Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
That's too bad. Loving the neighborhood we moved into. Haven't been there for a month yet and already have become good friends with the neighbors directly across the street in the front of our house. I frequently talk to the neighbor to the side of us and just met another neighbor a few houses down and had a nice conversation with them and found out their daughter babysits. I've also met many other neighbor and have had good conversations with them.

When I see a new neighbor outside, walking their dog, going for a stroll or in front of their house and I say hello or wave at them and they respond I walk up to them and introduce myself and my family. Conversation begins to ensue. Now when I see these people we frequently have a conversation about the area, what's going on in the neighborhood, planned events, etc.

With that said, I am sure there are many people in the neighborhood that would say there is no sense of community. They would probably change their tune if they made an effort to say hi to their neighbors and get to know them. I seriously doubt anybody ignore a neighbor and walk away from someone who was being friendly and trying to introduce themselves. The problem is, most people seem to be introverts these days.

Yes, there are a lot of transients in this state. But like us, they would probably like to meet some people and develops relationships with them.... they just don't know how to go about it.
Well IMO I couldn't classify anyone "good friends" that I have only known a month or two, real friendships take time to cultivate. It easy to be chummy with people but that doesn't mean they will be there for you if you have an emergency or are in some type of trouble.

I have lived in 5 states and I definitely notice a difference down here. Like I said earlier it isn't the natives, it is the transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Seriously, if you want an "old neighborhood" type feel, you should seriously consider moving to an old neighborhood... especially one designated to be historic. Even in your own area, I am willing to bet you will find more pedestrians, people more involved in their communities, etc. in historic areas around downtown Orlando or Winter Park.

As mentioned above, I don't relate to claims that "neighbors aren't friendly" posts, because I live somewhere where I am probably the least friendly! My neighborhood hosts monthly socials and get togethers, holiday home tours, garden tours, neighborhood mass garage sales, etc. etc. Again, however, I live in a historic neighborhood (developed in the 20s - 40s), and I think those kinds of places attract people who WANT to be involved in the community, fix up old homes, improve their city, etc.

If I wanted to be a complete recluse I'd buy in a gated subdivision where a 3 car garage is the most prominent feature on the home, so I would never even have to use my front door (just drive in and out of my home!)
Spot on in my opinion ^^^. Because many in Florida are drawn to gated cookie-cutter new home communities perhaps it speaks to a majority of those who are relocating here. I routinely hear from many of their experiences in those neighborhoods where they have lived for years and might only know one neighbor because people are never outside and come/go through their garages.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Philadelphia and Jacksonville,Florida(my hometown) top big cities to live in, I know this is a screwy survey.
They aren't on the list, smaller area's near there, yes. That's the point of this latest list based upon what the readers of Money are looking for, a sense of community. Big cities don't have it, only some smaller towns do. Sense of community is different that having a friendly neighbor or two that you get along with. That can happen in a war zone.

Excellent article of why Florida cities/towns may lack a sense of community
Turning Florida into a throwaway state | Ocala.com

Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
They aren't on the list, smaller area's near there, yes. That's the point of this latest list based upon what the readers of Money are looking for, a sense of community. Big cities don't have it, only some smaller towns do. Sense of community is different that having a friendly neighbor or two that you get along with. That can happen in a war zone.
That's absolutely false.

Big cities in this country tend to have distinct neighborhoods, where the people (by necessity) are often forced to interact intimately with one another.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That's absolutely false.

Big cities in this country tend to have distinct neighborhoods, where the people (by necessity) are often forced to interact intimately with one another.
So you are saying forced interaction equals a sense of community? That should make a crime victims feel better.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM

This just in, Florida has 2 towns in the Money Mags best places to retire.
25 Best Places to Retire - Cape Coral, Fla. (2) - CNNMoney

Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Excellent article of why Florida cities/towns may lack a sense of community
Turning Florida into a throwaway state | Ocala.com
That article could have been written by someone living in Colorado, Alaska or other state.The truth is that not every transplant is so heedless.
Quote:
So you are saying forced interaction equals a sense of community? That should make a crime victims feel better.
Alf, it is staggering to me that you assume that a big city could never have a sense of community and/or group/think.
Of course the smalltown-grassroots type of community is important and meaningful, and I like block parties and 4th of July parades as much as the next person, but significant community organizing occurs in large and small municipalities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I take serious exception with people who think that they know what is "best", based upon an arbitrary list of variables.

What is "best" for me might not be best for you. Clearly, since I love the ocean and, given the financial resources, would not dream of living anywhere that there was not an ocean; coupled with the fact that I detest mountains in general and Colorado in particular, I would definitely disagree with their #1 choice.

Also I would expect that a better title for this article would be... The Best Places to Live (if you are not a minority). If you know what I mean.
I bolded a very good point. I can't speak for all of those towns, but the ones I know are not exactly multi-culti.
I can't believe that northern Colorado is making national news, let alone being called a 'best place to live.'
Colorado is "in" right now, having its day in the sun that Gov Richard Lamm tried to ward off 30 years ago. (http://www.deseretnews.com/oly/view/0,3949,40000046,00.html - broken link)
Denver became the only city ever to win the Games--and then dump them.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
That article could have been written by someone living in Colorado, Alaska or other state.The truth is that not every transplant is so heedless.

Alf, it is staggering to me that you assume that a big city could never have a sense of community and/or group/think.
Of course the smalltown-grassroots type of community is important and meaningful, and I like block parties and 4th of July parades as much as the next person, but significant community organizing occurs in large and small municipalities.

I bolded a very good point. I can't speak for all of those towns, but the ones I know are not exactly multi-culti.
I can't believe that northern Colorado is making national news, let alone being called a 'best place to live.'
Colorado is "in" right now, having its day in the sun that Gov Richard Lamm tried to ward off 30 years ago. (http://www.deseretnews.com/oly/view/0,3949,40000046,00.html - broken link)
Denver became the only city ever to win the Games--and then dump them.
You can offer opinions all you want. If you look at the polls, lists, the census (facts) Florida is now losing population and it's attraction, especially to younger people and those that still work. Having on 2 spots inclluding 97th out of 100 on the best places to live list is poor. Having 2 towns on the Money "retirement" places out of 25 shows there still is some attraction for Fred and Ethyl types to drive their Oldsmobile to FL to look for a place. Of course driving at 45mph with their turn signal on the whole way on 95 it'll take them about a week to get there from NJ.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

[/i]
There can be a great sense of community in a city and there can be no sense of community within a planned, gated subdivision. It truly depends on the people that live within the community, whether it is inner-city, subdivision, rural outpost or small town. I've lived in them all and it truly depends on the individuals within at a certain given time. In one era a neighborhood can have constant get-togethers, block parties and then people get older, move on, and there is no sense of community at all. Same neighborhood but different people and circumstances.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
You can offer opinions all you want. If you look at the polls, lists, the census (facts) Florida is now losing population and it's attraction, especially to younger people and those that still work.
About time. California and New york have been losing population via internal migration for years. The only reason they didn't have a worse showing in the census is because of all of the immigrants coming into those states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny.../13census.html

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.81203...ties-1.2607878

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/busin...alifornia.html

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...agoingeast.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/te.../19valley.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida