U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,272,935 times

Advertisements

Well, my brother has a master's degree in a science field. His job paid $70k but his entire division just closed here in FL.

I have an MBA and my husband has a BA. (both from FL schools)

I would hardly say we are losers who can't find work anywhere. In fact, I see the opposite with the folks who are leaving or want to leave. It takes a good bit of money to move a family out of state. Many people just can't scrape together enough to even rent a moving truck or put a deposit down in a rental house. There are better markets for those who have education and skills that are in demand nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Well, my brother has a master's degree in a science field. His job paid $70k but his entire division just closed here in FL.
And his division in Florida closing in Florida is..... Florida's fault? I assume that his was a division of a national company? Or was it government water management or something like that that was recently cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL
I have an MBA and my husband has a BA. (both from FL schools)

I would hardly say we are losers who can't find work anywhere.
If your MBA and experience is such that you need to work somewhere that is full of larger companies, then you might need to live in the larger cities of Florida.

I have friends who work retail management in Florida and make 50-70k. Experience valued over education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL
In fact, I see the opposite with the folks who are leaving or want to leave. It takes a good bit of money to move a family out of state. Many people just can't scrape together enough to even rent a moving truck or put a deposit down in a rental house. There are better markets for those who have education and skills that are in demand nationwide.
Depends on the skill, and it depends on the market. For example, Bank of America is laying off thousands and thousands, headquartered in North Carolina. Maybe we should blame North Carolina for that?

It really does not cost that much to move out of state if you don't lug years and truckloads worth of crap around with you when you move. Couple thousand bucks and whatever you need to get into a rental or new home purchase. And if the job is THAT much better (and will net you even 10,000/per year more after taxes and everything, which allegedly is pretty easy with all the high paying jobs available elsewhere in the country) then it is a poor business decision to NOT find the money SOMEWHERE, because anything you lay out now even in a credit card will be taken care of within a year or two.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,899,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It really does not cost that much to move out of state if you don't lug years and truckloads worth of crap around with you when you move. Couple thousand bucks and whatever you need to get into a rental or new home purchase. And if the job is THAT much better (and will net you even 10,000/per year more after taxes and everything, which allegedly is pretty easy with all the high paying jobs available elsewhere in the country) then it is a poor business decision to NOT find the money SOMEWHERE, because anything you lay out now even in a credit card will be taken care of within a year or two.
Agreed. Moving does not cost that much if you HAVE to move. It's called, purging your stuff. Have a garage sale. You will be shocked how much money you will have after selling most of your possessions. Guess what? The more you sell, the less you have to move. It saves money!

You may need to sell almost everything so you have gas money and a deposit for your new place. Get your new place, start your new awesome job and slowly begin buying what you need. Go to Garage Sales to replace items you sold. Craigslist is a good place to find furniture. Flea Markets is an okay place to find small appliances.

But hey, selling your stuff is inconvenient and you can't part with it to move to a "better place". Obviously not being able to make a sacrifice to fulfill one's dreams is... well... obviously..."Florida's Fault"

Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Quote:
I don't know a single person who has a desire to "move away" because they are sick of Florida (and I work in a very large office environment and have a well defined social network). I DO know of two people who have expressed a desire to move to New York from Florida, but only because they want to live in New York, and not because they have anything against Florida.

As for Florida not being "family oriented" that's a crock. There is everything down here for families that there is in most other places in the United States. In many cases, MORE. Don't move to Naples or "The Villages" if you want to live somewhere where there are families!
To the contrary, I know of three families that moved away because they didn't like Florida. One of the families moved out because they missed the neighborhood friendliness they had up North; a second family moved due to a incident with a child predator and thought they were too many degenerates living here, and the 3rd moved because they couldn't get acclimated to the heat.

After being here for 16 years, I agree that Florida has a ton of "family oriented" activities. What it doesn't have for most people is the neighborhood camaraderie and network of friends that folks had where they came from.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Seems to me those that want to move tend to be many of the same people without skills or a career that makes a comfortable living in Florida.
So what you're saying is if people who didn't have the necessary skills for all of the "available" work in FL received the training necessary, it would be problem solved and they wouldn't have to/want to move? What flavor is that Kool-Aid?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 968,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
After being here for 16 years, I agree that Florida has a ton of "family oriented" activities. What it doesn't have for most people is the neighborhood camaraderie and network of friends that folks had where they came from.
I think this is the crux of the problem for many people who voice this issue.

What they come here expecting is the type of neighborhood they left. What that means can vary from person to person, the place they are coming from, and individual experience in those places.

Problem - Neighbors aren't friendly
What does this mean? Did they not invite you over for a pool party? Did you try to reach out & talk to them and they yelled at you to get away from them? Do they run right past you without acknowledging you? Do they just stare at you while not acknowledging they are staring by waving or smiling, at least?

I have plenty of neighbors who do all of those things where I moved to (in upstate NY) from FL. A place where most people take it for granted that everybody would be friendly.

But guess what? Maybe they have enough friends already...after all, they already live there. Maybe they prefer their privacy and don't want you dropping by their house unscheduled every day. Maybe they just didn't see you when you waved? Maybe many other reasons that doesn't make them bad people, but just people you aren't likely to have commonality with. Good...they've saved you the time of waiting to find out you don't actually have a relationship to be had. So find people who do share your interests in life and mingle with them...there are millions of other people in Florida. And I'll add that it happens everywhere you move to...so don't kid yourself into thinking this is a FL thing. You may hear about it more because more people move to FL...so more people adjusting to a new area (some of which may be your bad neighbors!)...but don't think these things don't occur every day, in every town, and in every neighborhood across the country.

Personally, I think this is really just mistaken for "I'm used to a homogenized place where everybody is the same". Therefore, everybody already has a commonality with their neighbors to discuss how similar our lives are, how we all enjoy the same things, we all know the same people, we all drive similar vehicles, and we all work at the same place. If this was your life prior to moving to Florida....and you really need to be objective with yourself about this & whether you will want this in a new neighborhood...then Florida is probably not for you unless you look REALLY carefully for such neighborhoods.

Otherwise...you will have to adapt to new people. People who are probably different than you. They may not have the same customs, nor the same manners, nor dialect that you are accustomed to. They may find it rude when you cut them off during conversation and not really want to engage with you again. They may find your accent just as annoying as you find theirs'. They may not be impressed with you, no matter how impressive you think you are. They might not believe in the same God you do, or they may not even believe in God. They may think $15/hr is decent pay because they are used to living in a lower cost state & don't have troubles affording their lifestyle on it. They may have different definitions of some words you use where you came from...such as "complainer". They also may not be inclined to invite people who complain all the time about everything to their kids' birthday party, or other activities.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So what you're saying is if people who didn't have the necessary skills for all of the "available" work in FL received the training necessary, it would be problem solved and they wouldn't have to/want to move? What flavor is that Kool-Aid?
It's not kool-aid. It's called common sense. Certain industries are in demand and thrive here. Others, there is an overabundance of similarly "skilled" individuals chasing the same jobs, creating downward pressure on wages.

You don't move to North Dakota if you have skills as an actor or fashion designer, or want to be an investment banker. For that, you move to LA or New York. You don't move to Arizona if you're a commercial fisherman, and you don't move to Florida if you have skills as a desk clerk or manufacturing and need to make $20/hour.

In demand fields in Florida include legal, medical (big time), hospitality, engineering, financial services and planning, and agricultural services. It used to be that real estate, real estate supporting or construction jobs were abundant here as well. Now, that new Mecca is Texas. For now.

In terms of people WANTING to move, that's their prerogative. Some people move to Florida and don't do their homework. They move into gated communities inland from the ocean and wonder why they aren't living the "Florida lifestyle."

Also, economic security usually tends to ease the desire (or the feeling that one HAS to move), no matter where someone lives. It's why a lot of people stick it out in big, dirty cities in the Northeast and wait for retirement to move to warmer climates.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
To the contrary, I know of three families that moved away because they didn't like Florida. One of the families moved out because they missed the neighborhood friendliness they had up North; a second family moved due to a incident with a child predator and thought they were too many degenerates living here, and the 3rd moved because they couldn't get acclimated to the heat.
Aint anectdotal evidence fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee
If you live in a "new city" or sprawling suburb anywhere in the country, I can't imagine one having a "neighborhood camaraderie" ANYWHERE, not just in Florida.

I honestly can't relate, because I consciously chose to live in a non-gated, old neighborhood in an established city with some history.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 AM

378 posts, read 724,327 times
All the moving in and out of Florida is good money for the movers and truck rental companies. I wonder if there are any on this forum saying "it's not that hot in Florida, you'll love the warm weather"

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM

1,490 posts, read 968,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
All the moving in and out of Florida is good money for the movers and truck rental companies. I wonder if there are any on this forum saying "it's not that hot in Florida, you'll love the warm weather"
Yes, they actually have a pact with the northern movers to encourage people down, then the northern movers come on here & post how the heat is so terrible that they had to leave. Win/win for all movers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or