U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,537,387 times

Advertisements

i got a haircut today, talked to the lady cutting my hair, and she is moving to nc. several other ppl in the store said they were moving to nc. the lady cutting my hair also complained b/c many of her clients are moving to nc.

now, i get a email from a friend of mine whi says he's outta here too --- moving to sc!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,414,667 times
Every few years there is a cycle of people moving to some state or the other. Right now, it does seem like lots are moving to the Carolinas.

Just saw the foreclosure stats for July & the Carolinas don't even come close to making the news. Also saw a report on CNN the other day about Raleigh...one of the lowest home inventories in the country with one of the fastest growing economies.

No perfection anywhere, but some places, at this point in time, are doing better than others in terms of economy & housing.

My brother lives in Charlotte, NC & hopes to never have to leave. To him, the weather, the people & the lifestyle are great.

To each their own. Just hope the Carolinas don't become the next Floridas or Californias!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 PM

796 posts, read 3,350,331 times
I'm moving TO Florida soona s I can get there!!! I can visit my brother who lives in N carolina..good enough for me!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,665,722 times
Sometimes I think people make these decisions based on the greener pastures theory.

I think western NC is beautiful, but we just got back from there and one day it was 101 and miserable unless you were up in the 4500-5000 ft. range. So much for Florida's heat. The mornings were a bit cooler than here, but also fog for several hours.

Gas was higher in NC than anywhere along I-75 from central FL northward, and of course GA was cheaper. The least expensive was $2.79.9 when we left there and 12 hours later here it was $2.65.9.

Groceries are just as expensive, some moreso than Florida.

Housing costs are comparable to central Florida. In many areas it seems the taxes are about the same or a bit lower but I don't know what the insurance costs are. ( I suppose this also depends on the type house you have, how long you've been in it -- Save our Homes, etc.)

NC also has a state income tax. And jobs don't pay any better than Florida from what I understand.

Maybe just looking at the mountains and the natural beauty is worth the move for some. Or maybe they really have found a better opportunity. I just hope they're not disappointed once they make the move.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,902,869 times
There's always been a lot of people moving in and out of Fla. It's a big state and will probably hit 25+ million people by 2020.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,232,250 times
Lightbulb Is the glass half full or half empty....

Is a matter of choice and sometimes necessity. Folks will move in/out of the state in a cyclical manner. Many more will come is a matter of time....

Old 08-21-2007, 08:31 PM

975 posts, read 3,430,054 times
Read the Raleigh/Durham forum--there are so many people piling in there from other places that the job market has become saturated--people can't find jobs easily anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Sometimes I think people make these decisions based on the greener pastures theory.

I think western NC is beautiful, but we just got back from there and one day it was 101 and miserable unless you were up in the 4500-5000 ft. range. So much for Florida's heat. The mornings were a bit cooler than here, but also fog for several hours.

Gas was higher in NC than anywhere along I-75 from central FL northward, and of course GA was cheaper. The least expensive was $2.79.9 when we left there and 12 hours later here it was $2.65.9.

Groceries are just as expensive, some moreso than Florida.

Housing costs are comparable to central Florida. In many areas it seems the taxes are about the same or a bit lower but I don't know what the insurance costs are. ( I suppose this also depends on the type house you have, how long you've been in it -- Save our Homes, etc.)

NC also has a state income tax. And jobs don't pay any better than Florida from what I understand.

Maybe just looking at the mountains and the natural beauty is worth the move for some. Or maybe they really have found a better opportunity. I just hope they're not disappointed once they make the move.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM

mr tudo, i was born in fla, and i am aware that this is a very transient state, but it seems like so many ppl are moving to one particular area. i used to live in nc, and met many ppl from fla who lived in nc. but today, it was overwhelming how many ppl i heard of are moving to the carolina's. maybe when i was there, i didnt appreciate some of the better aspects/advantages it has over fla. now i am wishing to find a place "nc-like" in fla, but it seems impossible to find. if family would follow me back to the carolina's, i'd probably move to the greenville, sc or charlotte areas.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 PM

another thing i've noticed is the quality of ppl. there are very nice ppl in both areas, but i live in a 300k - 400k neighborhood, and ppl are rude, drive too fast, leave cars parked all over the street, etc... and in nc, if you move to a comparable subdivision, you just dont have these kind of problems. atleast this is my experience in orlando.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 PM

975 posts, read 3,430,054 times
Maybe you would like Jax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
another thing i've noticed is the quality of ppl. there are very nice ppl in both areas, but i live in a 300k - 400k neighborhood, and ppl are rude, drive too fast, leave cars parked all over the street, etc... and in nc, if you move to a comparable subdivision, you just dont have these kind of problems. atleast this is my experience in orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or