U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,254,365 times

Advertisements

If you cannot enjoy and make it in Florida you are going to have a hard time living or making it anywhere else.

Dont listen to the negative posters, most of them have a chip on their shoulder and blame the state, the people etc and dont look at themselves as why they dont like Fla.

Sure, some things are true, but the huge MAJORITY are not coming true at all for the last 14 posters who have totally blown all the negtives posters theory out the window.

As one poster PM me and told me that they are sooooooo glad they didnt listen to the doom and gloom posters or they would have missed out on something special, they love it there and wish they would have moved sooner.

Every state, town, area has its problems, Floridas are no different then anyone elses, but they do have something NOT A SINGLE OTHER STATE has, paradise ready and loaded with everything your heart desires right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM

354 posts, read 1,134,140 times
We made the move in 2004 from New England. New England is a beautiful place but we prefered the summer life. Summer and humidity here is like up north but as mentioned you don't get a break June - Sept. UV index is 10+. I like to think of the Fla summer compared to a New England winter. You stay indoors more etc. But you can swim, boat etc. all summer. We have a nice pool. You don't need much clothes. Its a better choice for us. Florida living is prepared for hot and humdity- central A/C. I find that if I visit up north during a couple of hot days it's much more uncomfortable. No-one has central ac, some cars have no ac ---- ugh.....

Don't believe any stories about bugs. We had much more up north. We live right on the Gulf of Mexico and don't have any salt problem. Cars last longer here, just that the sun beats on the paint. Mid October to Mid-June you can't beat it.... Watch the weather channel and call home when you see them have a bad day. Beware you will get the calls during hurricaine season.

Hurricaines: We had a bad one just south of us in Port Charlotte- Punta Gorda in 2004 (15 miles). Most of the damage was mobile homes. If you drove through town now you wouldn't even know there was a hurricaine. But they are dangerous. Most newer homes are built to latest specs and will hold up in Cat 4 storm. We live right on the coast. Coastal living anywhere has it's dangers but we are not worried and do prepare.

If you have an occupation in need down here - all the better (medical). Other than that there is not much industry down here and the housing market is in the toilet if you work in those trades. Otherwise, don't come here to make millions.....

I used to joke that Fla. is a great place if you have $$$ and like to drink.... I would add golf, swimming, boating, fishing, theme parks, eating outdoors, being outdoors. We always have friends and family visit us especially in the winter. Most homes are setup with seperate baths and bedrooms - for guests.

My New England - New Hampshire seasons joke - "Yes we have 4 seasons: Winter, getting ready for Winter, cleaning up from Winter and Summer. Summer is only 2 weeks long but it's spread out over 3 months"

The things we miss the most are family and friends..........If we won the lottery we would still have a house here (just a more expensive one) and a house on Lake Winnepesaukee in NH for the summer. You never need to plan around the weather here because it's always nice.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,413,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
If you cannot enjoy and make it in Florida you are going to have a hard time living or making it anywhere else.

Dont listen to the negative posters, most of them have a chip on their shoulder and blame the state, the people etc and dont look at themselves as why they dont like Fla.
How can you post such a comment when you don't even live here?

Also, some posters have stated their reasons for leaving have nothing to do with the state but other issues such as family, jobs & cost of living; things that have to do with THEIR CHOICES in life & how THEY want to live...not how YOU want to live. Love how it has to do with their inability to "look in a mirror" or some other self-righteous comment.

Some need to stop stuffing this place down people's throats, especially if they don't even reside here or live here half time b/c the summer heat is too much for them to tolerate. Funny b/c those people are leaving their current state of residence b/c they don't like it or need a job or think this place is paradise or have to shovel snow. Why couldn't they make it where they were? Same comments that are applied to those who have decided to leave Florida apply to those who want to move here.

People come & go from everywhere for MANY different reasons.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,392,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
A SINGLE OTHER STATE has, paradise ready and loaded with everything your heart desires right there.[/b]
With all due respect, I think you need a little reality check with some of your comments. A paradise? Beyond the beach Florida is a flat sandy state with nothing but scrub pine trees, sticker plants and palmettos. I can't imagine a less picturesque place and certainly not a paradise. Take a drive along the Blue ridge parkway and get back to me. Drive the Florida turnpike and after a few hundred miles of nothing you will find yourself saying, "What the hell are we moving here for". Most of what people come here for is just a manmade facade. They build a house, plant a few non native trees and roll out the lawn that even came from somewhere else and without careful care will just die on you anyway or be taken over by stickers, weeds and red ants. Florida can be nice but lets not get ridiculous.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,413,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Take a drive along the Blue ridge parkway and get back to me.
Now, THAT is paradise to us; especially in the fall & spring.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,876,081 times
There is a reason I live in the part of Florida with trees and hills.

What macguy said is mainly true of central and southern Florida. If you are the kind of person that gets excited and impressed by palm trees, you might like it. I find it boring and unattractive.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

What macguy said is mainly true of central and southern Florida. If you are the kind of person that gets excited and impressed by palm trees, you might like it. I find it boring and unattractive.
It is almost foreboding as you take a look around. Even the beaches on the average hot day is not the wonderful place you see in the pictures. It is hot and the sand is burning as the sun blazes off the water. Compare that to coming through a canopy of trees discovering a beautiful stream or mountain lake. I mean, Florida a paradise? Defiantly not topographically or even visually at all.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,876,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
It is almost foreboding as you take a look around. Even the beaches on the average hot day is not the wonderful place you see in the pictures. It is hot and the sand is burning as the sun blazes off the water. Compare that to coming through a canopy of trees discovering a beautiful stream or mountain lake. I mean, Florida a paradise? Defiantly not topographically or even visually at all.
I know which one I prefer. Rolling green hills, shady oaks, canopy roads, springs, lakes, crystal blue rivers, vast swaths of unspoiled forest and gorgeous, undeveloped beaches...they do exist in Florida. It's not the Blue Ridge Parkway (which is closer to my idea of paradise), but it's nice.

But like I said, for some people, a palm tree is a novelty. That novelty wore off for me about 30 years ago. Along with the pavement, the traffic, the crowds, the rude people...but not all of Florida is like that.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:

Strel, I agree! Here in Dade City where we lived for 10 years, and now in Lakeland, we are up on "the Ridge", some of the highest land in Florida is around here, and the land is very scenic with rolling hills, many lakes and we have BOTH the moss-draped oaks and palm trees! I love it. Rather have the hills, lakes, rivers and streams any day over the sandy beach and flat land devoid of trees.

Different strokes, y'all!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I know which one I prefer. Rolling green hills, shady oaks, canopy roads, springs, lakes, crystal blue rivers, vast swaths of unspoiled forest and gorgeous, undeveloped beaches...they do exist in Florida. It's not the Blue Ridge Parkway (which is closer to my idea of paradise), but it's nice.

But like I said, for some people, a palm tree is a novelty. That novelty wore off for me about 30 years ago. Along with the pavement, the traffic, the crowds, the rude people...but not all of Florida is like that.
I don't know if you mentioned it but what city do you live in? We are dealing on some land in Liberty county but I am not sure my offer is going to be accepted. My borther-in-law lives in Tallahassee for about the last 10 years. He is from New York but loves it there. They just moved into a new house this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or