Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

I'm considering joining Legacy Boat Club in Destin. They seem to have a great selection and availability of boats; the basic membership seems reasonable ($7K initial plus $365 per month, +gas & tip); I have no real interest in the maintenance, repair, upkeep, preparation and clean-up of a boat, but, I would like to have one available whenever I want to go fishing, skiing, cruising, diving or whatever.

Any experience, suggestions or advice you might care to offer would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM

207 posts, read 752,419 times
Why not try their Mid Bay rentals before taking the plunge on a membership and see if its worth the initial investment.. I've heard good and bad regarding them....

Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwc07 View Post
Why not try their Mid Bay rentals before taking the plunge on a membership and see if its worth the initial investment.. I've heard good and bad regarding them....
Thanks, I looked into the 'Legendary' Mid Bay rentals, which is not really affiliated with Legacy Boat Club, yet, nevertheless, is a viable alternative. Actually, I've been weighing-out:

a). Boat Club - large selection of boats, no maintenance/upkeep, good availability -VS- Relatively high cost, member liability for $3500 deductible, -- (Looking at both Legacy and Freedom Boat Clubs)

b). Boat Rental - Avoid initial fee boat club commitment, pretty good boat selection, limited liability =VS- Higher individual usage cost ($400 per day range + gas); longer term reservations

c). Buy Own Boat - Greater individual control/flexibility, potential resale value, limited liability -VS- High initial outlay, ongoing maintenance/ upkeep, depreciation, high dockage cost, single boat type/size/function

d). Drift and Offshore Fishing Boats for Hire - Single use/cost w/no personal liability, maintenance, upkeep, added gas costs; Captain w/area skills -VS- Highest individual day cost, dependent on someone else's schedule/control, limited availability of manageable-cost single-passenger slots at reasonable fee

Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 AM

854 posts, read 1,703,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm considering joining Legacy Boat Club in Destin. They seem to have a great selection and availability of boats; the basic membership seems reasonable ($7K initial plus $365 per month, +gas & tip); I have no real interest in the maintenance, repair, upkeep, preparation and clean-up of a boat, but, I would like to have one available whenever I want to go fishing, skiing, cruising, diving or whatever.

Any experience, suggestions or advice you might care to offer would be appreciated.
WOW, that's expensive.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Legacy Boat Club in Destin seems expensive compared to many other boat clubs. The initial fee and monthly fee is pretty expensive. Perhaps they have much nicer boats than the clubs I have looked at?

I have looked at several as I think when we're ready to make the commitment we will join a boat club in lieu of buying a boat. We're basing this decision of not wanting to perform maintenance and repairs (B.O.A.T. = Bet On Another Thousand), not having to store or tow the boat, having the convenience of being in a wet slip and having a variety of different boats to use for different occasions (cruising, going to an island, fishing, etc.).

We owned a boat in Alaska and knew many other who owned boats as well. When they break they can be expensive and frustrating to repair. Maintenance wasn't bad, but having to flush the engine, clean the boat out, etc. after every use is another chore. These are things you do not have to do when in a boat club.

Trying to remember the names of clubs I have looked at. Some also have location all over the nation allowing you to go on a boating trip in waters you haven't visited before (Boston, Miami, New Orleans, etc.).

Club Seaworthy is one I have looked at along with Freedom Boat Club. Wish I could remember the others.

I believe many of them were $4K initial and $250/month.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 AM

207 posts, read 752,419 times
JG--
Are you looking to boat for fun or for fishing? We just did a charter on American Spirit in Destin and had a great time. Also have rented at San Destin beach resort and their boats are spotless... If you are govn/military you can rent on base but their boats arent in the best condition...

Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM

I guess I'll primarily fish ... but, the initial fee of $7K, plus the ongoing monthly fee ($365) plus gas and $15/tip-per-trip fee makes it an expensive proposition, particularly if I don't really find myself to be as much of a boater as I imagine.--- At present, I'm thinking that I'll do some boat rentals and drift-boat fishing ... until I make-up my mind about 'biting the cost bullet'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida