Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times

Advertisements

would you get a house inspected even if it is listed "as is"???

just wondering what most woud do.

I would get it checked regardless. I want to know what I'm living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 06:44 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post

Is there really such thing as "As is" My sister sold a house and had to refund $50,000 on the sale and it was as is. If there is a defect you did not disclose or try to hide you may be liable.

Seller Disclosure (http://www.fundhomeinfo.com/template.cfm/3_3_4 - broken link)

Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 PM

noooo dude!
I think you missed the question. ...I said nothing about my house.
I said would you still want an inspection if a house was being sold as is?

Actually, our house is in perfect condition, thanks!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
noooo dude!
I think you missed the question. ...I said nothing about my house.
I said would you still want an inspection if a house was being sold as is?

Actually, our house is in perfect condition, thanks!
Of course. How could you buy a house without an inspection?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:

You generally have to now anyway, most insurance companies are requiring a four-point inspection unless it is a brand new home.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM

people aren't inspecting our old house. This has happend twice where they haven't.

...ours is "as is" and no there is nothing wrong w/ it.
....the first lady who offered on the house asked for an extra 5000 to redue the kichen, 2% towards repairs and for us to pay closing cost.
so we said "as is" as a way to say ...take it or leave it and we aren't playing games.

...they aren't required to have an inspection, the buyers usually require an inspection. ...glad too see other people agree with me. inspections are a must in my book.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:

...they aren't required to have an inspection, the buyers usually require an inspection. ...glad too see other people agree with me. inspections are a must in my book.
........or so they think . The game is changing, that's why I said "generally" and "most". It's not an absolute, but when those buyers get to the point of securing their homeowners insurance, they may be suprised to find that most insurers - this is not the bank, but the insurance companies - will require a 4-point inspection.

So, what is happening more often is that a buyer will hire a "regular" home inspector for their peace of mind (Inspection #1), and then there will be a seperate inspection for the insurance agency (Inspection #2). One inspection can, and sometimes does, cover both aspects, but most brokers will tell you it's wiser to keep them seperate (don't offer the insurers more info than required).

So for sellers, it can present a problem when selling. All may go along just fine, but if a 4-point is required and the house doesn't pass, then there's no insurance, which means there's no mortgage, so unless your buyers can buy for cash, there's no sale .

Houses can still slide by without the inspection, but that's becoming increasingly rare.

And of course there is the WDO inspection - Inspection #3 - and this is an inspection the home has to pass as well in order for the sale to go through.

Last edited by riveree; 08-21-2007 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: meant "sellers", not "buyers"

Old 08-22-2007, 06:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
You better get that house inspected!!!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as "as is", don't let people feed you a bunch of stuff about disclosure laws, etc. True, on residential properties, the seller must disclose certian defects that they know about, but that's as far as it goes, with an "as-is" contract.

Think! Which would you rather have:

1) A house you bought "as-is" from a seller (with no inspection) who forgot to tell you that he had it treated for termites 19 times in the past 6 months, that has exterior walls that you can poke your finger through, missing 50% of it's interior framing, and a one way ticket to a 4-year lawsuit (all of which you will have to disclose to the next buyer)??? or

2) A completely different house that is nearly perfect and no lawsuit?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 AM

My new house was inspected! We live in it!

...our old house is "as is" and they don't want an inspection.
It's inspectable, they can inspect it as many times as they want. I just found it werid they were passing on the inspection.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
You better get that house inspected!!!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as "as is", don't let people feed you a bunch of stuff about disclosure laws, etc. True, on residential properties, the seller must disclose certian defects that they know about, but that's as far as it goes, with an "as-is" contract.

Think! Which would you rather have:

1) A house you bought "as-is" from a seller (with no inspection) who forgot to tell you that he had it treated for termites 19 times in the past 6 months, that has exterior walls that you can poke your finger through, missing 50% of it's interior framing, and a one way ticket to a 4-year lawsuit (all of which you will have to disclose to the next buyer)??? or

2) A completely different house that is nearly perfect and no lawsuit?

Good post, right on point.

Even in an "As Is" contract, you have the right to ask that repairs be done or you can get out of the contract if the inspection reveals bad things.

Home inspections are well worth the cost.

Don't forget to get inspections on new construction. On my last new construction home, I was really surprised at all the things that were done incorrectly or not according to the contract or code. The inspections were well worth the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida