U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM

15,211 posts, read 31,178,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
15 years ago it wasn't on the list, its on the list now. Florida towns dominated the list 15 years ago. One year they had 5 in the top 10. That was last decade. Things have changed. Money doesn't just guess. They do surveys on what is important to Money readers in a place to live. Then they do research and identify areas where crime data, employment, etc. match. It's helpful to people who may be like minded with Money readers. It may not be helpful to someone that spends their days watching daytime TV, drinking and never heard of the magazine or list because they may have a different opinion on what a good place to live would look like.
Really - how come we are still the 4th most populated state? For every bashing malcontent who hates it here and leaves we have at least 3 or 4 more who want to take their place. That, my friend, is never gonna change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,949,895 times
let's all move to cheery solon, ohio. cultural mecca of the midwest!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,338,572 times
Quote:
....Money doesn't just guess. They do surveys on what is important to Money readers in a place to live. Then they do research and identify areas where crime data, employment, etc. match.....
So bottom line, the Money list is like any committee decision.

My bride and I felt like the most outstanding natural attibute a place could have is a gulf coast beach. The biggest safety factor for us is no chance for icy roads, ever. The key financial factor is abundant choice of liveable homes at bargain prices. Guess which state contains OUR top 100 places to live?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,412,852 times
[quote=gypsychic;20657093
So Kyle, are you saying those unheard of towns are "progressive?" Sorry, I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

I hate to disagree with you, but by and large yes they are. Most have diversified economies, quality schools and sufficient infrastructure, as well as controlled growth and/or zoning. A vast majority of Florida cities don't have those desirable features that translate into overall livability.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 AM

36 posts, read 77,006 times
People come to Florida either running to something or running away from something. The low quality of the population helps make it a less-than-adequate place to live.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM

378 posts, read 724,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So bottom line, the Money list is like any committee decision.

My bride and I felt like the most outstanding natural attibute a place could have is a gulf coast beach. The biggest safety factor for us is no chance for icy roads, ever. The key financial factor is abundant choice of liveable homes at bargain prices. Guess which state contains OUR top 100 places to live?
How long have you lived in Florida? At 70 mph on the interstates when the clouds break during the summer and dump rain it's just as bad as ice. Hydroplaning and no visibility outside your windshield is a problem. I made a 3 hour trip each way to visit my son in college monthly for years. Almost every time it rained there were accidents that caused the trip to become a 6 hour ordeal.

Hope you love Florida. If your love of Florida turns to hate as it has for millions of people who left the state before you, you may find that cheap home is even cheaper in the future and you can't sell it.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,933,865 times
Quote:
How long have you lived in Florida? At 70 mph on the interstates when the clouds break during the summer and dump rain it's just as bad as ice. Hydroplaning and no visibility outside your windshield is a problem. I made a 3 hour trip each way to visit my son in college monthly for years. Almost every time it rained there were accidents that caused the trip to become a 6 hour ordeal.

Hope you love Florida. If your love of Florida turns to hate as it has for millions of people who left the state before you, you may find that cheap home is even cheaper in the future and you can't sell it.
Alf, as a Florida driver, when was the last time you found yourself, with no previous warning, suddenly negotiating black ice?

Hydroplaning in the rain can be a genuine problem, but I've been in Florida for almost 6 years now (with a kid 3 hours away at FSU for 4 of them) and have not experienced driving conditions that came anywhere near what I experienced, year after year, sometimes beginning in October and ending in May, in Denver.

If we are to be considered "running away" from that weather (and embracing hurricanes and/or isolated downpours), so be it. I left Colorado, but I don't hate it. I just missed the beach, was tired of the snow, and disliked how crowded it was becoming.

In our own quiet ways, my husband and I are trying to help make our community better. It's not going to happen overnight, but we can take baby steps. I just got my preschool to join the city's recycling program.

I think user8 is correct. We do not need to take these lists to heart.
I do like to peruse them, but would not base life-changing decisions on their information. It's good to read the info here at CD, but if I believed all of the hyperbole in the Florida forum, I would have a fairly warped view of the place.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,949,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Alf, as a Florida driver, when was the last time you found yourself, with no previous warning, suddenly negotiating black ice?
seriously. at least when it rains you can actually see the water on the road.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,862,769 times
Quote:
Money Mags Sept. 2011 issue is out with their popular "Best Places To Live" in the US list. No Florida towns were in the top 10. Only two were in the top 100, including a 97th spot. 97th? why bother. Why such a poor showing?
Because it's a really subjective list? I wouldn't want to live in any of those "top 10" towns. The largest town has 40 K people, what a Zzzzzzzz fest

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,338,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
seriously. at least when it rains you can actually see the water on the road.
And...believe it or not, it rains in the other 49 states, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or