Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM

52 posts, read 287,948 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have Countrywide homeowner's insurance. We pay $3,600 (pre-insurance-reduction bill) a year for a 350K home. Is this reasonable? Any ideas on how good they would pay in a payout situation? I have considered looking for other insurance but I'm afraid to jump because of all the people getting cancellation letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
With the mess that company is in at this moment, looking elsewhere may be wise on your part.

Don't know where you live [coastal, inland, etc] so can't say if it is reasonable or not.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:54 PM

52 posts, read 287,948 times
We live 10 miles inland. Allstate made us an offer of $1900 a year but then I noticed it was a policy written for seniors and some other things. I'm afraid of them and think they're just trying to lure us in and then tell us the policy is really much higher.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,154,502 times
Where are you in Florida? I have Countrywide as my mortgage bank. I didn't know they had HOI policies.

If it's any consolation, I pay $6489 for a lot less coverage than that.

Countrywide was bailed out by B of A. They're not in a mess.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 PM

"The parent firm borrowed $11.5 billion Thursday by using up an existing line of credit from 40 banks, saying the money would help the lender meet its funding needs and continue to grow. But stock investors, apparently alarmed that the company felt compelled to use the credit line, sent Countrywide's already battered stock down an additional 11 percent."

I not so sure a bail out shows signs of a thriving company.

Oeabel- Have you tried State Farm or Bonded Builders? I see you mentioned you lived in Estero. Those companies may write policies for that area. I have not heard of State Farm pulling out of Fort Myers area as of yet & out of two, while neither are all that great, I would prefer State Farm.

Call Allstate & ask them to go through the policy with you & explain it line by line.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
"The parent firm borrowed $11.5 billion Thursday by using up an existing line of credit from 40 banks, saying the money would help the lender meet its funding needs and continue to grow. But stock investors, apparently alarmed that the company felt compelled to use the credit line, sent Countrywide's already battered stock down an additional 11 percent."

I not so sure a bail out shows signs of a thriving company.

Oeabel- Have you tried State Farm or Bonded Builders? I see you mentioned you lived in Estero. Those two may write policies for that area. I have not heard of State Farm pulling out of Fort Myers area as of yet.
Well, I have them for my mortgage. Have had them for years. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

What could happen? Sell my account to another bank? Would still be the same terms/interest rate, etc. I just have to watch my escrow. Make sure that doesn't "disappear".

My biggest concern is the HOI. Now THAT bothers me.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Well, I have them for my mortgage. Have had them for years. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

What could happen? Sell my account to another bank? Would still be the same terms/interest rate, etc. I just have to watch my escrow. Make sure that doesn't "disappear".

My biggest concern is the HOI. Now THAT bothers me.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing b/c when we were considering buying, our realtor was trying to sell Countrywide on us like it was gold at the end of the rainbow.

The CEO just did an interview with CNBC & said the US was headed into a recession due to the real estate mess.

I think the problem it faces it that it has to tighten restrictions on mortgages & also the companies who provide them the money are going to be less willing to doll out the millions.

Basically, it seems like Countrywide has to be more selective & strict. Sounds like in 04-05, anyone with a pulse could get a mortgage & now MANY mortgage companies are facing dilemnas. Countrywide is just one of the biggest companies in the country. I am waiting for Sun Trust to hit the news.

HOI scared us enough to not buy along with property taxes. Heck, we could afford the mortgage, just not the HOI or prop taxes

vpcats- you many want to do some research on what would happen to your mortgage if Countrywide went defunk [though that is why B of A bailed em out....Countrywide goes defunk & would the s$#% ever hit the fan!] but at least you would have the knowledge!!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing b/c when we were considering buying, our realtor was trying to sell Countrywide on us like it was gold at the end of the rainbow.

The CEO just did an interview with CNBC & said the US was headed into a recession due to the real estate mess.

I think the problem it faces it that it has to tighten restrictions on mortgages & also the companies who provide them the money are going to be less willing to doll out the millions.

Basically, it seems like Countrywide has to be more selective & strict. Sounds like in 04-05, anyone with a pulse could get a mortgage & now MANY mortgage companies are facing dilemnas. Countrywide is just one of the biggest companies in the country. I am waiting for Sun Trust to hit the news.

HOI scared us enough to not buy along with property taxes. Heck, we could afford the mortgage, just not the HOI or prop taxes

vpcats- you many want to do some research on what would happen to your mortgage if Countrywide went defunk [though that is why B of A bailed em out....Countrywide goes defunk & would the s$#% ever hit the fan!] but at least you would have the knowledge!!
I have a 30 yr traditional and I put my 20% down and have a pretty good interest rate but I sure need to look into what could happen so I am prepared for Plan B.

Yeah, HOI is really making a big dent in everybody's lifes. I pay more in HOI and taxes than on my mortgage.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:43 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Might want to visit the mortgage forum and see if they have more info.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Might want to visit the mortgage forum and see if they have more info.
hummm... yeah... I was parading around there the other day. They sound so complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida