Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 PM

174 posts, read 666,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Well, I'm sure there are people who do work for $8/hr and pay $5/hr for daycare and they're doing the best they can with the skills they have. I wish them all the luck in the world and applaude them for trying and for working for a living instead of stealing or some other option. I don't look down on them and I would not call their time - essentially their lives - a waste.

Good luck in Texas, hope you like it there better.
No my guess those people would get subsidized daycare vouchers and would afford it better.

I am not sticking MY kid in daycare to earn less that $3 an hour after taxes. That is what I mean by waste, nor would I even entertain a loser employer that would low ball someone so badly.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
"Sounds like a smart move to me"

Sounds more like 'a move to Texas' to me ! Housing in Texas has always been cheap. Know why? 'Cause it's Texas! The land just isn't as valuable as some other states.

Some states are highly desireable, some are less so. Texas is less so.
Well guess Florida isn't one of them cause prices are going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Ya know like bargain basement....or better yet Kmart blue light special.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Well guess Florida isn't one of them cause prices are going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Ya know like bargain basement....or better yet Kmart blue light special.
Actually, housing prices have dropped across the nation, so we're all in that boat.

Some cities and regions have been hit harder. In Florida, it is mainly South Florida that has been hit hard, most of the rest of Florida is doing okay. Florida will bounce back - it is highly desireable and that won't change significantly.

Texas is a different story. Texas crashes and burns so often because of the heavy oil influence on the economy there - Austin is a classic example of a Texas city that has crashed in the past. The fact remains that Texas has never been as desireable a state, from a real estate perspective, as Florida has. You'll see. That attitude will only take you so far.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, housing prices have dropped across the nation, so we're all in that boat.

Some cities and regions have been hit harder. In Florida, it is mainly South Florida that has been hit hard, most of the rest of Florida is doing okay. Florida will bounce back - it is highly desireable and that won't change significantly.

Texas is a different story. Texas crashes and burns so often because of the heavy oil influence on the economy there - Austin is a classic example of a Texas city that has crashed in the past. The fact remains that Texas has never been as desireable a state, from a real estate perspective, as Florida has. You'll see. That attitude will only take you so far.
Right now Texas is more appealing than Florida so many people moving from NY, NJ, FL and CA are moving there. People are not wanting to move or retire to Florida for many reasons mostly HOI, prop. taxes, very low wages and hurricanes.

A lot of retirees are looking at the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.

I have known a lot of people who moved to Texas over the decades and have stayed, so it cannot be that bad to live there.

Sure the housing market has gone down a bit across the country but not all are doing really bad, especially as bad as Florida. That isn't due to desirability it is economics and subprime loans.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Right now Texas is more appealing than Florida so many people moving from NY, NJ, FL and CA are moving there. People are not wanting to move or retire to Florida for many reasons mostly HOI, prop. taxes, very low wages and hurricanes.

A lot of retirees are looking at the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.

I have known a lot of people who moved to Texas over the decades and have stayed, so it cannot be that bad to live there.

Sure the housing market has gone down a bit across the country but not all are doing really bad, especially as bad as Florida. That isn't due to desirability it is economics and subprime loans.
Keep chasing that carrot honey.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Are you saying the best you could find here with your professed background is $8.00 an hour? Maybe you need a better resumé or job skills.

No, but some jobs are paying that, the lowest I was ever offered was $11 and I settled for $15, but that was my last employment and am a SAHM right now doing some consultant type work here and there. My resume is impressive considering some of the companies I worked for some of my responsibilities were as a liason and some of my accounts were Harvard University, Massport and other high profile companies. I don't want to work here. If I were still in MA, I would be making pretty decent wages.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Oh No! I fear "NAH" has re-invented himself!
Who is NAH?????? you mean herself?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Keep chasing that carrot honey.
Oh you people just cannot get over yourselves and the fact that people are leaving Florida cause they don't like it.
Now you all stop pestering me over stupid stuff, got work to do, a lot of research of imporant stuff.

For Godsake you guys don't even know how to vote

Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Oh you people just cannot get over yourselves and the fact that people are leaving Florida cause they don't like it.
Now you all stop pestering me over stupid stuff, got work to do, a lot of research of imporant stuff.

For Godsake you guys don't even know how to vote
I have read your past posts. You are a couple of fly by night apartment dwellers, you own nothing. Someone told you about Houston and you are ready to go there even though you have never even been there. Neither of you have jobs waiting and will probably stay till you fail again and go chasing the next carrot telling everybody how your husband is underpaid and you can't get a job. Lets not forget how you are abused by landlords as well. It is everybody else's fault. But, I wish you luck because I actually have been to Houston. One of the worst cities in the country in my opinion. Have a nice life and watch your back there, you think the crime is bad in Florida.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Oh No! I fear "NAH" has re-invented himself!

(And who said anything about collecting welfare "on the sly?" Is that an inside term?)
Do you seriously not know what "on the sly" means

Ok I am not going to bang my head on my new laptop (have to keep chanting this, cause you guys are driving me crazy)

These retorts are just getting so lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida