U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,352 times

Advertisements

As a recent grad of UF, I am a little biased, but I guarantee its overall one of the best schools anyone could go to. I now go to grad school at Penn State, so I have a little basis for comparison. The students here think they have a good time but I beg to differ. UF offers the best in academics (better than many private universities), athletics, and overall college experience, and its the best valued education because the quality is right up there with the other best public schools in the country but the tuition at UF is the lowest in the country, even for out of state, and difference is considerable. You can't beat the weather in Gainesville, and the town (and Florida in general) is a GREAT place to live and a great place to go to undergrad. A degree from UF will open plenty of doors after you graduate. However, it is getting extremely hard to get into. In my 4 years there, I watched the standards for admission increase every year, and every incoming class was more and more competitive.

If you're a sophomore and you've scored a 1200/1600 on the SAT, you might be ok, but you really have to work hard. I'm telling you, UF is worth as much works as it takes to get in. Some other people offered great suggestions, keep up your GPA, get involved in as many extracurriculars as you can, etc. I highly recommend taking an SAT prep course to improve your score (Kaplan or Princeton Review, or there might be someone who offers a similar course locally), and for the verbal section its a HUGE help to simply memorize vocab words. There are tons of books available with practice questions that will tell you which vocab words are most likely to appear on the exam. Take lots of practice exams. I would shoot for at least a 1350/1600. Don't take the real SAT more than 3 times. I would also say that taking several AP courses, or enrolling in IB (if your school has it), or dual enrollment is pretty much a requirement for getting into UF. I took 7 AP classes in high school, and I was a shoe-in at UF, but that was 6 years ago.

I know I've written a lot, here's a recap: shoot for at least 1350/1600 SAT score (its not impossible to improve, just takes a lot of preparation), enroll in all honors and AP courses and excel in them (at least a 4.3 weighted GPA), get involved in extracurriculars, and you should volunteer. That's the best you can do, but remember, you're competing with a LOT of other excellent students, anything that makes you look better on paper is what they're looking for. Think of a creative topic for your application essay.

Of course, don't burn yourself out before you get to college, there will be plenty of work to do once you get there (but plenty of fun too!)

In the end, whereever you end up going to school will be the right place for you. Its rare that students are unhappy with their choice, everyone has fun in college!

Good Luck! And GO GATORS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM

6,915 posts, read 14,038,607 times
Well I took another pre PSAT and ended up with 1730 with all three combined. 530 Math, 570 CR, and 630 Writing. I'm taking two honors courses this year and have a GPA of 4.1677 currently, but hopefully it will go up to 4.3333 if I can just get that retarded Algebra 2 grade up.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 PM

1,335 posts, read 4,365,151 times
if your grades are that good i wouldnt bother going to college in florida...UF is a decent school but you will most likely have to move up north or out west for a good job when u graduate and UF isnt as respected in those areas....most kids come to florida colleges simply to party in the hot weather

Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 14,038,607 times
Yeah. This thread is pretty old. I didn't think I would be doing as well as I am this year, so I'm not really considering FL anymore. I'm gonna try UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, UC Davis, San Diego State, U of Oregon definitely. My maybes are AZ State, U of AZ, SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Purchase, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, and Michigan State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or