Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 97,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all, again (I posted on some Melbourne thread)
My question is If you could live anywhere in Florida, where would that be?
Miami and Orlando are out (too big, touristy)
My hubby is a helicopter pilot and we want to move to the tropics and dink around in the Caribbean but still live in the U.S. (for now).
Where would you live in Florida and Why?
(we are relocating from Montana - BRRRRRRRR)
Thanks for any response.
Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,349,183 times
I have lived a few places in Florida,a nd have family all over, but keep coming back to TAMPA. Read my first post "Why Tampa" to understand, but remeber, this is MY opinion of why.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...tml#post214848

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...tml#post214850

Old 08-18-2007, 03:32 PM

713 posts, read 2,660,074 times
I know where I wouldn't live and that's Miami or Orlando.

If you don't mind heavier traffic, humidity and stronger hurricane activity: Boca Raton, Parkland, Jupiter Island, Wellington, Hutchinson Island. Pricey real estate but heaven on earth will cost us.

If you want less traffic, room to roam, less humidity and hurricane activity: Any inland area in Central Florida.

Sleepy fishing villiage, not much to do: Cedar Key.

Haven't been to Panhandle so I can't speak for it.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:24 PM

277 posts, read 369,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbelinabumpkin View Post
My hubby is a helicopter pilot and we want to move to the tropics and dink around in the Caribbean but still live in the U.S. (for now).
Thanks for any response.
Peace

Well, I live, work, play, and do a lot of things in Tampa. It is a fun city to be. My long term goal, however, in the next 5/10 years span is to move to the Key West/Big Pine Key area.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM

776 posts, read 1,664,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbelinabumpkin View Post
Thanks for any response.
Peace
Sarasota, St Augustine and Vero Beach. The coast north of St Pete/Clearwater also worth looking at or Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter/Stuart on the SE coast.. Daytona area if you are into Nascar/biker scene would be worth looking at too.. You do have many areas on both the SW coast and SE coast to chose from.. Further north you get a little more season change so it won't be the same weather from Oct-April like in the Carribean or Fla Keys.. You'll find some place to fall in love with down here i'm sure. I love western Montana myself as a tourist.. What a change from much of Florida..

Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,185,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
I know where I wouldn't live and that's Miami or Orlando.

If you don't mind heavier traffic, humidity and stronger hurricane activity: Boca Raton, Parkland, Jupiter Island, Wellington, Hutchinson Island. Pricey real estate but heaven on earth will cost us.

If you want less traffic, room to roam, less humidity and hurricane activity: Any inland area in Central Florida.

Sleepy fishing villiage, not much to do: Cedar Key.

Haven't been to Panhandle so I can't speak for it.

i disagree. i dont know if it gets any more humid than right here in orlando. and less traffic sure as heck doesnt applt to orlando either. something to keep in mind. other than miami, orlando has to have the worst drivers, and rudest ppl i have ever experienced.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,217 times
Anywhere close to the Gulf Side beaches...for starters.

If you could put all the great things central Fla has in the panhandle that would be the ultimate for us.

From Tarpon to Ft Myers, its all good pickens if you look hard enough.

Places I wouldn't live, Miami or Daytona.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM

354 posts, read 1,268,375 times
We live in Venice, moved here 2004. Just south of Sarasota. many beaches and and a very sleepy safe older community. I like from Gulf Coast Sarasota south to Cape Coral. Ft. Myers I might skip but is a younger place. Naples is expensive. Basic rule of thumb I have found is the locals live inland. My aunt lives in Sebastian south of Melbourne on East coast and looks very nice.

Rent somewhere and then travel. There is so much more we need to see.

The duplex rule is correct - usually bad neighborhoods

Rt 4 is the dividing line on weather especially in winter. North is slightly colder and you will get 30 deg nights.
South is warmer. Typical Venice summer day is 90-92. I worked in Ft. Myers and it as always 1-2 deg. warmer. (92-93) Lehigh Acres east of FM was another 1-2 deg hotter (95)

Last edited by paradiddle; 08-19-2007 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: add more stuff

Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 AM

66 posts, read 281,236 times
We plan on Englewood for our retirement. Venice is nice, but costs a bit more. Why are duplexes a negative? Are renters the ones that tend to cause the crime?

Anne

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM

17,994 posts, read 11,685,610 times
I have been thinking about PSL or WPB after I get out of here from the panhandle. I wonder if I can make it on my own as a single woman?
Scary thought!
I like reading the Tradition/PSL thread and sounds like my next move but
not sure yet. I have family in PSL near the OJ Tropicana, and in Wellington-
expensive gated community. If this don't work out for me, then back to
NY/LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida