U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:30 PM

495 posts, read 2,077,653 times

Advertisements

This cute little feller wuz trying to open the sliding glass door from the back porch when I seen him.

Good thing the door was locked!

I reckon he had at least a 5 inch leg span.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM

41 posts, read 287,062 times
Default Lol!

"Cute little feller" ...interesting choice of description. If ours was outside, I could of delt with it better. Seeing him crawling around in the house was just too much for me! Keep the door locked, he does look like he could push his way in (lol)!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 84,175 times
Default spiders

what you are probably running into are huntsman spiders,they won't hurt you,both them and the wolf spiders are shy and will hide in the corners and stay away from you. the huntsman spiders got imported into florida, from Australia, they are very good at killing bugs, but their venom has no affect om humans. I love both wolf spiders and the huntsman, the huntsmans can grow up to ten inches from leg to leg, i have one that big in my old garage. here's a good video from australia showing just how harmless and docile they really are. they just scare the living daylights out of people. I'm in extreme south Georgia by the way
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCO56iyBXtU]YouTube - Huntsman Spider[/url]

Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 84,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL80 View Post
Thanks for all of the tips! I think it was a wolf spider or a Huntsman....either way he was the largest spider I've ever seen. Early this morning I went down the hall and low and behold he worked his way into our bathroom (UGGG!). I got my husband out of bed, armed him with two sport bottles of water and a shoe and our spider problem is solved!

From here, we're getting rid of all the spare furniture, becoming vigilant with the spider web removal and calling out the pest guy to spray the yard. All of your tips were great and hopefully we'll be spider free from here on out. My brown recluse bites were intially enough to make me want to run back to Jersey...this big guy nearly sealed the deal.
if it's a wolf spider or a huntsman they won't hurt you a bit, and they don't spin webs, leave them alone and they will help keep the other bugs under control. I have one sitting on my desk looking at me with his eyes,eyes,eyes,eyes,eyes,eyes..... right now.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 AM

770 posts, read 744,148 times
If I saw something like that in my house I think I'd just have to sell it.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,862,553 times
I know the OP was from almost 2 years ago but I had to comment.

Brown recluse bites are extremely rare. Over 85% of bites that are called brown recluse bites are just misdiagnosis.

Not one specimen of brown recluse spider has ever been collected in Tampa (2003 U of F report, may have been one found since) yet I always hear people talking about seeing them.

Here is a map of the Brown Recluse main habitat, it is the dark shaded area.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM

8,233 posts, read 11,229,225 times
My bet is the Wolf spider..... they are really fast and can be HUGE.....

My method of dispatching them is getting the extension hoses on the vacuum and slowly coming directly at them until no more Wolfie.... they for some reason don't move when its coming at them even though they feel the breeze. pity!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,736,832 times
After watching this video, I'm in love with these little creatures!!! I want one for a pet!!! When I finally move to Miami, If I should be so lucky as to find one of these multi-legged pups in my domicile, He/She will be treated as an honored guest!!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 43,873 times
Hi there..we live in Venice Florida and have become quite used to the Brown Wolf Spiders although they terrify me. However, the other day I was driving our Truck and after going 5 miles...with no air conditioning (Sept in Florida) and the biggest spider I have EVER SEEN crawled across my windshield..not a Wolf Spider but more like a Tarantula ..The body on it was as big as a Key Lime..almost as big as a golf ball..not including the furry legs it had!!! Ahhh!!! I get the willys just thinkin about it..I almost wrecked the truck..had to roll up the windows and drove around for hours crying on my cell phone to my husband because I was too scared to get out of the truck..afraid it was still somewhere on the outside. This spider was sooo huge that I have not been right ever since..contimplating moving out of the area..does anybody know what it was? I've seen the wolf spiders..even big ones with the white baby sac on it and this was as big as a tarantula..could it have been????

Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 38,457 times
Probably a huntsman - the one in the video was in Australia but we've got them here too in Southern Florida. They are not nearly as common as the Wolf Spider but I do see them from time to time. One that my wife saw (and got pictures of) had a leg span of around 7"-8". The beauty was enormous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida