Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

I have heard tons of stuff from Floridians about how bad the drivers are there. I have never been there, but I'm wondering if the people exaggerate or not? Does anyone have any personal experiences.

The only bad drivers I can think of are stupid Asians. LOL. That's an oxymoron, but you get what I mean. And then we also the Hispanics in LA that can't read our traffic signs in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
I don't get how Florida is such an old (people) state, but drivers are nutcases. They make cabbies and NYC drivers look safe.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Are Florida drivers bad? Ask the couple who plowed into my buddies' truck. The highways up here are positively clogged with Floridians coming back north for the summer. Generally theyre decent drivers, but you get the usual white-haired folks who clog the fast lanes and refuse to get their boat Caddies out of the way no matter how much you flash/honk at them.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,436 times
If you must flash/honk, when we are doing 10 mph OVER, then YOU are the IDIOT!
BUT, "I drove in the left lane of I-75, from Florida to Ohio, with my left turn blinker on, the whole way..." will end, as,
YOU will be HAPPY to KNOW,

" (Florida ) " Drivers going 10 mph slower than the speed limit (in the left lane, Ed.) who don’t get out of the way of approaching vehicles can be ticketed $60 and hit with a 3-point moving violation, according to one small part of a transportation bill that goes into effect Monday, July 1, 2013.

The overall bill makes changes to the way the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles administers many programs and was signed into law June 13, 2013, by the governor.
[LEFT]
Read more at Jacksonville.com: [url=http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013-06-27/story/left-lane-slowpokes-face-fines-under-new-florida-law#ixzz2osrP2G36]Left-lane slowpokes face fines under new Florida law | members.jacksonville.com[/url]
[/LEFT]
"

Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Florida is pretty bad and you probably have the best chance there to be driving along and have some octogenarian make a left turn right in front of you as they are trying to recall if they're on the way to, or coming home from, the doctor.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Hell yeah they are that bad. Worse than any other place that I have been.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 PM

409 posts, read 484,709 times
I've only lived in Florida for six months, but so far it's much better than it's reputation. That being said, there was one very old woman going the wrong way very slowly down a large street. Everyone stopped and were very patient with her. There are some people from Canada and the northeastern states (per their license plates) who drive fast and more aggressively. But, most people are good drivers. It's not worse than California.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
I can attest yes specifically Miami drivers are bad. I mean there are a lot of good drivers but there are many many bad drivers. They'll cut you off purposely and give you the finger if you react to it. I've never seen so many careless drivers in one area.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorVeteran View Post
If you must flash/honk, when we are doing 10 mph OVER, then YOU are the IDIOT!
BUT, "I drove in the left lane of I-75, from Florida to Ohio, with my left turn blinker on, the whole way..." will end, as,
YOU will be HAPPY to KNOW,

" (Florida ) " Drivers going 10 mph slower than the speed limit (in the left lane, Ed.) who don’t get out of the way of approaching vehicles can be ticketed $60 and hit with a 3-point moving violation, according to one small part of a transportation bill that goes into effect Monday, July 1, 2013.

The overall bill makes changes to the way the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles administers many programs and was signed into law June 13, 2013, by the governor.
[LEFT]
Read more at Jacksonville.com: Left-lane slowpokes face fines under new Florida law | members.jacksonville.com
[/LEFT]
"
I couldn't understand some of the gibberish you posted. I did grasp your first sentence and I can tell you, NO, the person flashing their brights or honking was NOT the idiot. It doesn't matter how fast you're going in the left lane. If someone is behind you and they want to pass you, get your ***** over! Simple as that. No need to make the situation worse. The driver is obviously in a rush for reasons you have no idea about, let them by!

I can't stand drivers like you that think THEY are there to enforce the rules. NO! Just NO! Let the police handle it!

As for Florida drivers, yes, they're pretty bad. There are bad drivers everywhere though. I lose my patience with ignorant drivers here in Georgia that either drive too aggressively or are too slow. Yes, there are those infamous drivers who clog the left lane which, in turn, cause traffic jams and more frustration to the drivers around them.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Drivers are dangerously impatient everywhere. I think Vermont was the only place Ive ever lived where most of the drivers from Vermont were not trying to relive the chariot scene in Ben Hur. Florida has a few reasons why they are a little worse.
The infrastructure, sno-birds, hi-percentage of crazies, just the sheer number of people make driving a very unpleasant activity. Before I left, they were contemplating making rolling a red light right, totally legal. Insurance Co. bonanza!
I think AAA members voted Miami the most dangerous city to drive in a for a few years in a row.
On the bright side, you could be trying to walk through all of that insanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida