U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,580,698 times

Advertisements

We just returned from a lovely long weekend in St. Augustine. I wanted to post a couple of our experiences here for those who may be interested in this area. We have visited a number of times before and every time we go back and I love it more.

We stayed in a bayfront hotel, parked the car and walked everywhere we went in downtown. It is so compact there was no need to drive unless we went over to Anastasia Island. The food was glorious. I read somewhere that St. Augustine has more restaurants per person than any other city on the east coast and I have to believe that. I ate nothing but the freshest seafood imaginable from Friday - Monday.

If you're in the area, try a couple of local favorites you won't see in all the tourist books - but get there early or you'll be in for a long wait...O'Steen's and Schooners. WOW! Another favorite...Hooked on Harry's - seafood with a Cajun twist! And don't miss Savannah Sweets!! The Pralines were amazing!

We felt very safe, walking along the bayfront at midnight, there were couples and families strolling along. Great music as long as you want to stay up and listen...and then the beach at Anastasia!!! WOW! Completely unspoiled - old Florida beauty.

St. Augustine reminded me more of old Florida than anyplace I've been in quite awhile. I have no idea what the school are like, but I picked up a Homes and Land Magazine and the housing seemed quite reasonable.

Perhaps someone who lives in the area can give more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,257,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
We just returned from a lovely long weekend in St. Augustine. I wanted to post a couple of our experiences here for those who may be interested in this area. We have visited a number of times before and every time we go back and I love it more.

We stayed in a bayfront hotel, parked the car and walked everywhere we went in downtown. It is so compact there was no need to drive unless we went over to Anastasia Island. The food was glorious. I read somewhere that St. Augustine has more restaurants per person than any other city on the east coast and I have to believe that. I ate nothing but the freshest seafood imaginable from Friday - Monday.

If you're in the area, try a couple of local favorites you won't see in all the tourist books - but get there early or you'll be in for a long wait...O'Steen's and Schooners. WOW! Another favorite...Hooked on Harry's - seafood with a Cajun twist! And don't miss Savannah Sweets!! The Pralines were amazing!

We felt very safe, walking along the bayfront at midnight, there were couples and families strolling along. Great music as long as you want to stay up and listen...and then the beach at Anastasia!!! WOW! Completely unspoiled - old Florida beauty.

St. Augustine reminded me more of old Florida than anyplace I've been in quite awhile. I have no idea what the school are like, but I picked up a Homes and Land Magazine and the housing seemed quite reasonable.

Perhaps someone who lives in the area can give more info.
Maybe this is what we all are missing, an old town that you can walk around without fear. Enjoy the local cuisine or a cold one, seat by the bay or the castle walls, enjoy a gelato or just let the breeze enchant the night.

Saint Augustine has that “Old Florida Beauty” that we all envy. We all might need to rediscover our state and look for true enjoyment of our vacation or locality. The state does have many little towns similar to Saint Augustine that holds enchantments that a Disney cannot copy.

Pianogal, superb description of your weekend get-away….

Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,172 times
Default St Augustine Restaurant, tours and places to stay

Check out [url="http://www.marketplacepub.com"[/URL] before you go to St Augustine next time. They have everything you need,. Restaurants, hotels, tour info even coupons from their advertisers. It is awesome

Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM

549 posts, read 1,543,563 times
My family and I visited St Augustine for the first time this past February and were equaly smitten! Unfortunately we only spent half a day there...but we are planning a trip there for our next Florida visit. We only scratched the surface. It has all the charm of Key West without the tackiness. It reminded me more of Block Island or Martha's Vineyard than Time Square circa 1986.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 PM

164 posts, read 591,311 times
We were up ther ourself's a few weekends ago and also enjoyed it .If fact soooooooooooo much we look at some places LIKE sAINT jOHN'S fOEST it was so nice but they did have fees a couple of them ..We looked in Kensington I think it was call and World Gold VIllage all were nice imho But I need a ymca near me and didn't see any around . But I will go back and look again .As we been looking in a few states for sometime now.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,172 times
Smile YMCA St Augustine

Minimeme,

There is a YMCA just off of A1A Beach Blvd in St Augustine and a few in Jacksonville. Just thought you would like to know. I found the info at [url="http://www.marketplacepub.com[/URL]

Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 AM

98 posts, read 425,288 times
I've spent a fair bit of time in St Augustine, in fact I was there in the beginning of May for a sailing class. It is absolutely one of my favorite places.

The coolest place to stay, ESPECIALLY if you are bringing kids, is the Pirate Haus Inn and Hostel. Don't let the hostel part scare you off: it's a wonderful place with several private rooms, all decorated in a nautical or tropical theme with murals by a local artist. All the rooms have bunk beds for the kids, there is a common living room with lots of toys, and all the special pirate pancakes you can eat for breakfast. The owner, Cap'n Conrad, is a truly nice guy who will generally greet you in pirate garb. The inn is located on Treasury Street, just two blocks off St George's Street, the main tourist area, and room rates are under $100/night.

Two blocks away is the A1A Ale Works. Great food, a beautiful view, and fresh made beer for $3

I can't wait to go back.

Paul

Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,226,419 times
Ripley's Believe it Or Not museum is in the area for those who might enjoy.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 AM

164 posts, read 591,311 times
Thanks Good Times

Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,839,390 times
We just got back from 4 days up there!!! We've been to St. Augustine many times & are even considering moving there (when we hit the lotto...)

Out of all the places in the world I've seen, it's the one place that keeps "calling" me...

Here's pix for y'all of our stay there at The St. Francis Inn...

Picasa Web Albums - George - St. Augustine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida