Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM

116 posts, read 169,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesuefaccone View Post
Well, I am a white woman and have a white female partner (2 strikes...lol) and we are moving into a predominately black neighborhood. As a kid, I grew up in a getto. My partner grew up in rural Vermont. No black neighborhoods there, just the rich and the poor. I guess what I want to say is this. We are renting a beautiful house. The other homes in the area are well kept, uncluttered and just as lovely as the one we are going to rent. Now, should I care who lives in those homes? Cause I do not. Just plain working people who take pride in their homes. I personally think that is good enough. I don't know what the crime rate is on that particular block or even the surrounding blocks. Most homes have security systems. So do the homes across town in the mostly white area. I just don't think that color of skin is a reason not to live somewhere. Sure, we might get a few stares, big deal, we will smile and wave. God forbid anyone starts to talk to my partner, she will know their whole life history in no time and they will know ours. lol. Lighten up people it is 2014. Must move past this kind of thing.
You will face the same problems in that neighborhood as you would in any other neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM

29 posts, read 64,488 times
Okay, i think some are forgetting something here, Majority black neighborhoods are always full of crime and not just petty crime, violent crime, i realize this is a taboo subject but really just admit it people.

Why do you think black people move to white areas when they can afford to? i wish it were not about race but it is, now that isn't how ALL black people are but majority Black areas are heavily affected by a rap music that glorifies drug dealing and shooting people.

And for the "Its 2014" type of people, you need to realize the truth and stop pretending that a white person moving to a majority black area is okay because it isn't, most of the oftentimes very violent crime that occurs in these areas isn't even reported on the news.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
What town is this ?I'm really curious. You can dm me. There are racially mixed small Florida towns.

When I was in Umatilla, I asked several black people how they felt about living there. The town has a reputation of being back in the 60s.

Anyway, many of them had moved out to see the world, and then came back. For them, it's fine.

I asked them about the meth labs I'd read about. They said, we all have guns here, that's something you should know. Most of the meth people haven't bothered anybody, but we don't tolerate that or any hoodrats or gangs, either.

So you've got black people who don't like any "crap" or crime from the city, which is good. What they are mainly cautious of is outsiders who might ruin what they cherish.

I'm a vegan atheist so I wouldn't fit in with the Baptist church on one corner and the BBQ place on the next. But in general, I would feel safe there.

The right small town is the one that doesn't take any crap, regardless of race.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 22,292 times
Thank you all for your comments. Let me just say this. I grew up in the ghetto. When I was a kid, Asbury Park, NJ was just that. I went to a primarily black school. I had issue with some of the black students, but so did everyone else. I think a lot of whites are afraid of black people. Just think how they feel when they move into a primarily white neighborhood. My sister lives on the side of town were the streets are isolated "white" areas. Meaning, 2 or 3 streets are all white and then black. A black family moved in next to her. Now, the neighbors don't include them in any of their fancy parties or events. They openly ignore this family. How horrible is that? I am not naïve. I am moving in to a primarily black neighborhood eyes wide open. We will make friends there and a few may not like the fact that we are white. I still say, we need to move pass this "color" stuff. I will let you know what happens.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesuefaccone View Post
Thank you all for your comments. Let me just say this. I grew up in the ghetto. When I was a kid, Asbury Park, NJ was just that. I went to a primarily black school. I had issue with some of the black students, but so did everyone else. I think a lot of whites are afraid of black people. Just think how they feel when they move into a primarily white neighborhood. My sister lives on the side of town were the streets are isolated "white" areas. Meaning, 2 or 3 streets are all white and then black. A black family moved in next to her. Now, the neighbors don't include them in any of their fancy parties or events. They openly ignore this family. How horrible is that? I am not naïve. I am moving in to a primarily black neighborhood eyes wide open. We will make friends there and a few may not like the fact that we are white. I still say, we need to move pass this "color" stuff. I will let you know what happens.
Hey Carriesue, a white person moving into a black neighborhood ain't no big deal, yet you sorta acting like ya some sort of civil rights hero crossing the color line or something. You're the one that is making a big deal about it so just move, you'll be cool.

Now, a black person moving to a white upper middle class neighborhood and not getting shot would be something.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowwatertemple View Post
Now, a black person moving to a white upper middle class neighborhood and not getting shot would be something.
You mean like all of the black professional athletes that live in predominantly white upper class neighborhoods ...

Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You mean like all of the black professional athletes that live in predominantly white upper class neighborhoods ...
What are you trying to say, man?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Your original quote man ...

Black people have been moving to white upper class neighborhoods for quite some time. Athletes are just one example. Please cite some specific instances where a black person has been shot after moving into a white upper class neighborhood. And shot by someone living in that neighborhood ..

Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Your original quote man ...

Black people have been moving to white upper class neighborhoods for quite some time. Athletes are just one example. Please cite some specific instances where a black person has been shot after moving into a white upper class neighborhood. And shot by someone living in that neighborhood ..

I always thoroughly enjoy it when white people take the time to educate me on being black in the USA. Even Lebron knows to watch his back in the white hood.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
So you can't cite any examples then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida