U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:24 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,402,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post

or the electric going off for the 8th or 9th time in January c/o ice storms.

I will trade anyone the cold and ice for the heat and ocean anyday.
The deep dying passion you have for a state you don't live in nor will have to earn an income is well understood. But your dramatic & false statements of Ohio are ridiculous.

I lived in NE OH for 25 years. I went to OSU. I lived & worked in Dublin. So, I've lived in central OH also. And to state that the electric goes off 8-9 times in Jan is well beyond overstated. To constantly make the place sound like the Antartic in 1820 is so humorous.

Guess I will end with the overgeneralized statement of how horrible it is too live in Florida during the summer when the constant hurricanes & constant thunderstorms knock out our power 8-9 times a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,250,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The deep dying passion you have for a state you don't live in nor will have to earn an income is well understood. But your dramatic & false statements of Ohio are ridiculous.

I lived in NE OH for 25 years. I went to OSU. I lived & worked in Dublin. So, I've lived in central OH also. And to state that the electric goes off 8-9 times in Jan is well beyond overstated. To constantly make the place sound like the Antartic in 1820 is so humorous.

Guess I will end with the overgeneralized statement of how horrible it is too live in Florida during the summer when the constant hurricanes & constant thunderstorms knock out our power 8-9 times a month.

Went to OSU, guessing you didn't finish then.
My power in MY neighborhood was off at the least 8-9 times last January.

When was the last winter you lived in Ohio?

In MY opinion is is NOT hard to earn a living in Florida like you make it out to be, why do you keep referring back that I won't need an income? SOME people earn and work there way to retirement and want to enjoy it.

With your college edumucation you should be making a small fortune in Fla writing short stories on how depressing it is to live in Fla and cannot find a job.

If Ohio was so good then why are you in the poor heat stricken state of Florida?

What made you move to Fla?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,355,969 times
it is so unbearably hot in florida over the summer that u basically cannot do much if anything outside. after awhile your head starts pounding from the humidity and stickiness. ive been in fla for 5 y rs now and there is no getting used to the summer heat. i still think dealing with the winters up north is worse but for 5 months or so living down here is just ridiculous hot with absolutely NO relief or dips in the temps. its around 93/80 for 5 months straight. i guess southern california is so popular and expensive for a reason. i cant wait til late october for the first semi cool breeze

Old 08-25-2007, 11:52 AM

440 posts, read 1,365,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
it is so unbearably hot in florida over the summer that u basically cannot do much if anything outside. after awhile your head starts pounding from the humidity and stickiness. ive been in fla for 5 y rs now and there is no getting used to the summer heat. i still think dealing with the winters up north is worse but for 5 months or so living down here is just ridiculous hot with absolutely NO relief or dips in the temps. its around 93/80 for 5 months straight. i guess southern california is so popular and expensive for a reason. i cant wait til late october for the first semi cool breeze
I agree with you but ... you can't beat the weather down here from late November to late May ... and actually you have not felt heat and humidity until you spend a summer in Houston , Texas

Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,729,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
I agree. We run from the a/c in our homes to the hot car crank up the a/c and then run from the car to the next a/c filled building for about 6 months out of the year. Just like northeners do in the winter. I can't wait till the first cool front.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,402,906 times
Quote:
Went to OSU, guessing you didn't finish then.
My power in MY neighborhood was off at the least 8-9 times last January.

When was the last winter you lived in Ohio?

In MY opinion is is NOT hard to earn a living in Florida like you make it out to be, why do you keep referring back that I won't need an income? SOME people earn and work there way to retirement and want to enjoy it.

With your college edumucation you should be making a small fortune in Fla writing short stories on how depressing it is to live in Fla and cannot find a job.

If Ohio was so good then why are you in the poor heat stricken state of Florida?

What made you move to Fla?
I did graduate. I also earned my MaEd as did my husband. I have also served my country as a commissioned officer in the US Army.

I spent last winter in NE OH with family as my husband was commanding a tank company in NW Baghdad, watching friends & peers get blown up, and he himself get injured. I was in OH for we have a child to raise. In January, it was warm enough to take a 6 week old out for a stroller ride. As the case in Feb & March. I know this as this was the way I stayed sane as I got 7 different phone calls in a 8 week period of men who were killed in my husband's company. I also was always outside last winter for there were times my husband could not call for weeks at time due to missions. It was my saving grace being in Ohio.

We are here due to job circumstances. We did not want to come here but it was in our temporary best interest due to the exceptionally good job my husband was offered after his commitment with the Army was up. My husband was home & had less than 50 days to assimilate back into US culture, finish his commitment with the Army & find a job to support his family. I am damn proud of him. I supported him regardless of this being the destination. NOW we have the chance to move on to better things & after what we have gone through, we deserve it. Especially my husband.

We live in SW FL. Do some research on the place. Spend more than a vacation in Fort Myers. Try going to Edison Mall. Even better, take your kid to a Red Sox spring training game & take a look around at the area...yeah....paradise.... Look at some posts just recently about Naples. I am VERY specific in the area I am speaking in regards to FL. I not do feel that all of FL is a pit the way SW FL is.

I do know NE OH got socked with a nasty snowstorm this past Easter in April. I do know that there were some cold spells. I am a big enough person to admit that it is not "perfect" up there nor is it "perfect" in FL.

Please remember you wrote a specific post on how you are retiring here. You are not raising a young family in SW FL. Two COMPLETELY different things. Yet you still insist on cramming it down people's throats that if they only worked they could live the life of luxury here. You are not reading what people are saying. Have you EVER had to earn a living in Florida. NO. So, your assumption is just that and an irresponsible one.

I have stated to you congrats on being able to live the life you want to in a state you want to.

Just take into consideration your opinion is just that...an opininon.

Others have opinions also. Their opinions are just as valid as yours.

It gets cold in Ohio. It gets hot in Florida.

Last edited by 121804; 08-25-2007 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,729,305 times
Quote:
You can always find a way to cool down some, but it is extremely hard to find a way to get warm when it is 20 below zero wind chill and you have no heat in your house.
You know what, as Native Floridian I always say the opposite, its easier to get warm than cooling down from the heat and humidity. We always like or want something we don't have. For instance I live about 7 miles from the beach in flat florida and haven't been to the beach in years (as I try to avoid the sun, its bad for your skin IMO), but I would love to live in a place that has mountains and gets season. I want to experience Fall, Christmas, Spring like many parts of this country experience the seasons. I would love to have a fireplace that I could actually use in the winter time, that smell of a real wood buring fireplace...But you want Florida, there is nothing wrong with that. Just two different wants. BTW the news reported a few days ago that less people are retiring to Florida than ever before.

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-25-2007 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-25-2007, 04:13 PM

975 posts, read 3,426,824 times
very well stated, although I sympathize with FloridaBound -- I can't imagine having to put up with a place like Ohio or Indiana. I guess it might be tolerable to go to college there but not to actually live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You know what, as Native Floridian I always say the opposite, its easier to get warm than cooling down from the heat and humidity. We always like or want something we don't have. For instance I live about 7 miles from the beach in flat florida and haven't been to the beach in years (as I try to avoid the sun, its bad for your skin IMO), but I would love to live in a place that has mountains and gets season. I want to experience Fall, Christmas, Spring like many parts of this country experience the seasons. I would love to have a fireplace that I could actually use in the winter time, that smell of a real wood buring fireplace...But you want Florida, there is nothing wrong with that. Just two different wants. BTW the news reported a few days ago that less people are retiring to Florida than ever before.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,487,280 times
it is SO HOT TODAY!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:17 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,972,116 times
The best weather is where we use to live in the SF Bay area. In the summer it might reach a dry 100 degrees but at night it would go down to 60. During the winter it would be in the 60's during the day and at night in the 40's.If you wanted to go to the snow it was only 3 hours away in Tahoe if you wanted the ocean breeze in SF that was 1 hour away. I really don't mind the heat but I do miss having our windows open every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or