Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 PM

227 posts, read 856,308 times

Advertisements

Valarie, Palm Coast has built up quite a bit especially in the commercial sector and more is on the way. The 14 screen movie theater will be done this fall and we are all looking forward to it Not the sleepy little town it used to be. We have many really nice parks and nature trails to go along with the commercial development. If you plan on taking your son to St. Augustine you may want to live in the more northern section of the city as will be closer. Check out Welcome to palmcoastbiz.com - Search Results for "palmcoastbiz.com" or the City of Palm Coast website for all the scoop on PC. We were affected by hurricanes in 05 but only slightly in comparison to other areas. Highest winds I believe were around 76mph. We've had quite a bit of rains here at different times and no flooding of homes that I recall due to the type of storm drainage we have, it's made up of canals, swales and ditches for drain off. If you need the "big" city life then this is not for you. There's pros and cons to everyplace and the biggest challenge for PC right now is bringing in more jobs. Good luck and enjoy PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 AM

191 posts, read 632,772 times
PC is just a town of nothing. It's not built up up at all yet close to other major cities i suppose. I lived there for 2 years and absolutely would never go back. Jobs there are none. Flagler county was once the fastest growing county in florida but that came to a hault years ago. Every block has 2-5 houses empty and pushed up right next to Bunnell which isn't a pretty city. There are more con's than pro's in Pc for sure.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM

97 posts, read 216,792 times
I moved here from Pittsburgh one year ago. Originally was planning on the St. Augustine area, but found a nice rental here in Flagler County so here is where we moved.

When I refer to this area, it will be as the county, although Palm Coast makes up the largest area, housing-wise. The county is absolutely beautiful, and largely rural. There are something liek 45 parks, and a significant portion of the county is is protected wetlands and wooded areas.

If you like outdoor activites, this is the place for you. There are hundreds of miles for walking, biking trails everywhere, and of course 18 miles of prime beach that is mostly accessible and with easy parking. Dogs are allowed on most areas outside of Flagler Beach proper, if they are on a leash.

There is a great spirit of giving, and volunteerism is very high here. By and large the schools are fairly new with good teachers.

To the lady who will be taking her son to school in St. Augustine, you would want to live in the north end of town, Seminole Woods will get you close to Rte 1, Belle Terre - B section, or the C or F sections will get you close to A1A. Housing in Palm Coast mostly goes by sections that are names after letters of the alphabet. Everyone seems to have a differing opinion on what is best. You will find housing in St. Augustine is much more expensive than in Flagler County. Rents range from $700 for a duplex or small house to $1200 for something really nice with a pool. There are few apartment complexes, three I think, and they are pretty small. Houses are definitley a better option. You will generally need 1 month rent and 1 month security and many allow small pets. Go to Craigs list, Daytona, there is alot available right now and many of them have photo's.

Weather - I moved here from Pittsburgh, which tends to be pretty humid in the summer with avg temps from 80''s to low 90's. I previously had a job where I worked outside often. I found it mostly comfortable here. There is a breeze that is usually blowing so it lessens the feel of how hot it is. October was the worst for me, I was really, really hot and my body was yearning for the typical fall weather. Unfortunaltey, I had gotten rid of most of my winter clothes and coudn't find the few I had left. It was a cold winter here. So keep some winter clothes, including a coat. Same breezes that are great in the summer are not so great in the winter. Of course, this was the worst winter in quite a while.

The problem here is JOBS. There are none. Now I had heard this plenty and had been warned, but I have to say I didnt' believe it. I have worked at almost everything and am not picky but there really are none to be had. I expected the wages to be low and they are - really, really low. A good paying job here is around $12. I get excited when I see something around $10. I used to make well, at least twice that. And most jobs are part time. It is not that much different in Daytona, the next easiest commute, and somewhat better in Jax, but not significantly. To put in more concret terms, 95% of those working in this county are self employed, or employed by businesses with 1-5 employees. There is 1 large company, plus the hospital (small) and school district (fairly small).

I wish I had listened to what others where telling me about the employment situation. We have gone entirely through our savings, I have sold anything gold. Next will go one of my cars. We have no money to move from here, even if we wanted to. Rents are fairly reasonable, gas right now is around 2.89,(and you will use plenty of it as things are very spread out here). Food is pretty much as it is in the north. Vehicle and home insurance is more.

People here are very nice. Many people in Palm Coast come from New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts.

As for shopping, pretty much everything you need is in Palm Coast wit many chains represented. If you are into boutiques, you will be very disapointed. Daytona and Jax are both close enough if you don't like what is availble here.

Good luck to all who look to move here. We thought we had found our paradise, I only hope it doesn't become Paradise Lost. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
I remember Palm Coast before the red light cameras and the curfews for kids. People from everywhere moved to this little town because it was cheap. It's not the worst place, but it's just a town with nothing but houses and strip malls, and angry older people.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
I moved to Palm Coast in 84.. It has came a long long way in what there is to do there.. well let me rephrase.. where there is to shop.. lol.. New movie theater coming soon.. Bowling ally is still there.. not much else.. lol but Daytona Beach & St. Augustine are both only like 30 minutes away.. Plenty to do in both of those.. lol

Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Looking to move to PC with 16yr. old who will be uprising senior who has been at her same Christian school since age 3 and one son who is 2nd yr. Music Education Major who is excited to become a elementary music teacher....what does PC have to offer for these two in form of Christian school and college? Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida