Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 13,380 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to appeal property taxes? Or on average what is the savings?

I don't have homestead and it seems the value of the property magically jumped 23% from last year. Maybe the state wants to buy my house?

Funny how they fixed taxes to get savings, property values have gone DOWN and yet the state keep increasing my market value.

I'm beginning to suspect the state just figures the hell with it lets increase everyones market value 20-30% forever or until owners riot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,391,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannystang View Post

I don't have homestead and it seems the value of the property magically jumped 23% from last year. Maybe the state wants to buy my house?
They hit you hard when you don't have a homestead. I once had a house that I moved out of, but kept (so I had to remove my homestead), and a year later they jacked my taxes up nearly threefold.

I thought of appealing, but their value really wasn't that far off (just a little over) and I thought it might open up a can of worms.

They have yet to reassess it again, only incremental increases since then, so now my taxes are again "low" for the value.

Sounds like a reassessment if it went up 23%. Is the house, in fact, now being taxed for more than it's worth? Did you check the recent sales in the nieghborhood and calculate the selling price per square foot? That's all you can argue if you want to contest it with the property tax office.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,352,258 times
Counties were playing catch up just as the market tanked. Now I wonder how long if at all they will take to revise the higher tax rates. You can contact the property appraiser's office to appeal your taxes.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
They hit you hard when you don't have a homestead. I once had a house that I moved out of, but kept (so I had to remove my homestead), and a year later they jacked my taxes up nearly threefold.

I thought of appealing, but their value really wasn't that far off (just a little over) and I thought it might open up a can of worms.

They have yet to reassess it again, only incremental increases since then, so now my taxes are again "low" for the value.

Sounds like a reassessment if it went up 23%. Is the house, in fact, now being taxed for more than it's worth? Did you check the recent sales in the nieghborhood and calculate the selling price per square foot? That's all you can argue if you want to contest it with the property tax office.
Hard to gauge, last years sales no its about right but nothing has sold in 10 months and asking prices are getting below what the state claims my market value is...

I think alot of people going to get a nasty surprise this month...

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,174,204 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how to appeal property taxes? Or on average what is the savings?

Funny how they fixed taxes to get savings, property values have gone DOWN and yet the state keep increasing my market value.

I'm beginning to suspect the state just figures the hell with it lets increase everyones market value 20-30% forever or until owners riot.
Honestly, I think it would fall on deaf ears. You would be asking the appraiser to speculate of future values and they are not going to do that. They will need some sales to take place to confirm the trends up or down.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM

166 posts, read 246,231 times
Default property tax

I got my 'love letter' too. My property value jumped from 177,299 to $194,913.......a change of approximately 10%. I've had it on the market for $180,000. someone's math is off??? Maybe next year?
I'm not going to appeal it, with my luck they'd UP it again!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Hard to gauge, last years sales no its about right but nothing has sold in 10 months and asking prices are getting below what the state claims my market value is...

I think alot of people going to get a nasty surprise this month...
It sounds like they're assessing it pretty fairly then, not much you can do. If you try to appeal, it can backfire on you, so I wouldn't suggest it unless they were really overvaluing the home .

I am guessing it is an investment home, that's why you do not have a homestead on it? I'm not looking forward to the new attention to property tax if the vote goes through in January, it may prompt more agressive reassessments going forward .

Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It sounds like they're assessing it pretty fairly then, not much you can do. If you try to appeal, it can backfire on you, so I wouldn't suggest it unless they were really overvaluing the home .

I am guessing it is an investment home, that's why you do not have a homestead on it? I'm not looking forward to the new attention to property tax if the vote goes through in January, it may prompt more agressive reassessments going forward .
Wasn't intended to be investment was actually going to be my home but things happen and now I have extra property...

I really wonder what renters are going to do, prices would have to sink ALOT for anything to be affordable...even worse for multiple home owners.

I know people who bought condos for 30k-40k 20 yrs ago CASH and break even after taxes and maintenence...wasn't the case a few yrs ago..

Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,197,969 times
The city of Orlando has increased the assessment of every home in my community by 100K this year!! I know that sounds unbelieveable but it is true! I live in a relatively small, newer community and I checked the property appraiser's site for every home. I feel so sorry for those few who didn't have SOH! I can't imagine getting a bill for 2K higher than I expected!

Several homes that are on the market are assessed at an amount higher than the sales price! One home I checked on was assessed at $410,000 and it has been for sale for months for $385,000!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Wasn't intended to be investment was actually going to be my home but things happen and now I have extra property...

I really wonder what renters are going to do, prices would have to sink ALOT for anything to be affordable...even worse for multiple home owners.

I know people who bought condos for 30k-40k 20 yrs ago CASH and break even after taxes and maintenence...wasn't the case a few yrs ago..
It's soured me to real estate as an investment . My focus now is to be more liquid so I am not tied to any one area beyond a primary home. I love Florida and have no intentions of leaving, but if it gets too stupid here I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida