Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 AM

27,199 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Florida can be bad because we're a major tourist state and many don't know where they're going or know the state laws such as it's okay to make a right on red (unless otherwise stated), and let's not forget the transplants from umpteen other states. Additionally all Florida roads aren't flooded with elderly drivers, the percentage of Floridians over the age of 65 is 18%. Nationally that number is 14%....so perhaps dropping that generalization will make some feel a bit less unintelligent. Lastly, insurance rates tend high not due to particularly bad drivers/accidents, rather a high percentage of uninsured motorists (due mostly to a high immigrant population....not to mention our disproportionately high insurance rates in general since we've seemingly been footed with a giant portion of the bill for major insurance company expenditures..i.e. Super Storm Sandy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM

217 posts, read 325,927 times
Born and raised in Florida. In my 25 years on this planet I've driven through basically the entire state, various portions of the U.S., and Europe.

It is not an over-exaggeration. Florida drivers are the worst in the U.S.
The further south you go in the state the worse the driving is (So Miami is pretty awful).

I will say that tourists contribute a lot to the problem, but many locals don't know unwritten rules of the road.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Says the person from California...lol.
Compared to FL drivers, CA drivers are surprisingly polite and courteous, even considering how much more traffic there is in CA.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Def need a screen for the periodic screen for the elderly drivers in this state

Police: Woman, 79, kills 3 while backing out of church parking space - CNN.com

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
My friend visits Miami annually and used to live there so I've heard plenty of stories of how terrible driving around there is.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:19 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Alabama drivers are gawd-awful, but at the very least they're nowhere near as numerous as FL drivers.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Yes, Florida drivers as a whole are absolutely awful. It is one of the worst States to drive in/through. You can acclimate to the ridiculousness of it, but that is ultimately of little consequence. Drivers licenses are handed out like candy here, and often to folks who have no business being on the road in an automobile -- let alone even a bicycle. A lot of the 'natives' fallaciously attempt to attribute the lion's share of the blame to tourism and/or the elderly. For sake of perspective, I put between 700 and 1,000 miles on just my work vehicle each week.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Orlando is second to South Florida. I've driven in Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, and Florida. Florida is the absolute worst, no question. I've seen people make right turns out of the left-only lane, merge without looking or signalling, drive in multiple lanes, drive with a headlight or tail light missing, merge into the tightest spots possible at the highest speed, drive through red lights several seconds after they've change, block intersections...and it seems the police and state troopers do almost nothing about. I rarely see people pulled over for traffic violations like I do in other states I've been to. Any time I see a cop's lights flashing, there's either construction going on or an accident occurred.

I can tell you live in Orlando. Described it perfectly. Unfortuantely. It's the worst I've driven in too. Although I've only lived in FL and NC (NC is a BREEEEZE to drive in compared to FL lol). Even places like Charlotte and Atlanta which are much bigger than Orlando, seem to be better (less idiots and sheer stupidity) than Orlando.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
This is especially true of South FL (Miami-Dade/Broward/Palm Beach); the Treasure Coast area (Stuart/St. Lucie/Indian River); the Palm Coast area; and, to a lesser extent, Greater Orlando, especially Kissimmee (*shudders*).
I agree but I would add Sarasota to that list. Sarasota seems to attract a different demographic than the rest of SW and Central Florida.

However Miami is really bad especially the hispanic areas. Broward is pretty bad too. In some areas like Kendall and Pompano beach you cannot use a turn signal and switching lanes is mission impossible.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
The 40,000 drivers who die every year on the nations highways are from all over not just Florida. However Florida is close to the top of this fact sheet.probably because of its larger population.=
http://vehicle-fatalities.findthedata.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida