U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Sorry Common. Sad that the state you grew up in has turned into a location for many misfits, mean and rude people and we all know it draws the worst of the worst.

There are still many helpful friendly neighbors etc around as in my neighborhood I am leaving when we move over to Sarasota. My area does not have those type of people in it.

Then we all have to go outside of that safety zone and have to deal with these people.

Why Greenville?

What saddens me is the fact that we are lucky enough to live in a beautiful place with great weather, lots of things to do, water all around us etc and have to share it with people who do not appreciate it, take care of it and want to ruin it.

For me, I like the old Florida like you do. As a kid I came here for many vacations and like it the old Florida way. I like progress but too much has ruined the old Florida I grew up seeing.
I like it best because its got 4 seasons but mild. A ton of people up there are who I was used to being around growing up in Old Fla days. It's pretty, the downtown area is one of the best. My company has a division there. People are much more friendly. It's more of my lifestyle and culture (what I accustomed to and grew up around in my old FL days).

I could say other things but I will leave it at that. I have family close by so its hard, plus my job. But if an opportunity arises in Greenville (with my company), it'd be hard not to give it some thought. But its hard to leave FL (AGAIN) because I have a lot of family here and I enjoy that.

But if family was out of the equation, and it was just a "Greenville vs Orlando" decision, it'd be Greeenville all day long. Now, I dont live IN Orlando, I live in a great, small town (old FL like) outside of Oviedo. Which I love. But when you live in a small area you can only stay away from all the headache for so long. I cant stay in my little "spot" 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Another alternative would be Northeastern FL. I like it a lot up there in either St Johns Co or further north in Fernandina/Amelia Island. But we dont have an office up there right now. But if we got one.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,396,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I like it best because its got 4 seasons but mild. A ton of people up there are who I was used to being around growing up in Old Fla days. It's pretty, the downtown area is one of the best. My company has a division there. People are much more friendly. It's more of my lifestyle and culture (what I accustomed to and grew up around in my old FL days).

I could say other things but I will leave it at that. I have family close by so its hard, plus my job. But if an opportunity arises in Greenville (with my company), it'd be hard not to give it some thought. But its hard to leave FL (AGAIN) because I have a lot of family here and I enjoy that.

But if family was out of the equation, and it was just a "Greenville vs Orlando" decision, it'd be Greeenville all day long. Now, I dont live IN Orlando, I live in a great, small town (old FL like) outside of Oviedo. Which I love. But when you live in a small area you can only stay away from all the headache for so long. I cant stay in my little "spot" 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Another alternative would be Northeastern FL. I like it a lot up there in either St Johns Co or further north in Fernandina/Amelia Island. But we dont have an office up there right now. But if we got one.......

Funny two members who used to post here a lot moved to Greenville recently. And another one who still post here also moved to Greenville SC.

That is why I asked. All of a sudden we have lost 3 members on this forum to Greenville SC.

Location is neat. Not too far from the mountains which we both love.

I like NE Florida as well. Someone I know from Ohio just bought a house near Amelia Island. They looked into Savannah but decided on the Amelia Is area.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:31 PM

You can see the mtns from Greenville. It's not far. ALso, pay in Greenville is about the same as Orlando, but cost of living in Greenville is far less. Schools and crime can be an issue in Greenville, depending on where you are, but it's not like that isn't an issue everywhere.

I like Amelia Island a lot. It'd be cool if our company expanded to that area.

I know Beckycat is up there --- there's 2 more ppl that moved to Greenville too?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:18 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,110,720 times
On a side note: heard the other day that divorce rates will increase dramatically now that the economy is improving. Couples with little resources, jobs, etc couldn't handle getting divorced a few years ago but now, evidently all is improving, and they're getting it done.

Divorce Rate in America Increasing as Economy Recovers | First to Know

Old 02-26-2014, 10:29 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,065,048 times
Driver in a left turn lane in downtown Miami completely blocking the crosswalk with a red light, and had to back up because buses couldn't make their left turns. As soon as the buses turn, he comes back forward again, blocking the crosswalk once more, the light remaining red for a good 30 seconds longer...gotta love the logic in this...do you really think the light is intimidated and that it is going to change any faster if you're blocking the crosswalk? He should be ticketed for TWO red light violations!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,796,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Driver in a left turn lane in downtown Miami completely blocking the crosswalk with a red light, and had to back up because buses couldn't make their left turns. As soon as the buses turn, he comes back forward again, blocking the crosswalk once more, the light remaining red for a good 30 seconds longer...gotta love the logic in this...do you really think the light is intimidated and that it is going to change any faster if you're blocking the crosswalk? He should be ticketed for TWO red light violations!
I am surprised he could back up..... i would expect cars to be riding up his bumper, also waiting for that light to turn green.

I've also seen drivers in Miami drive around someone trying to make a left turn because they didn't go quick enough between the cars lol

Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post

Typical Miami moron

Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I am surprised he could back up..... i would expect cars to be riding up his bumper, also waiting for that light to turn green.

I've also seen drivers in Miami drive around someone trying to make a left turn because they didn't go quick enough between the cars lol

I've seen it in Orlando a cpl times too. Gotta love the new crap being brought to FL.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 AM

6,976 posts, read 7,745,631 times
Are Florida drivers bad? Not necessarily. But, Florida has a staggering number of transplants from all over the country and the world who are driving. The problem is, people in the Northeastern U.S. drive differently from people in the Southwestern U.S. who drive differently from people in the Midwest. It isn't that Florida drivers are any worse than drivers anywhere else, it's just that when you put that many driving styles together you're going to get some serious traffic issues.

Btw, I've noticed that this issue is far more prevalent the farther south you go in Florida. Jacksonville isn't all that bad, but by the time you get down to Miami it's like a bunch of blind rats trying to run a maze.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Texas and southeastern US States (with the exception of GA), are the worst for driving. Feel free to look it up.

Also, ATL is not a US State.

I don't need to look up anything, I've driven in all those places. ATL not a state yes, but what else is in Ga besides ATL worth mentioning?,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida