U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Location: NJ
7,163 posts, read 11,845,625 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
As I've said, NC is more of the same that I had in FL but with other problems. That's why we avoided it when we left during the boom. I could see that area turning into Florida North and to a great degree, it did.
Hip your absolutely right. I can tell you the area we lived in, in NC well it was a Mini Florida and mini NY funny thing for us it was worse there than here at least that is our opinion....but none the less you hit the nail right on the head
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,626 posts, read 30,599,066 times
Reputation: 11691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Hip your absolutely right. I can tell you the area we lived in, in NC well it was a Mini Florida and mini NY funny thing for us it was worse there than here at least that is our opinion....but none the less you hit the nail right on the head
I can see it being worse in a few ways. One that stands out is that there are probably far more people native to the state per capita and in density than in Florida. And I mean families that go back for a century or two, at least. That makes for far more tension. The bulk of the enormous influx of transplants infiltrated the area not that long ago.

Northerners have been coming to Florida for generations and are a huge presence in Florida, especially along the coasts. It's something that the people of the state have become accustomed to. There are far less issues between the two groups, especially the more south you get.

The other thing I don't like about North Carolina is its tax burden.

I wouldn't have minded being closer to the ocean - and I have a huge love affair with the Atlantic - but along with that comes a dew point that I rather not deal with.

But I just didn't ever want to deal with a transient society, again. And although there are locals, they seem to be so peeved off by the invasion that it feels quite unpleasant.

Just my observation. I'm sure others may feel completely different.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 5,361,458 times
Reputation: 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I can see it being worse in a few ways. One that stands out is that there are probably far more people native to the state per capita and in density than in Florida. And I mean families that go back for a century or two, at least. That makes for far more tension. The bulk of the enormous influx of transplants infiltrated the area not that long ago.

Northerners have been coming to Florida for generations and are a huge presence in Florida, especially along the coasts. It's something that the people of the state have become accustomed to. There are far less issues between the two groups, especially the more south you get.

The other thing I don't like about North Carolina is its tax burden.

I wouldn't have minded being closer to the ocean - and I have a huge love affair with the Atlantic - but along with that comes a dew point that I rather not deal with.

But I just didn't ever want to deal with a transient society, again. And although there are locals, they seem to be so peeved off by the invasion that it feels quite unpleasant.

Just my observation. I'm sure others may feel completely different.
Florida just gets you another way instead of state income tax. The property tax was much lower in NC compared to FL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,626 posts, read 30,599,066 times
Reputation: 11691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Florida just gets you another way instead of state income tax. The property tax was much lower in NC compared to FL.
I said "tax burden" and not "income tax."

North Carolina's tax burden is 16th in the country. Florida's is 31st. Frankly, NC will gets you with hidden taxes all day long and twice on Sunday. And I don't feel there is that much bang for the buck.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2009
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Oveeder, FL
5,563 posts, read 5,653,798 times
Reputation: 1635
No kidding, we feel absolutely financially strapped here in NC. In FL, with less money coming in (working a lot less), we had more money. I dont know how it happened. But we were just fine in FL and here we are in the red at the end of each month.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 AM
 
10,028 posts, read 16,012,307 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I said "tax burden" and not "income tax."

North Carolina's tax burden is 16th in the country. Florida's is 31st. Frankly, NC will gets you with hidden taxes all day long and twice on Sunday. And I don't feel there is that much bang for the buck.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2009
In my limited experience with NC I felt the same. It seemed to be a very expensive state for those who live there, without the bang for the buck. And groceries, at least in the Asheville area, were way more expensive than here - the prices at Ingles just took my breath away - they made Publix look cheap! Of course, that might just be Asheville because of being somewhat isolated in WNC but still. We actually live very very well, here in Sarasota, which is supposedly an "expensive" city, but really isn't. And other than homeowner's insurance, I don't find Florida living to be expensive at all.

I do think Tennessee is a better (and cheaper) alternative for those wanting a change from the north or Florida, it's where I would look if we wanted a vacation place again. (sorry, hik, hope I don't start a stampede now! )

But for now, we're happy right here, just love being near the Gulf Coast too darn much!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: NJ
7,163 posts, read 11,845,625 times
Reputation: 1496
We didnt necessarily find NC expensive our expenses weren't as high there as here however I agree with the Tax Burden...We had to pay property tax on our Cars...our property tax for our home was very very reasonable however we were in the county and well had no services so what are you paying for? there were other things however Groceries were definitely higher there than here...and it was very boring there as well!! Just my 2 Cents
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM
 
7,872 posts, read 4,603,171 times
Reputation: 3250
Does NC have an income tax?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,626 posts, read 30,599,066 times
Reputation: 11691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Does NC have an income tax?
Yep.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
 
185 posts, read 179,525 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yep.
And its comparable to NY. As is the sales tax if I'm not mistaken (believe its 8% where NY is 8.5% when you add state+county).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top