Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There can be a great sense of community in a city and there can be no sense of community within a planned, gated subdivision. It truly depends on the people that live within the community, whether it is inner-city, subdivision, rural outpost or small town. I've lived in them all and it truly depends on the individuals within at a certain given time. In one era a neighborhood can have constant get-togethers, block parties and then people get older, move on, and there is no sense of community at all. Same neighborhood but different people and circumstances.
I absolutely agree.
No matter what the setting, a sense of community does indeed require commitment, and if the "glue" to a neighborhood begins to disperse, the desire to hold together may not be so strong.
But those people that move on may well be the "glue" in a new community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
You can offer opinions all you want. If you look at the polls, lists, the census (facts) Florida is now losing population and it's attraction, especially to younger people and those that still work. Having on 2 spots inclluding 97th out of 100 on the best places to live list is poor. Having 2 towns on the Money "retirement" places out of 25 shows there still is some attraction for Fred and Ethyl types to drive their Oldsmobile to FL to look for a place. Of course driving at 45mph with their turn signal on the whole way on 95 it'll take them about a week to get there from NJ.
I'm well aware of the Florida census facts, it's just that they do not necessarily have anything to do with "Best Places to Live."
There has indeed been an exodus from Florida due to the much-need housing market correction (after soaring growth during 2000-2010).
Now Florida is losing population growth.
I've met many south Floridians who wended their way up here to the northern part of the state.
Maybe Fred and Ethyl, if they can sell their place in Jersey, can manage a move to this neck of the woods--the drive won't take an entire week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 02:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I absolutely agree.
No matter what the setting, a sense of community does indeed require commitment, and if the "glue" to a neighborhood begins to disperse, the desire to hold together may not be so strong.
But those people that move on may well be the "glue" in a new community.

Agreed.

I'm well aware of the Florida census facts, it's just that they do not necessarily have anything to do with "Best Places to Live."
There has indeed been an exodus from Florida due to the much-need housing market correction (after soaring growth during 2000-2010).
Now Florida is losing population growth.
I've met many south Floridians who wended their way up here to the northern part of the state.
Maybe Fred and Ethyl, if they can sell their place in Jersey, can manage a move to this neck of the woods--the drive won't take an entire week.
True! And you are correct in saying there is a slowing of population growth.

All except two of Florida's 67 counties gained population during the past decade.

You know, this stuff has been discussed to death for years on here, as you and I know.

Why did the population growth go up? Because there was an unprecedented housing boom.

Do I think people moved away? Yes, I do, even though it was argued by many that this wasn't happening. It did.

But people are still moving here. It has just slowed and is probably a very good thing. The Southwest Florida of 2005 was a very ugly thing. Now when I come back and visit I see a Florida before the boom and it is much nicer.

But people are still moving here.

Alfbroker says:
Quote:
If you look at the polls, lists, the census (facts) Florida is now losing population
Wrong.

Florida had annual population increases that averaged between 280,000 and 320,000 from 1970 through last year.

The study projects an annual growth rate of 252,000 during the current decade and 255,000 between 2020 and 2030, but it's expected to decline to 220,000 during the following 10 years.

So, if you're around in 2031, prepare for a decline. That should be right around the time I drop dead. I'm at the very tail-end of the baby boomers so that might be about right. I'll be 69, going on 70.

As far as these lists go, they have come to the point where I can find fabulous lists for almost anywhere except Detroit, Flint and Memphis. Even then, I might be able to find them on a "good" list. Maybe not, though.

In the 80s, these lists surely influenced people with the advent of "Best Place to Live" and everyone jumped on the list bandwagon. But it's become ridiculous and the internet has further watered them down. Take a look at any of them and you will find comments by locals ridiculing them and proving them wrong. In 2005, Cape Coral/Fort Myers was on several lists including best place to get a job. I knew the economy and the housing industry was about to implode. I laughed at the list and moved away.

These lists just don't have the influence that they use to. Like anything else, there were far too many and they changed too much from year to year. Most people treat them as seriously as they do a quiz in Cosmo.

That's why this forum has become so popular. If you can cut through the chaff there are real people with real experiences that are willing to help.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Just saw that Florida is not among the poorest states either.

Florida did not show up in the top 10 of the poorest states in America.

The read some people post here that Florida is the poorest state in America is of course wrong.

Personally what would be a better place?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Just saw that Florida is not among the poorest states either.

Florida did not show up in the top 10 of the poorest states in America.

The read some people post here that Florida is the poorest state in America is of course wrong.

Personally what would be a better place?
New Hampshire

Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
New Hampshire

We spent most of the afternoon and the evening on the lanai, sipping iced tea, watching the kids swim and the sounds of the waterfall was awesome.

Nice breeze, did some BBQing and enjoyed it.

Something we could have never done in Ohio at this time of year.

Glad to see you are settled in an enjoying yourself Ken.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:08 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
We spent most of the afternoon and the evening on the lanai, sipping iced tea, watching the kids swim and the sounds of the waterfall was awesome.

Attended a small pig roast, went water skiing, and rode the motorcycle back home down thru the mountains. Something i could never do in Florida any time of year. Life is good. I know what you mean about the waterfalls. We've
got some beauty's here. How tall is your's?

Last edited by Ken E; 09-18-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Attended a small pig roast, went water skiing, and rode the motorcycle back home down thru the mountains. Something i could never do in Florida any time of year. Life is good. I know what you mean about the waterfalls. We've
got some beauty's here. How tall is your's?

In this case the size does not matter.

Yours will be frozen and not flowing very well soon and you can come down and enjoy ours.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Do I think people moved away? Yes, I do, even though it was argued by many that this wasn't happening. It did.
Yes.

Quote:
But people are still moving here. It has just slowed and is probably a very good thing.
As far as these lists go, they have come to the point where I can find fabulous lists for almost anywhere....

These lists just don't have the influence that they use to.....
Yes.
People with an agenda can cherry-pick "facts" until the cows come home, but anyone who is considering relocation needs to do diligent research, make an up-close-and-personal visit, and read between the lines of some of the more flamey posts.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:

People don't sip iced tea on the lanai in September in Ohio ?
People don't BBQ outside in September in Ohio ?
Kids don't swim in heated pools in Ohio in September ?
No nice breezes in Ohio in September ?

A good example of why C-D members bash your posts ...

Maybe if you would have said January, we'd get it ...

Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
the florida bubble burst bigtime and generally speaking it is no longer an attractive place for young-ish professional people to move, not that it ever really was. If you are retired or have miscellaneous wealth then its a different story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida