U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 PM

150 posts, read 647,635 times

Advertisements

I thought the sandpiper was Florida's version of the seagull. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 PM

66 posts, read 289,307 times
I think the gulls ate the fireflies and headed for Lake Michigan. I saw a passing glow headed north last month.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 AM

18 posts, read 171,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
We have seagulls but I don't see any fireflys anymore. We use to have tons of them but the last 10 years I don't see them. Anyone else notice this?

I'd have to research this for the facts, but you are right about the fireflys. My mom was telling me about this earlier this spring. She had read, or had seen a report, that explained that the number of fireflys have severely declined. Something about a disease, or virus, that strikes the female fireflys (I believe).

As for seagulls, I've seen a lot of them here in Illinois. They are "regulars" at a shopping mall....strangely enough.....and, there are a lot of them around our larger lakes.

Lori

Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,855 times
Quote:
We have seagulls but I don't see any fireflys anymore. We use to have tons of them but the last 10 years I don't see them. Anyone else notice this?
I've see maybe 5 fireflies in Florida.
I honestly didn't think they lived here ...I love them!

I will never forget being around 10 years old, my mom catches a firefly(in ILL), squishes it and drags its guts around my ring finger. She then said "look Kelly, you have a glowing ring" and started laughing ...I was so grossed out!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 AM

272 posts, read 1,404,462 times
Quote:

My wife and I were just talking about this the other day. When we were kids the yard was swarming with fireflies in the summer and we would catch them and put them in jars. We wanted to show our kids how to do this but I haven't seen a single firefly in years. My wife speculated that the mosquito spray trucks might be killing all of the fireflies too. It is strange.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM

17,743 posts, read 53,880,773 times
We have all your fireflies and are holding them hostage in rural north Alabama.

Come to think of it, I did notice a decline in the number of seagulls in Florida this year, even around the landfills. Perhaps West Nile Virus and other diseases are thinning the population?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 PM

960 posts, read 1,353,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We have all your fireflies and are holding them hostage in rural north Alabama.

Come to think of it, I did notice a decline in the number of seagulls in Florida this year, even around the landfills. Perhaps West Nile Virus and other diseases are thinning the population?
It's a bit disconcerting, whether or not you consider seagulls, the pigeons of the sea. It may have something to do with Harmful Algae Bloom (HAB) or commonly known as red tide. "Red tide" can still kill populations of fish well after a bloom is gone. If it can kill the fish population, imagine what it can do to the bird population dependant on them for food.
The Gulf of Mexico has a large "dead zone", which isn't uncommon. This "dead zone" size, however, is extremely large.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,876,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Ok thought I would ask some of you who have lived here for a long time. WHere are the sea gulls? We have been down here for about a month and a half now and every time we go to the beach there are no sea gulls? Daytona used to always have them? What has happened? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

All dead I hope.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM

460 posts, read 2,144,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
It's a bit disconcerting, whether or not you consider seagulls, the pigeons of the sea. It may have something to do with Harmful Algae Bloom (HAB) or commonly known as red tide. "Red tide" can still kill populations of fish well after a bloom is gone. If it can kill the fish population, imagine what it can do to the bird population dependant on them for food.
The Gulf of Mexico has a large "dead zone", which isn't uncommon. This "dead zone" size, however, is extremely large.
Thank you Carbondated for your response. I was hoping from all these replies that someone would have some idea of where the sea gulls have gone to.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM

960 posts, read 1,353,622 times
You're most welcome oceandreams94. I hope this years shore bird count will not be as low as last years. The other night I was at the beach looking for manatees and dolphins, and spotted one manatee and only one seagull. Sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida