemployment, lots of foreclosures, housing prices are in the toilet, prices the stores are amazing, we have hurricanes, sinkholes, rude people, lousy drivers, bad roads, I could go on with all the problems but we have such horrible weather to boot. Everybody is out to rip you off, real estate agents and all kinds of tradespeople, even the dry cleaners is out to get you.

Do yourself a favor. Stay where you are, don't even think about Florida or even that it exists.





Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland View Post
Some of the responses from the earlier posts trying to shore up Florida's image make it sound like they are underemployed real estate agents or chamber of commerce people look to bring more people into the state. Let's face it, Florida is just a bad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
 
15,211 posts, read 31,183,846 times
Reputation: 18389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The crime, the drugs, the illegal immigrants, crazy traffic laws, they even let people carry guns around with them! We have unemployment, people on food stamps, people on unemployment, lots of foreclosures, housing prices are in the toilet, prices the stores are amazing, we have hurricanes, sinkholes, rude people, lousy drivers, bad roads, I could go on with all the problems but we have such horrible weather to boot. Everybody is out to rip you off, real estate agents and all kinds of tradespeople, even the dry cleaners is out to get you.

Do yourself a favor. Stay where you are, don't even think about Florida or even that it exists.
Yes - what he said! ^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The crime, the drugs, the illegal immigrants, crazy traffic laws, they even let people carry guns around with them! We have unemployment, people on food stamps, people on unemployment, lots of foreclosures, housing prices are in the toilet, prices the stores are amazing, we have hurricanes, sinkholes, rude people, lousy drivers, bad roads, I could go on with all the problems but we have such horrible weather to boot. Everybody is out to rip you off, real estate agents and all kinds of tradespeople, even the dry cleaners is out to get you.

Do yourself a favor. Stay where you are, don't even think about Florida or even that it exists.
Just secede from the union and form an oligarchy. We'll forget about you soon enough and I can think of a few people on this board qualified to run the new country lol ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
About as profound as your arrogant, condescending attitude on C-D.
Don't confuse facts and anything that challenges your little echo chamber here. The same four or so posters (The "it's sooo much better elsewhere" crowd) are so amazingly prone to hyperbole, exaggeration and whine so much I'm sure y'all are just peaches to be around in person.

Seriously, if it's so bad, just up and leave. If you are unhappy where you are, you are wasting your life. Vaya con dios (Oh nooes! That's one of them third world phrases, right?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
True, but there were jobs to be had back then and no government handouts. And who are you to tell anyone to stop anything ...
Yes. There WEREN'T handouts. What does that have to do with anything in terms of the impact on your life in Florida?

And fine, you don't want to stop being dramatic, continue with your one woman show. You can play to the same crowd that will egg you on and share in your misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
I am speaking for myself. What else do we do on C-D ? Who are you speaking for ? All of Flamingo Park ? Like I said before, Windermere is 10 miles from Orlando, your aforementioned hub of tourism development. Flamingo Park must be a hot bed of avant-garde, progressive innovators changing the world as we speak.
No. You profess to use YOUR experience as "what it's like in Florida." A state of 18 million people. Might as well profess to speak for what it's like living in the United States.

BTW, Flamingo Park is a NEIGHBORHOOD in West Palm Beach. And yes, there are many interesting people in this neighborhood. Including artists, working people, socialites with second homes and professional people. Thanks for asking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Correction, Disney is one of the world's incubators for tourism and attraction development. Orlando is a nothing but a sleepy swamp without Disney. Where are all of the biotech firms, genetic engineering companies, medical research facilities, solar technology innovators, and cutting-edge system technology businesses ? Not in Florida ...

On the contrary. Palm Beach County alone has both Scripps and Max Planck. A bit in the road up in the treasure coast there's Torrey Pines. In fact, I know at least two people in **gasp** Flamingo Park who work at Scripps... ya know, those progressive types.

Here, educate yourself: Florida Biotechnology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
As far as Miami, the tsunami of drug lords, high crime rate, and cesspool of undesirable people far outweighs any arts and fashion gains. Miami just happens to be geographically convenient for some who come to the U.S. There's a reason Snooki and Pauly D. liked Miami so much ... they fit right in with of the other bizarre people who come there.
The crime rate in Miami is less than or about equal to many large cities in the United States. If you could actually be bothered, do yourself a favor and see what the City-Data stats are for crime for various popular cities in the US (including less crime than Orlando).

Crime indexes (most recent, per City-Data):

Miami: 568.8

Atlanta: 633.3

Philadelphia: 577.1

Minneapolis: 538.4

Chicago: 635.1

Houston: 603.2


BTW: What you call "condescending" I call a distaste and disgust for willful ignorance. If you don't want to see it, cut back on the willful ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
How many people live in Flamingo Park ? Enough to have a community yard sale this weekend ?
Flamingo Park is one neighborhood in West Palm Beach. City population, around 100k. County population, 1.25 million. Regional population, about 5 million.

There. Now your ignorance is cured on THAT subject too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Since you seem to be an expert on Florida, why don't you offer us some ideas as to how to make the state more progressive and how to raise the intellectual quotient of the state's population ?
I know the "intellectual quotient" of the state's population would raise significantly if just a select few posters on this board found their way to Canada.... or wherever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Don't confuse facts and anything that challenges your little echo chamber here. The same four or so posters (The "it's sooo much better elsewhere" crowd) are so amazingly prone to hyperbole, exaggeration and whine so much I'm sure y'all are just peaches to be around in person.

I could say the same about the symphony of Florida cheerleaders you with whom you play who refuse to see there's anything wrong with their beloved swamp. Talk about exaggeration ... go back and read some of your own posts. And read the title of the OP while you're at it.


Seriously, if it's so bad, just up and leave. If you are unhappy where you are, you are wasting your life. Vaya con dios (Oh nooes! That's one of them third world phrases, right?!)

Thanks for your permission. I am working on an exit from this misery as soon as humanly possible. But in the meantime, I'll continue to give my dose of Florida reality to C-D posters. And even after I move, I'll tell it like it is in Florida ... at least the parts I'm familiar with.

Can I count on you for a going away present ? How about a plastic flamingo for my new front yard ?


Yes. There WEREN'T handouts. What does that have to do with anything in terms of the impact on your life in Florida?

My taxes are paying for these lowlifes; they're crowding the roads I drive on and consuming natural resources. Oh, and I forgot the increase in crime ....


And fine, you don't want to stop being dramatic, continue with your one woman show. You can play to the same crowd that will egg you on and share in your misery.

One woman show ? Try again genius ... there's a lot of people who are here or have left here who don't like Florida. Most of them don't post on C-D, but some of us feel that both sides should be heard.


No. You profess to use YOUR experience as "what it's like in Florida." A state of 18 million people. Might as well profess to speak for what it's like living in the United States.

Whose experience should I be using ? Ponce de Leon ? Should I take a poll next time before I post ?


BTW, Flamingo Park is a NEIGHBORHOOD in West Palm Beach. And yes, there are many interesting people in this neighborhood. Including artists, working people, socialites with second homes and professional people. Thanks for asking.

As there are some interesting people in the Orlando area ... just not enough to divert my attention away from the area negatives.

On the contrary. Palm Beach County alone has both Scripps and Max Planck. A bit in the road up in the treasure coast there's Torrey Pines. In fact, I know at least two people in **gasp** Flamingo Park who work at Scripps... ya know, those progressive types.

Here, educate yourself: Florida Biotechnology News

Already knew about them ... and already knew about the tax dollars Floridians had to shell out to attract them to the area. About a million per job created wasn't it ? Some people would say that's a waste of taxpayer money but I'll reserve judgement until I do some research on progressive companies in other states.

The crime rate in Miami is less than or about equal to many large cities in the United States. If you could actually be bothered, do yourself a favor and see what the City-Data stats are for crime for various popular cities in the US (including less crime than Orlando).

Crime indexes (most recent, per City-Data):

Miami: 568.8

Atlanta: 633.3

Philadelphia: 577.1

Minneapolis: 538.4

Chicago: 635.1

Houston: 603.2

Try this one on for size ... Miami is 23rd on the most dangerous city list.

The Most Dangerous Cities In America


Crockett and Tubbs must have retired by now ?


BTW: What you call "condescending" I call a distaste and disgust for willful ignorance. If you don't want to see it, cut back on the willful ignorance.

As soon as you and the others cut down on the bloviating about Florida ... tell it like it is ... certainly you don't like everything about Florida.

I know the "intellectual quotient" of the state's population would raise significantly if just a select few posters on this board found their way to Canada.... or wherever.

What, you don't want anyone to challenge some of the BS you throw out there ? That wouldn't be any fun, would it ?

Look in the mirror, click your heels together, and repeat after me ... "there's no place like Florida, there's no place like Florida, there's no place like Florida ..."

Off to see the wizard ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I could say the same about the symphony of Florida cheerleaders you with whom you play who refuse to see there's anything wrong with their beloved swamp. Talk about exaggeration ... go back and read some of your own posts. And read the title of the OP while you're at it.
First, for God's sake learn to use the quote button!

Second, my post record stands as being honest and balanced in my treatment of Florida - both the issues it faces, and its positives. I don't suffer from the chemical (possibly poor tolerance to heat induced) imbalance that the morose malcontents on this board do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Thanks for your permission. I am working on an exit from this misery as soon as humanly possible. But in the meantime, I'll continue to give my dose of Florida reality to C-D posters. And even after I move, I'll tell it like it is in Florida ... at least the parts I'm familiar with.
Does of reality? You mean snake oil? About as credible as a TV Evangelist warning about the dangers of Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
My taxes are paying for these lowlifes; they're crowding the roads I drive on and consuming natural resources. Oh, and I forgot the increase in crime ....
Far be it from me to ever let facts get in the way of your opinions, but you DO realize that crime in the United States is at its lowest since the 1960s.... even WITH the illegal aliens that have grown in population during the past decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Whose experience should I be using ? Ponce de Leon ? Should I take a poll next time before I post ?
Here's a tip. You might want to qualify your answers in the future, to be a bit less.... overreaching.... that way it doesn't sound like you speak for "the rest of us" or "all of us" in Florida when really, I wouldn't elect you to speak for a group of girlscouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
One woman show ? Try again genius ... there's a lot of people who are here or have left here who don't like Florida. Most of them don't post on C-D, but some of us feel that both sides should be heard.
You will find people who don't like ANY PLACE. FLorida, New York, Europe, Kansas... you will find people who are HAPPY in ANY PLACE. Usually, whiners are more apt to think everyone wants to hear them whine, and those with negative opinions are more vocal about something over those with positive or neutral experiences.

But, if you're (or any on else) is going to post gross exaggerations, hyperventilating accounts of how miserable your life is because of Florida, or how the streets were paved in gold elsewhere DON'T BE SURPRISED WHEN SOMEONE CHALLENGES YOU ON IT.

That's what I find so embarrassing about you and the other resident malcontents. You cheer each other on, tit for tat, and if someone points out how you're WRONG on one or many points, or otherwise registers a contrary opinion, then you get out the boards and nails and play the "stop prosecuting me for having an opinion I'm entitled to in Amerrrikah" card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Already knew about them ... and already knew about the tax dollars Floridians had to shell out to attract them to the area. About a million per job created wasn't it ? Some people would say that's a waste of taxpayer money but I'll reserve judgement until I do some research on progressive companies in other states.
People who talk about how it costs "X amount per job" fail to see the big picture. You also realize that is how things get done these days. A small research corp actually announced it was moving from Boca to Texas because... wait for it.... TEXAS GAVE THEM MORE MONEY IN INCENTIVES TO MOVE.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
-Try this one on for size ... Miami is 23rd on the most dangerous city list.
Not too bad. Considering St. Petersburg, Philly, Washington DC, Little Rock, Oakland, Memphis, Nashville, New Haven, St. Louis, etc. are all ahead in stats, and I'd live in basically any of those places no problem. (BTW, none of the aforementioned have the "illegal immigrations" adding to the crime problem, like Miami).


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
As soon as you and the others cut down on the bloviating about Florida ... tell it like it is ... certainly you don't like everything about Florida.
Point out where I "bloviate" or exaggerate about how wonderful it is in Florida, and how there are no problems in Florida? Or how no place is better than Florida?

Don't spend too much time, because you cannot. I only challenge wrong info. I rarely cheer lead, as I really would have no problem living somewhere else other than Florida. (You can bet, however, that if I DID move and ended up not liking it, I wouldn't spend all day on the message boards letting everyone know how much I hate it, and how much better Florida is!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
What, you don't want anyone to challenge some of the BS you throw out there ? That wouldn't be any fun, would it ?
On the contrary, I'm BEGGING for intelligent debate on the subject. To date, there have been one or two. Alas, the Florida malcontents wouldn't impress a high school debate coach.

The PROBLEM is that most intelligent people have something called "perspective" and can consider all sides of an argument. Or, they realize that just as there is "no one way of living" in the United States, that their own experiences may not speak for everyone. Their intellect also makes them realize that most of the pattern of problems in Florida is not exactly unique to the state ... our Florida malcontents just can't get past their personal issues and rosy picture of "the way it was" to understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
Look in the mirror, click your heels together, and repeat after me ... "there's no place like Florida, there's no place like Florida, there's no place like Florida ..."
Something brought you here from elsewhere. The fact that Florida did not meet whatever expectations you had for it is not the state's fault. Once you realize that, you'll probably find some peace with the state.

Hopefully soon. If we have to endure your version of "telling it like it is" any longer we may all start being Debbie Downers. But that's usually the goal, right? Misery loves company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,378 posts, read 7,899,923 times
Reputation: 2929
I hope I am not being thrown into the 'cheerleading' crowd. I have explained how Florida really is. I sate that it's hot.... but I also state that I like the heat and expected it to be hot when I moved here. Anyone who doesn't expect hot and humid weather during the summer is a complete idiot.

I have stated there are bugs here but you can keep them out by doing some maintenance.

I have stated that the unskilled need not move here, especially without a job as they will not be able to find work here. I have conceded that wages are lower her, but explained why.... which is fact.

I have not commented on cultural activities because, yes, Florida does not have the some sort of cultural activities as DC, Boston, NYC, etc. But compared to where I come from, it's much better.

I have stated that there are some good school's here, but you have to do your research and seek them out. Like all places there are good and bad school's. Does Florida typically have more bad school's than good? It seems that way, but I have only had my kids in two different school's here. Both which have been great so far.


I find it interesting how there are so many people on this forum that say they hate it here and cannot wait to leave. Once they leave the continue to come back to this forum and post. I don't get it. What is even more interesting, is if you look at all posts by that user they pretty much only post in Florida Forums....... even more confusing.

Okay we get it. You guys must continue the crusade of highlighting the bad parts of Florida. We got it. We understand your crusade is to make sure people know the 'real deal'. Hate to break it you, but just because your life sucks, your lonely, miserable, probably make crap for money doesn't mean you are doing anyone a favor by highlighting only the bad (yeah, yeah, I know your response.... "There's nothing good about Florida"). How I would hate to be like you folks with a half empty sort of outlook on life.

Here's the facts. Every place.... yep EVERY SINGLE PLACE has it's bad things and good things. The world we be a pretty boring place if we all like the same sort of things. I like to think that I am a pretty good indicator of how good or bad Florida is compared to some of the other places I have lived. Mainly because I have kept the same job with the same company in the same department amongst 3 different states. Because of this my income has not been affected with my moves, pretty much allowing me to continue a pretty flat standard of living amongst moves.

I like it here. Many others like it here. Many will move here and like it as well. I understand there are many that do not like it here. Perhaps more dislike it than like it since I have been told more people are moving out than moving in. This is not a bad place for everyone. In fact, I absolutely love it here so far.

If you must really warn the masses from making dire decisions to save this world as a public service. perhaps you should go to your local grocer and tell shopper's not to buy the brands that you like, warn car buyers of a model you hate or stomp around your local department store and advise people to buy boxers instead of briefs (whatever your preference is). Frankly, that's what crazy insane people would do... and essentially that's what you people are doing here. Yeah... I said it... you people are crazy. Furthermore, I have a feeling some of these people are on here as multiple users. Whack Jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
Reputation: 6010
Well said Kash. Your points have been made before by myself and others, but the anti-FL crowd is always changing, always the same story though. Maybe you're right, multiple ID's set up to create a crusade's soapbox. The most ridiculous postings I find on the FL boards is the heat. I agree, anyone who moves to FL and does not expect high temperatures and high humidity has a screw loose. Same on bugs. Its a sub tropical climate. Otherwise, your post certainly points out that this is NOT where you came from, it is what it is and in my humble opinion, its a great place to be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I hope I am not being thrown into the 'cheerleading' crowd. I have explained how Florida really is. I sate that it's hot.... but I also state that I like the heat and expected it to be hot when I moved here. Anyone who doesn't expect hot and humid weather during the summer is a complete idiot.

I have stated there are bugs here but you can keep them out by doing some maintenance.

I have stated that the unskilled need not move here, especially without a job as they will not be able to find work here. I have conceded that wages are lower her, but explained why.... which is fact.

I have not commented on cultural activities because, yes, Florida does not have the some sort of cultural activities as DC, Boston, NYC, etc. But compared to where I come from, it's much better.

I have stated that there are some good school's here, but you have to do your research and seek them out. Like all places there are good and bad school's. Does Florida typically have more bad school's than good? It seems that way, but I have only had my kids in two different school's here. Both which have been great so far.


I find it interesting how there are so many people on this forum that say they hate it here and cannot wait to leave. Once they leave the continue to come back to this forum and post. I don't get it. What is even more interesting, is if you look at all posts by that user they pretty much only post in Florida Forums....... even more confusing.

Okay we get it. You guys must continue the crusade of highlighting the bad parts of Florida. We got it. We understand your crusade is to make sure people know the 'real deal'. Hate to break it you, but just because your life sucks, your lonely, miserable, probably make crap for money doesn't mean you are doing anyone a favor by highlighting only the bad (yeah, yeah, I know your response.... "There's nothing good about Florida"). How I would hate to be like you folks with a half empty sort of outlook on life.

Here's the facts. Every place.... yep EVERY SINGLE PLACE has it's bad things and good things. The world we be a pretty boring place if we all like the same sort of things. I like to think that I am a pretty good indicator of how good or bad Florida is compared to some of the other places I have lived. Mainly because I have kept the same job with the same company in the same department amongst 3 different states. Because of this my income has not been affected with my moves, pretty much allowing me to continue a pretty flat standard of living amongst moves.

I like it here. Many others like it here. Many will move here and like it as well. I understand there are many that do not like it here. Perhaps more dislike it than like it since I have been told more people are moving out than moving in. This is not a bad place for everyone. In fact, I absolutely love it here so far.

If you must really warn the masses from making dire decisions to save this world as a public service. perhaps you should go to your local grocer and tell shopper's not to buy the brands that you like, warn car buyers of a model you hate or stomp around your local department store and advise people to buy boxers instead of briefs (whatever your preference is). Frankly, that's what crazy insane people would do... and essentially that's what you people are doing here. Yeah... I said it... you people are crazy. Furthermore, I have a feeling some of these people are on here as multiple users. Whack Jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top