U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 AM

378 posts, read 723,524 times

Advertisements

I think you're right, Harry and Ethel aren't moving to FL anymore. Can't sell their home in Michigan to move even if they wanted to. Their kids and grand kids aren't coming here either, no jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,691,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That's OK. This hasn't been the same country I grew up in since the 1970's.
When a state basis a huge percentage of it's economy on the notion that retirees will relocate there and the retirees decide to look elsewhere or stay put, it's not OK.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
If I were a retiree, I wouldn't be going any where not matter where I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
When a state basis a huge percentage of it's economy on the notion that retirees will relocate there and the retirees decide to look elsewhere or stay put, it's not OK.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,268,062 times
Retirees who move to Florida and bring fat northern pensions to spend are really keeping a lot of stores in business in my area these days.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,268,062 times
Also, recently one of those folks fled to Tennessee from my neighborhood. They lost a lot on their home here, but they really wanted to get out of here!

I spoke with a few of my friends and without any prompting from me, they expressed a strong desire to leave FL. (young families with kids) Oh and add to that two high up managers who also said they regretted moving to FL from the Northeast! (these are highly educated men with good salaries)

I think there is a lot of pent up demand to get out of here now, but folks are held back by jobs (if you have one, you hold onto it) and of course, underwater houses.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Also, recently one of those folks fled to Tennessee from my neighborhood. They lost a lot on their home here, but they really wanted to get out of here!

I spoke with a few of my friends and without any prompting from me, they expressed a strong desire to leave FL. (young families with kids) Oh and add to that two high up managers who also said they regretted moving to FL from the Northeast! (these are highly educated men with good salaries)

I think there is a lot of pent up demand to get out of here now, but folks are held back by jobs (if you have one, you hold onto it) and of course, underwater houses.

Moving away appears to be a prevalent desire. I have had the same conversation with many of my neighbors who for various reasons (primarily because of their current salary or upside down mortgages) want to leave Central Florida but cannot. Mr. Put Florida Back to Work (Governor Rick Snott) in my opinion has really done a number on the economy by cutting as much quality-of-life funding as possible. It's doing nothing to keep desirable citizens here nor attract new ones. Furthermore his new jobs initiative seems patterned after what Rick Perry did in Texas, by increasing the number of jobs and keeping unemployment down with low-paying Service sector jobs. Unfortunately that's been largely overlooked while fawning over Perry's "success".

Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,840,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Moving away appears to be a prevalent desire. I have had the same conversation with many of my neighbors who for various reasons (primarily because of their current salary or upside down mortgages) want to leave Central Florida but cannot. Mr. Put Florida Back to Work (Governor Rick Snott) in my opinion has really done a number on the economy by cutting as much quality-of-life funding as possible. It's doing nothing to keep desirable citizens here nor attract new ones. Furthermore his new jobs initiative seems patterned after what Rick Perry did in Texas, by increasing the number of jobs and keeping unemployment down with low-paying Service sector jobs. Unfortunately that's been largely overlooked while fawning over Perry's "success".
Perhaps you'd rather have California's double digit unemployment rate (~12% currently) as the topic of the hour instead?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,391,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Perhaps you'd rather have California's double digit unemployment rate (~12% currently) as the topic of the hour instead?
Florida is not far behind at 10.7% and has been over 10% since May 2009.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
At least California has something going for it (a diversified economy for instance) other than weather. As mentioned above the unemployment rate is not much different.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,888,620 times
Wow, are you telling me that after many years of people flocking to the sunbelt states they are now leaving sunbelt states in hoards? Get out of here... you must be kidding!

Surely people must be happy here. After all, they moved here to fulfill those big dreams they had during the boom years.

Black text is what their dreams were. Red is their reality.

A) Buy real estate at all time high's, it's just going to keep climbing and I can use it like a piggy bank. Housing values crashed. Instead of being a piggy bank the house is now a drag on your finances... basically ticking you off every time you open the door to your home.

B) Companies are thrilled to higher those that come down from the North because of their work ethic and education. (Can you believe how cheap housing is in Florida compared to the NE??) These individuals demanded large salaries. At the time the companies could afford it, so they didn't mind. These fat cats have now been laid off, faced pay decreases or have not had a raise in a very long time. Any of the events mentioned would pretty much tick anyone off and make them bitter.

C) I'll use my home as a piggy bank and tank out a 2nd or even a 3rd mortgage. I'll pay it back when I sell my house. Besides, I am going to get a raise every year and a promotion in the next few years. Nothing like spending somebody else's money (credit). At this point, your happy to have any job. Most likely a promotion nor a raise occurred. In fact, you may be making less money and you are swamped with debt.

D) I'm not missing my family too much. We're all doing well and can afford to have them fly to Florida for a vacation in the winter and I can fly up north in the summer. Its the best of both worlds and I don't miss my friends and family as much as I would otherwise. Sucks when credit tightens and nobody can afford to fly back and forth to see one another. Makes you miss home. Plus, you talk to them on the phone. You are upside down on your house because you bought it during the mid 2000's. They're doing better financially because they bought their home in the late 90's or before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or