Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times

Advertisements

Friend of mine used to work for a CA tech company, they were paying him $132,000+. Here in FL, for the same job, he's being offered $30,000 to $60,000. Fortunately for him, it's less expensive to rent here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Look guys, it's not just Florida. I just returned from Nevada and Arizona. If you think everything is so out of hand here, you really need to look a little farther than our state line. It's bad in other states, not just Florida.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
CA has creative mortgages, true, but that ship has sailed and many are going to lose those homes they can't afford. Taxes are higher, insurance is comparable to FL's (earthquakes in CA vs. hurricanes in FL = higher rates for both) and contrary to popular belief, most jobs do not pay that much more in CA-- certainly not enough more to compensate for the much higher cost of living. Some pay exactly the same.

The way Californians hang on is they spend 50-70% of their incomes on housing. They do cheap things outdoors (go to the beaches, hiking, biking, rollerblading) for fun, don't eat all that much and, if they get in a bind, put any shortfall on credit cards. Californians and New Yorkers expect to allocate most of their budgets to housing, and they plan accordingly. It's a burden, but it's just the way it is. Some people do it without getting into debt; some, of course, don't. And some are wealthy, but they are the minority.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
CA has creative mortgages, true, but that ship has sailed and many are going to lose those homes they can't afford. Taxes are higher, insurance is comparable to FL's (earthquakes in CA vs. hurricanes in FL = higher rates for both) and contrary to popular belief, most jobs do not pay that much more in CA-- certainly not enough more to compensate for the much higher cost of living. Some pay exactly the same.

The way Californians hang on is they spend 50-70% of their incomes on housing. They do cheap things outdoors (go to the beaches, hiking, biking, rollerblading) for fun, don't eat all that much and, if they get in a bind, put any shortfall on credit cards. Californians and New Yorkers expect to allocate most of their budgets to housing, and they plan accordingly. It's a burden, but it's just the way it is. Some people do it without getting into debt; some, of course, don't. And some are wealthy, but they are the minority.
"don't eat all that much"

That's why all those eateries are always so packed then.

The ones that can make it here and in CA bought houses when they were affordable, like 20+ years ago there and 10 years ago here. Even with a gross salary of $125K, after you deduct fed taxes, CA state taxes 9.3%, health insurance copay, 401K deduction there isn't much left at the end of the month if your paying even 50% of your income on rent/mortage. I won't even bother with property taxes and insurance. Add in car payments and insurance and etc. What it will equal is people with high credit card debt and no savings for retirement and a social security system that will not pay anything to live on. Ticking time bomb//

Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
CA has creative mortgages, true, but that ship has sailed and many are going to lose those homes they can't afford.
I just read this morning that as of today, California is #1 for home foreclosures and Florida is #2. The article said that in CA 1 in 224 houses was in foreclosure and in FL it was 1 in 243. Ouch! I think it's going to get worse especially in the first half of next year. I don't think today's rate cut by the Fed is going to make much difference in the housing market, they're just doing it to boost consumer confidence on Wall St.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:28 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default Two Incomes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Friend of mine used to work for a CA tech company, they were paying him $132,000+. Here in FL, for the same job, he's being offered $30,000 to $60,000. Fortunately for him, it's less expensive to rent here.
If you have two people working in a household, then they would be making $264,000. I know quite a few married couples both in IT (in NY) who are making just about the same salary each. One worked at a software firm which has on site child care center. That is how they do it.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
How many hours do they have to work to get salaries like that? Do they achieve a work/life balance in raising their kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
If you have two people working in a household, then they would be making $264,000. I know quite a few married couples both in IT (in NY) who are making just about the same salary each. One worked at a software firm which has on site child care center. That is how they do it.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
How many hours do they have to work to get salaries like that? Do they achieve a work/life balance in raising their kid?
When you make that kind of money you don't get paid by the hour. A lot of people make that kind of money and a lot more. It usually consists of pay plus bonuses and other perks. The average working person can't even identify with that kind of money. I hesitate to say this but my brother in law is in the manufacturing business, he makes a product that since 9/11 is in high demand. I read on the net in 2006 he made 54 million. Some people make a lot of money.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 PM

174 posts, read 666,581 times
If you really want to be here then make it work. As for me I don't want to be here anymore, luckily its not a financial thing for me but be creative if you really want to stay. Honestly I can't see anyone who is sane wanting to stay here at all but to each's own

Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,789 times
Default NewRes

Why cant anyone see that the Feds are sucking the life of the country to maintain this war - to hell with the Bridges, Health Care, Minimum Wage and on as long as we get 50 Billion to finance our future energy supplies and the oil companies could make 100 Billion who cares about little scrunters dying in this crushing economic stoneroller..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: