U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,493,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Wow, are you telling me that after many years of people flocking to the sunbelt states they are now leaving sunbelt states in hoards? Get out of here... you must be kidding!

Surely people must be happy here. After all, they moved here to fulfill those big dreams they had during the boom years.

Black text is what their dreams were. Red is their reality.

A) Buy real estate at all time high's, it's just going to keep climbing and I can use it like a piggy bank. Housing values crashed. Instead of being a piggy bank the house is now a drag on your finances... basically ticking you off every time you open the door to your home.

B) Companies are thrilled to higher those that come down from the North because of their work ethic and education. (Can you believe how cheap housing is in Florida compared to the NE??) These individuals demanded large salaries. At the time the companies could afford it, so they didn't mind. These fat cats have now been laid off, faced pay decreases or have not had a raise in a very long time. Any of the events mentioned would pretty much tick anyone off and make them bitter.

C) I'll use my home as a piggy bank and tank out a 2nd or even a 3rd mortgage. I'll pay it back when I sell my house. Besides, I am going to get a raise every year and a promotion in the next few years. Nothing like spending somebody else's money (credit). At this point, your happy to have any job. Most likely a promotion nor a raise occurred. In fact, you may be making less money and you are swamped with debt.

D) I'm not missing my family too much. We're all doing well and can afford to have them fly to Florida for a vacation in the winter and I can fly up north in the summer. Its the best of both worlds and I don't miss my friends and family as much as I would otherwise. Sucks when credit tightens and nobody can afford to fly back and forth to see one another. Makes you miss home. Plus, you talk to them on the phone. You are upside down on your house because you bought it during the mid 2000's. They're doing better financially because they bought their home in the late 90's or before.
Thats a pretty accurate description. A lot of people moved there with what they thought was very secure employment only to lose that job shortly after arriving. I really agree with (D). Thats the main reason that we moved back to N.H. to be closer to the grandkids. When we lived down there on a good year we would see them once or twice. Not good. Theres a whole lot more to life than warmer weather.

Last edited by Ken E; 09-06-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,857,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
At least California has something going for it (a diversified economy for instance) other than weather. As mentioned above the unemployment rate is not much different.
Still, throughout the great recession, places like CA and MI have had much worse unemployment rates than FL. MI finally turned around after the government bailed out the auto industry. CA continues to have a worse UE rate than FL.

I'd rather have people work entry-level jobs than becoming part of the welfare state, personally.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM

570 posts, read 663,670 times
Quote:
Wow, are you telling me that after many years of people flocking to the sunbelt states they are now leaving sunbelt states in hoards? Get out of here... you must be kidding!

Surely people must be happy here. After all, they moved here to fulfill those big dreams they had during the boom years.

Black text is what their dreams were. Red is their reality.

A) Buy real estate at all time high's, it's just going to keep climbing and I can use it like a piggy bank. Housing values crashed. Instead of being a piggy bank the house is now a drag on your finances... basically ticking you off every time you open the door to your home.

B) Companies are thrilled to higher those that come down from the North because of their work ethic and education. (Can you believe how cheap housing is in Florida compared to the NE??) These individuals demanded large salaries. At the time the companies could afford it, so they didn't mind. These fat cats have now been laid off, faced pay decreases or have not had a raise in a very long time. Any of the events mentioned would pretty much tick anyone off and make them bitter.

C) I'll use my home as a piggy bank and tank out a 2nd or even a 3rd mortgage. I'll pay it back when I sell my house. Besides, I am going to get a raise every year and a promotion in the next few years. Nothing like spending somebody else's money (credit). At this point, your happy to have any job. Most likely a promotion nor a raise occurred. In fact, you may be making less money and you are swamped with debt.

D) I'm not missing my family too much. We're all doing well and can afford to have them fly to Florida for a vacation in the winter and I can fly up north in the summer. Its the best of both worlds and I don't miss my friends and family as much as I would otherwise. Sucks when credit tightens and nobody can afford to fly back and forth to see one another. Makes you miss home. Plus, you talk to them on the phone. You are upside down on your house because you bought it during the mid 2000's. They're doing better financially because they bought their home in the late 90's or before.
Please

Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,896,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Please
and thank you's!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,709,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Moving away appears to be a prevalent desire. I have had the same conversation with many of my neighbors who for various reasons (primarily because of their current salary or upside down mortgages) want to leave Central Florida but cannot. Mr. Put Florida Back to Work (Governor Rick Snott) in my opinion has really done a number on the economy by cutting as much quality-of-life funding as possible. It's doing nothing to keep desirable citizens here nor attract new ones. Furthermore his new jobs initiative seems patterned after what Rick Perry did in Texas, by increasing the number of jobs and keeping unemployment down with low-paying Service sector jobs. Unfortunately that's been largely overlooked while fawning over Perry's "success".
I don't know a single person who has a desire to "move away" because they are sick of Florida (and I work in a very large office environment and have a well defined social network). I DO know of two people who have expressed a desire to move to New York from Florida, but only because they want to live in New York, and not because they have anything against Florida.

In fact, a friend of mine was recently passed over for a job at a new company when a lateral from (funnily enough) New York City expressed a desire to move to Florida and got preferential placement.

Seems to me those that want to move tend to be many of the same people without skills or a career that makes a comfortable living in Florida. Or, they chased real estate related jobs down here when all the magazines were touting same, and suddenly aren't making money anymore. Everyone wants to be a desk clerk and make $25/hour. Good luck with that, even in heavily unionized states.

As for Florida not being "family oriented" that's a crock. There is everything down here for families that there is in most other places in the United States. In many cases, MORE. Don't move to Naples or "The Villages" if you want to live somewhere where there are families!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM

378 posts, read 724,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't know a single person who has a desire to "move away" because they are sick of Florida (and I work in a very large office environment and have a well defined social network). I DO know of two people who have expressed a desire to move to New York from Florida, but only because they want to live in New York, and not because they have anything against Florida.

In fact, a friend of mine was recently passed over for a job at a new company when a lateral from (funnily enough) New York City expressed a desire to move to Florida and got preferential placement.

Seems to me those that want to move tend to be many of the same people without skills or a career that makes a comfortable living in Florida. Or, they chased real estate related jobs down here when all the magazines were touting same, and suddenly aren't making money anymore. Everyone wants to be a desk clerk and make $25/hour. Good luck with that, even in heavily unionized states.

As for Florida not being "family oriented" that's a crock. There is everything down here for families that there is in most other places in the United States. In many cases, MORE. Don't move to Naples or "The Villages" if you want to live somewhere where there are families!
People used to say a 1000 people a day move to FL. 1000 people a day leave FL too. It's a revolving door but there were more moving in than leaving since the 50's. That has changed. It's about even, entering dangerious terretory for FL where the state may go from growing to losing population. Money mag just reflects the changing attitudes.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,709,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
People used to say a 1000 people a day move to FL. 1000 people a day leave FL too. It's a revolving door but there were more moving in than leaving since the 50's. That has changed. It's about even, entering dangerious terretory for FL where the state may go from growing to losing population. Money mag just reflects the changing attitudes.

1000 people/day moving here is untenable and unsustainable. It's bad for the environment, bad for the water supply, and bad for infrastructure.

Florida's population is still growing. When the economy improves throughout the country, expect a lot of people to move around from everywhere to everywhere. People are stuck in their homes everywhere, or tethered to jobs they do not like. Also, there are more than enough baby boomers retiring to allow HEALTHY growth in Florida, and allow other states to have retiree population growth as well.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,760,220 times
I just think people have unrealistic concepts when they move to Florida.

Florida is not the prescription for unfulfilled job expectations anywhere else-----the recession down here has take an enormous toll, and those thinking they are coming into untold opportunities moving to Florida are going to be shocked.

That does not make it a bad place to live-----it just places Florida amongst the many other states that are suffering through turbulent economic times now------so if you are planning on moving here dont mix up sunshine and warm weather with bountiful employment opportunities.

Before you pack the bags and head here do due diligence and investigate the employment opportunites carefully-------opportunities and salary are very limited now and if you dont explore before you move, you may be amongst the many that are caught in the revolving door.

I dont dislike living in Florida----just trying to pass off some realistic advice before you bolt down here.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Well, you have to look between the lines. Naples has a 60% home vacancy rate, yet they say the population has increased. So where are all these people living? Need to read the rest of the stats. The Hispanic population of Naples has increased and is the now the majority. Plus, the childhood population has also increased. My take on this is that; Hispanics already living in Naples are having more children. New/transplants/older people are not moving here.
That is not true. As of 2010 there are just over 25 percent Hispanics in Collier County.

Collier County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Perhaps you'd rather have California's double digit unemployment rate (~12% currently) as the topic of the hour instead?
California's rate for July was 12.4 and Florida's was 11 percent.

Where I use to live, in Fort Myers/Cape Coral, it is 11.6. It's a shame because so many folks see the affordable homes and think they can find a job. I'll agree with Kash on that front. So many have the attitude that they have a better work ethic than those Southerners and they will get a job when others can't. I got news for them. I lived there for about 8 years and never heard a Southern accent. They are almost all from somewhere else. And they've been in Florida longer. Chances are not good that you'll be hired.

Yet, we have seen numerous comments like that on the forum.

Collier County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post

I think there is a lot of pent up demand to get out of here now, but folks are held back by jobs (if you have one, you hold onto it) and of course, underwater houses.
I think you are right. I know a lot of people that have wanted to move out for several years but are stuck. However, now that housing prices have come down they may be less eager. However, if they can't find jobs they will move away.

Quote:
At the time the companies could afford it, so they didn't mind.
You may know some people that this happened to but I don't. Everyone I met said they were willing to take the pay cut due to the weather. Traditionally, no matter the career, Florida paid in sunshine. Of course there were a lot of people that came down for construction jobs. They did NOT make what they could up north, though. No matter, those jobs have dried up almost across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or