U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM
 
129 posts, read 435,255 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

thanks but I don t think I would like Tx. It is a big state and i think they have hot weather like Fl. I am not sure if they have a change of season. Any impute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,419,713 times
Reputation: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
thanks but I don t think I would like Tx. It is a big state and i think they have hot weather like Fl. I am not sure if they have a change of season. Any impute?
Texas is the largest state in the country after Alaska. It is huge & has 4 distinct geographical areas. Where you live in TX will dictate the weather most of the year except for summer [May - Oct] which is hot, hot & then hot. But that is nothing new.

We were on a military base in central Texas, about 40 miles north of Austin for 5 years. Not much foliage or trees throughout the region; very devoid of living anything. I sorta felt like there were 2 seasons there: summer & a combo of fall & winter. There were more than a few days where we had to wear gloves & a heavier coat. But nothing out of the ordinary. Never remember a Christmas where it wasn't warm & I never got use to that part.

But hill country is beautiful & it can snow in the upper western part of the state.

Houston is quite warm & humid in the summer. Dallas & Austin are more warm & not so much humidity. Native Texans like to say give Texas a minute & the weather will change. That is true. With the size that it is, many weather patterns come & go there. Personally, I feel the place is just hot most of the year. Just depends on where one lives to see what weather you get for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 08:08 PM
 
27 posts, read 136,117 times
Reputation: 18
We have visited the Ozarks many of times and the water is absolutely beautiful there and the summers last from late April until early October and no ALLIGATORS in their water either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
 
Location: PSL FL
573 posts, read 2,216,318 times
Reputation: 113
We were thinking of moving to OK a few years back, but the threat of tornados scared us away! Also, according to city data stats, Tulsa has a pretty high crime index. Have you checked into that? My friends lived in MO and wouldn't move back there, too cold for them. Me, I like the cold, but is there really much to do in either of these states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM
 
395 posts, read 1,356,529 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
We were thinking of moving to OK a few years back, but the threat of tornados scared us away! Also, according to city data stats, Tulsa has a pretty high crime index. Have you checked into that? My friends lived in MO and wouldn't move back there, too cold for them. Me, I like the cold, but is there really much to do in either of these states?
Well we will most likely move to one of the suburbs of either Oklahoma City or Tulsa. I have done the research and most of the outlying areas of these cities have astonishingly low crime rates. Sand Springs, Broken Arrow,Sapulpa and Jenks are suburbs of Tulsa and I was surprised at how low the crime index is for all of them.Same thing for the suburbs of OKC, in fact their crime index is even lower I think. The reason I am leaning towards these areas is because I think we would be miserable if we were stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere.I also need to be close to where I can get services for my daughters and husband.

I have also looked into the community colleges for both cities and they both offer a program that I am interested in which is occupational therapy assisting. Here the nearest program for that is in Daytona Beach.Actually,I am hoping not to have to work for two or three years so I can go back to school and take care of my husband and daughter.

As far as things to do is concerned as long as I can get to some good thrift shops and flea markets,parks and can get to a movie theater without driving 30 miles I will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 AM
 
15,130 posts, read 31,049,261 times
Reputation: 18255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
Well we will most likely move to one of the suburbs of either Oklahoma City or Tulsa. I have done the research and most of the outlying areas of these cities have astonishingly low crime rates. Sand Springs, Broken Arrow,Sapulpa and Jenks are suburbs of Tulsa and I was surprised at how low the crime index is for all of them.Same thing for the suburbs of OKC, in fact their crime index is even lower I think. The reason I am leaning towards these areas is because I think we would be miserable if we were stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere.I also need to be close to where I can get services for my daughters and husband.

I have also looked into the community colleges for both cities and they both offer a program that I am interested in which is occupational therapy assisting. Here the nearest program for that is in Daytona Beach.Actually,I am hoping not to have to work for two or three years so I can go back to school and take care of my husband and daughter.

As far as things to do is concerned as long as I can get to some good thrift shops and flea markets,parks and can get to a movie theater without driving 30 miles I will be happy.
Floridamom - have you considered Polk County at all? We just moved to Lakeland, a beautiful small city between Tampa and Orlando. Many colleges here, and I looked it up and the program you want is available at Polk Community:

Welcome | OTA Program - Polk Community College (http://www.polk.edu/INSTRUCT/Mash/alliedhealth/ota/index.htm - broken link)

In addition, Polk County is a LOT more affordable than other areas of Florida and has many jobs available in health care. Add to that this is one of THE most friendly, and family/community oriented places I have ever seen. Remember, I am speaking as a native, who has visited or lived in several areas of the state, and I am most impressed by this area. The bonus is, when you DO start making more money at your new job, you are between two bigger cities to enjoy all the theme parks, beaches, etc. if that is your scene. But there is loads of fun FREE stuff for you and your family to do in Lakeland. I really can't say enough good about the place. I know that people here must be thinking I have some kind of vested interest in it with all the compliments I have for it, but honestly, it's just that I never expected to find such a great place to live in my home state.

Anyway, just a suggestion before you pull up all roots and go to another state, that's a big move to make.

Good luck to you!

ETA: Lots of GREAT thrift shops here, too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 AM
 
395 posts, read 1,356,529 times
Reputation: 360
Well we really have not considered Polk county at all. I have considered Citrus county. If we end up stuck here for a few more years my husband really does not want to have to change attorneys for his disability. His attorney is in Ocala. If we go to Citrus it will still be pretty easy to get to his attorney as it is about the same distance we are now just a different direction.I am a Florida native of 36 years and my hubby is 38 and has been here since he was 8. He has never really felt like Florida was home and for as long as I have known him (20 years) has always told people he meets that he is from Erie PA and never Florida.We actually were happier in Texas and Oklahoma will at least get us closer to there.

One of the reasons we decided on Oklahoma is because the home schooling laws there are much better than in Florida and we want our daughters to have least restrictive home schooling laws we can get as both are special needs kids. One has severe autism and we are currently home schooling her. the other is high functioning and I would like to home school her as well but she really likes school and is doing alright there but we will most likely home school her in Oklahoma. There you do not have to even register,and there is no yearly evaluations. They even have it in the state constitution that parents have the right to home school.

Thank you for taking the time to look up that info about the college. I do appreciate it. If I were going to stay in Florida I would definitely consider Polk County.

Last edited by Floridamom1970; 08-21-2007 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,179,157 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post

One of the reasons we decided on Oklahoma is because the home schooling laws there are much better than in Florida and we want our daughters to have least restrictive home schooling laws we can get as both are special needs kids. One has severe autism and we are currently home schooling her. the other is high functioning and I would like to home school her as well but she really likes school and is doing alright there but we will most likely home school her in Oklahoma. There you do not have to even register,and there is no yearly evaluations. They even have it in the state constitution that parents have the right to home school.

Thank you for taking the time to look up that info about the college. I do appreciate it.
I have a high-functioning autistic family member, and I just have to say to you Floridamom, if your daughter enjoys school, keep her in school. She will be much better off.

One of the biggest problems with autism is social interaction and the more practice she can get, the better. Be an advocate for your child and use all the school district resources you can for her.

Keeping her in the house will not be an advantage for her. If she can get her high school degree and maybe even some college, she might be able to be a self-supporting member of society. If you keep her in the house, you might be fast-tracking her to a life of SSI payments .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
 
395 posts, read 1,356,529 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I have a high-functioning autistic family member, and I just have to say to you Floridamom, if your daughter enjoys school, keep her in school. She will be much better off.

One of the biggest problems with autism is social interaction and the more practice she can get, the better. Be an advocate for your child and use all the school district resources you can for her.

Keeping her in the house will not be an advantage for her. If she can get her high school degree and maybe even some college, she might be able to be a self-supporting member of society. If you keep her in the house, you might be fast-tracking her to a life of SSI payments .
The reason we are keeping her home schooled is because she is actually doing MUCH better and making more progress now that she is home with me than she ever did at public school. She is starting to read and is writing more and her verbal skills have gone way up. She has also stopped doing the self cutting that she started the last year she attended school. I do not believe that the public schools here teach autistic children enough life skills. We had been having problems dealing with the Marion County Schools for good couple of years. We started home schooling because she developed an intense fear of getting on the bus last school year. Suddenly she started screaming and crying when I would try to put her on in the morning. We were 45 minutes away from her school and I could not drive her there twice a day five days a week. The school did try and try to get her on the bus and figure out what the problem was and even sent behavioral therapists out to the house to see if they could get her on. Her self injurous behavior became worse and the school did not believe us when we told them we thought it was causing her stress to force her on the bus. They basically told us that they were going to start forcing the issue with her and that we were just letting her get her way by insisting that they stop trying to force her onto the bus.

Between her Dad and I we eventually figured out that she has developed more serious sensory issues and now she wears rifle range earmuffs to help her deal with it although even with them she is still sensitive to loud noises. She keeps them on even all the time now. Since she is doing so much better at home we are going to keep her here with us. She and her sister already get SSI payments but I think her sister will probably not need them in adulthood. This child is severe enough that her future is uncertain, she will probably always have to live with us although we certainly want to get her at a higher functioning level.

Our stress level as a family has decreased quite a bit as well and we really needed that since my hubby is disabled too.

But to get back to the original subject, my hubby and I agree that we really need a new start in a new place.It just has to be done the right way. Our teen son is not at all happy with the idea of moving so far away but he will adjust and we are hoping that he can stay with family till he graduates if he wants to stay till then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,179,157 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
The reason we are keeping her home schooled is because she is actually doing MUCH better and making more progress now that she is home with me than she ever did at public school. She is starting to read and is writing more and her verbal skills have gone way up. She has also stopped doing the self cutting that she started the last year she attended school. I do not believe that the public schools here teach autistic children enough life skills. We had been having problems dealing with the Marion County Schools for good couple of years. We started home schooling because she developed an intense fear of getting on the bus last school year. Suddenly she started screaming and crying when I would try to put her on in the morning. We were 45 minutes away from her school and I could not drive her there twice a day five days a week. The school did try and try to get her on the bus and figure out what the problem was and even sent behavioral therapists out to the house to see if they could get her on. Her self injurous behavior became worse and the school did not believe us when we told them we thought it was causing her stress to force her on the bus. They basically told us that they were going to start forcing the issue with her and that we were just letting her get her way by insisting that they stop trying to force her onto the bus.

Between her Dad and I we eventually figured out that she has developed more serious sensory issues and now she wears rifle range earmuffs to help her deal with it although even with them she is still sensitive to loud noises. She keeps them on even all the time now. Since she is doing so much better at home we are going to keep her here with us. She and her sister already get SSI payments but I think her sister will probably not need them in adulthood. This child is severe enough that her future is uncertain, she will probably always have to live with us although we certainly want to get her at a higher functioning level.

Our stress level as a family has decreased quite a bit as well and we really needed that since my hubby is disabled too.

But to get back to the original subject, my hubby and I agree that we really need a new start in a new place.It just has to be done the right way. Our teen son is not at all happy with the idea of moving so far away but he will adjust and we are hoping that he can stay with family till he graduates if he wants to stay till then.
I guess I'm confused, I though you said your high-functioning child liked school??? No matter, if a child is cutting herself (whether this is your high-functioning or not), there's no point in putting her in a position where that would continue. Best of luck to you and your family .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top