Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,265 times

Advertisements

Just a cautionary tale. Don't drink and drive, even if you think you're fine. I got pulled over in March and I was just over the legal limit. What do you think a first time offender who was not involved in an accident gets for a sentence? Well, the minimums are as follows (but some judges will increase them):

1 night in jail
Car impounded (about $150)
50 hours community service
$500 fine + Court Costs (comes to about $800)
DUI School ($300)
Car booted for 10 days ($75)
6 - 12 months probation ($50 per month $300 - $600)
DUI Victim Impact Panes ($5)
Relicensing fee ($115)

Add it up. Having just a couple of drinks will cost you a MINIMUM of $2,000. Not to mention not being able to drive in Florida is HELL!

Even if you have just one or two drinks, wait at least two hours before you drive or take a cab. It's just not worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
I'm glad you're okay, that was an expensive lesson, huh?

It's something I noticed as soon as I moved to Florida. In NYC I could go out and not have to worry because I would go home on the subway or by cab. Once I moved to Florida I realized that I had to drive myself home......bummer! It definitely curbed my partying .

Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 AM

573 posts, read 2,441,857 times
If you drink and drive, you should have to pay the penalties. I agree with Jim, you do it twice, you should NEVER get your license back and you should get the maximum sentencing. I don't care if you don't hurt anyone, the fact is, even with a few drinks, your judgement is affected, even if you don't think it is. There have been many experiments that your perception is altered slightly. Get a designated driver...take a cab, a lot of bars will call one for you. I kinda think this post would be better accepted in the General Forum, sorry...but that's how I feel.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
DELETED

No I didn't mention that. This was an informative post about the penalties because that is more likely to keep people from drinking and driving than saying you could hurt someone. I am well aware of the risk to life with getting behind the wheel after drinking -- don't be so quick to judge. In fact, my probation officer has been very lenient with me because she said she can tell I'm remorseful.

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-24-2007 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: orphaned posts

Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
No I didn't mention that. This was an informative post about the penalties because that is more likely to keep people from drinking and driving than saying you could hurt someone. I am well aware of the risk to life with getting behind the wheel after drinking -- don't be so quick to judge. In fact, my probation officer has been very lenient with me because she said she can tell I'm remorseful.
I knew a girl whose father was one of the first in Florida to go to prison for vehicular homicide due to alcohol when they started getting tough. One day he is a salesman with a family, the next he is in prison. He was killed in prison by the way.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I knew a girl whose father was one of the first in Florida to go to prison for vehicular homicide due to alcohol when they started getting tough. One day he is a salesman with a family, the next he is in prison. He was killed in prison by the way.
Awful. The stories I've heard, especially in the victim impact panel, are just tragic. A lot of people (myself included) always figured it was really drunk people causing the accident, but when your shown that many times a person is at or just over the legal limit when these accidents occur it is a wake up call. I can't tell you the number of times a friend of mine has told me "I'm alright to drive" (since my arrest) and they think they're okay to drive. I learned my lesson the hard way, I'm just glad it wasn't learned in a tragic way.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,929,950 times
Quote:
Just a quick thought,life must be boring for me.I am 74,drove 34 years for Bell.I have never been ticketed nor have had accident.Drive thoughtfully and think,expect the unexpected.Disrespecting the law doesn't work.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Quote:
Just a cautionary tale. Don't drink and drive, even if you think you're fine. I got pulled over in March and I was just over the legal limit. What do you think a first time offender who was not involved in an accident gets for a sentence? Well, the minimums are as follows (but some judges will increase them):

1 night in jail
Car impounded (about $150)
50 hours community service
$500 fine + Court Costs (comes to about $800)
DUI School ($300)
Car booted for 10 days ($75)
6 - 12 months probation ($50 per month $300 - $600)
DUI Victim Impact Panes ($5)
Relicensing fee ($115)

Add it up. Having just a couple of drinks will cost you a MINIMUM of $2,000. Not to mention not being able to drive in Florida is HELL!

Even if you have just one or two drinks, wait at least two hours before you drive or take a cab. It's just not worth it
What about your insurance?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,245,857 times
It's a hard but fair lesson.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:46 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,055 times
I guess the post was deleted already, but there's no reason to jump down VictoryTampa's throat over this. What he did was wrong, but can everyone here truthfully say that they've never gotten in a car after having 2 or 3 drinks in their life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: