U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,271,033 times

Advertisements

Oh snap. We almost started our business in Florida. Thank goodness we didn't.

Florida businesses currently pay a minimum unemployment tax rate of $72.10 per employee. Just two years ago, that tax was only $8.40 an employee.

Now it looks as though that tax rate could hit $200 in 2012 and that's making Florida businesses nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,262,783 times
It looks bleak. State sales tax revenues are coming in under projections and the state faces a large budget deficit for next year (which almost certainly means more cuts to education, etc) Big surprise - folks aren't spending so much these days because our jobs are unstable and wages are frozen/ cut for many workers in FL.

Lawmakers also reduced unemployment benefits to only 23 weeks (from 26) and our max is $275, which is one of the lowest in the US.

We still have no manufacturing here, and depend too much on tourism. Where I used to live in GA, I was surprised to see that manufacturing provided 25% of the jobs in my county, according to the Chamber of Commerce.

Sure, we have the medical industry here, but who's paying those bills? Medicare and Medicaid to a large degree, and that funding source is vulnerable to state and federal budget cuts.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 PM

That new unemployment rate is going to hit school districts hard. Multiply $200 times all of the employees in the average district.

Then factor in that if they lay off anyone, that will impact the rate going forward for years, and cause the district (taxpayers!) to pay an even higher rate due to the employer's "history of layoffs".

Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM

I really think one of the few growth industries in the coming years (nationwide) will be temporary staffing firms.

It costs too much to hire an employee outright (esp. with all of the uncertainty over taxes, UE, and the new healthcare mandates!), plus the business environment now is crazy so companies need to be as flexible as they can. Thus the need for "temps" which puts the risk and expense onto the staffing agency.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 AM

378 posts, read 722,587 times
According to a very recent Fed report, 13 states have a GDP that is shrinking (recession) and Florida is not one of them. Florida actually has some (small) job growth. Minimum wage in Florida just raised to $7.67 an hour! The new boat dealers should see an increase in business!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,271,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
According to a very recent Fed report, 13 states have a GDP that is shrinking (recession) and Florida is not one of them. Florida actually has some (small) job growth. Minimum wage in Florida just raised to $7.67 an hour! The new boat dealers should see an increase in business!
I wonder how much that matters. The Dakotas have a fairly low GDP and one of the best UI rates in the country.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 AM

128 posts, read 166,440 times
Its why I moved to Seattle look if offended anyone on the this board I don't care I lived in Florida for 40 years and its was bars and old people and rednecks , no Google , Microsoft , Apple will EVER MOVE THERE AND RICK SCOTT WONT HELP.

His crimes are well known even out here he is the Dick
Fuld of heath care , he will be one more who passes through and makes Florida worse only to line his pockets .

Why would anyone with talent stay in place that has the laws and that Florida does No one with real skill would want to stay where your under paid and over worked , Real estate what a joke please I left my home there and it had dropped 200,000 in value , foreclosures are through the roof and unless you have no kids there are
alot of gated communities with old people you TRUST ME DON'T WANT TO MOVE INTO.

If your a big time criminal you can do well there and be left alone , Rick Scott tons of health care fraud , Dick
Fuld Lehman brother ran them under walked with 500 million , David Stern caught red handed having done 70,000 robo signer foreclosures and none are in jail , yet get a DUI there or write a bad check and be ready to do time.

No big firm wants to move here if they do its only to make sure they have cheap labor and they can fire you without so much as a review , I grew up in Orlando and locals there called it dismal world or the tragic kingdom they treated employees so bad there, long hours in the heat and fired on the spot no reason , Disney is a bad rat .

The real estate market there is death warmed over over priced because of old people and when you go to sell your stuck no one wants to move there any more.

They have no real tech firms that pay well and the only professions doing well are doctors for old people and lawyers suing everyone .
In short if your enjoy bad , food pissed off old people , hot weather with huge electric bills and unfriendly people and being treated like crap at work you have found home .

Enjoy the swamp I am glad to be gone.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM

772 posts, read 1,626,114 times
with a attitude like that were glad you are gone too! What in the hell took ya so long to leave 40 years is a lot of time to spend in a place you obviously despise. Florida rocks!!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:19 AM

128 posts, read 166,440 times
I am so glad to be gone away from people just like you I cant tell you best move I ever made if my house burned down here I could care less good luck with your forclosure law mills in 1212 you will need it . your house is next

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,942,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post
Its why I moved to Seattle look if offended anyone on the this board I don't care I lived in Florida for 40 years and its was bars and old people and rednecks
typical stereotypes. nothing original (or correct).

Quote:
Real estate what a joke please I left my home there and it had dropped 200,000 in value
ah, so you were one of the morons who took out a subprime mortgage during the boom, yes? you're part of the problem, not the solution. oh and btw this happened all over the country, so if you think you're escaping to a place where the real estate crisis never hit, you're delusional.

Quote:
No big firm wants to move here if they do its only to make sure they have cheap labor and they can fire you without so much as a review
many states practice this. it's called "at-will" employment, and it also means you can quit any job for any reason at any time and walk. that's a good thing.
Quote:
The real estate market there is death warmed over over priced because of old people and when you go to sell your stuck no one wants to move there any more.
see above.

Quote:
They have no real tech firms that pay well and the only professions doing well are doctors for old people and lawyers suing everyone . In short if your enjoy bad , food pissed off old people , hot weather with huge electric bills and unfriendly people and being treated like crap at work you have found home .

Enjoy the swamp I am glad to be gone.
we won't miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or