Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Here's hoping the Rethugs get voted out (or thrown in jail) and the laws that worked for 100 years get reinstated.
It didn't work after the re-districting travesty so I doubt it will ever happen. Districts 3, 6 and 8 are my faves....Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Well, the power brokers have Amendments 5 and 6 to contend with now (passed by a huge majority of voters). People will be watching redistricting closely (including the Feds) this time around and lawsuits will be filed and subpoenas issued if they think it's still business as usual. I'm naively optimistic.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 AM

181 posts, read 607,463 times
I don't know if employers are required to give time off to vote. Also, for many, I'm sure that even if they get time off, they aren't going to get paid for it, especially if they are hourly employees who get by on tips.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I don't know if employers are required to give time off to vote. Also, for many, I'm sure that even if they get time off, they aren't going to get paid for it, especially if they are hourly employees who get by on tips.
Kinda leaves a lot of room for manipulation of the system as say a boss who is politically one way refuses to give time off to an employee who is politically the other way. or an employer knowing an employee cant afford to take time off refuses to pay him/her if they go to vote if they arent on the same page politically as the boss.
Wonder how many people dont vote because they cant find time to get to the voting booth..
Around here employers have to give employees 4 hours paid time off to vote,its the law.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
No photo ID, no voting period.

No matter where you vote or how you vote.

Easy to get a photo ID.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
No photo ID, no voting period.

No matter where you vote or how you vote.

Easy to get a photo ID.
Almost any kind of photo id is acceptable. I can assure when the time comes the voters this is directed at will be fully informed regardless how much misinformation is thrown at them. They are used to being jerked around and are not easily deterred. In fact many regard these tactics as a "trial by fire", Nothing new to them. In fact, from what I understand so far, it has done nothing but energize people to be sure they vote and get others out to vote. It will have more of an "Awaking a sleeping giant" effect or poking a lion with a stick, then suppression.

It calls even more attention and no doubts to what they are trying to do and will in the end back fire. The best tactics are the sneaky ones not the "In your face" type as this is. It may produce an even bigger voter turn out by the same people they are trying to suppress. It is an intensive to get the voter out who may have been apathetic. It is a pretty easy sell to the person who may have had no interest in the election because it now makes it personal. I can assure they will be prepared months ahead of time, this stuff presents no real obstacle just incentive..

Voting Information - Florida Division of Elections - Department of State

Last edited by mango23; 10-30-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Well, the power brokers have Amendments 5 and 6 to contend with now (passed by a huge majority of voters). People will be watching redistricting closely (including the Feds) this time around and lawsuits will be filed and subpoenas issued if they think it's still business as usual. I'm naively optimistic.
It is absolutely disgusting watching our lawmakers and governor doing legal backflips to try to subvert the will of the people on this issue, so that they can preserve their ability to gerrymander. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. The people have a right to fair and equal representation and an end to this perpetual state-sponsored cronyism. Sadly, I would not be surprised at all if some tenuous legal loophole was found to negate them.

If Florida is actually redistricted in the way the amendments require, it's going to become an entirely different political arena overnight.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Almost any kind of photo id is acceptable. I can assure when the time comes the voters this is directed at will be fully informed regardless how much misinformation is thrown at them. They are used to being jerked around and are not easily deterred. In fact many regard these tactics as a "trial by fire", Nothing new to them. In fact, from what I understand so far, it has done nothing but energize people to be sure they vote and get others out to vote. It will have more of an "Awaking a sleeping giant" effect or poking a lion with a stick, then suppression.

It calls even more attention and no doubts to what they are trying to do and will in the end back fire. The best tactics are the sneaky ones not the "In your face" type as this is. It may produce an even bigger voter turn out by the same people they are trying to suppress. It is an intensive to get the voter out who may have been apathetic. It is a pretty easy sell to the person who may have had no interest in the election because it now makes it personal. I can assure they will be prepared months ahead of time, this stuff presents no real obstacle just incentive..

Voting Information - Florida Division of Elections - Department of State

I do not want to see anyone's vote suppressed but I do want items in place to make sure anyone who votes is legally allowed to vote and has not voted in various place. In Ohio in 2008, some were found to have voted 6 or more times and we need to stop that.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I do not want to see anyone's vote suppressed but I do want items in place to make sure anyone who votes is legally allowed to vote and has not voted in various place. In Ohio in 2008, some were found to have voted 6 or more times and we need to stop that.
The Justice Dept under Bush made "voter fraud" a top priority during his presidency. From what I understand, they identified less than 100 votes nationally that were not legally cast. Out of hundreds of millions of votes, having this few is not a problem worth our tax dollars. These laws have very little to do with doing the right thing but rather to manipulate the results of elections by using statistical data to put limits on the number of voters that can be disenfranchised. The shortening of early voting, the tightening of registration laws and the voting ID laws are all designed to minimize the number of votes cast for Democrats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/wa...pagewanted=all
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...r-suppression/

Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Justice Dept under Bush made "voter fraud" a top priority during his presidency. From what I understand, they identified less than 100 votes nationally that were not legally cast. Out of hundreds of millions of votes, having this few is not a problem worth our tax dollars. These laws have very little to do with doing the right thing but rather to manipulate the results of elections by using statistical data to put limits on the number of voters that can be disenfranchised. The shortening of early voting, the tightening of registration laws and the voting ID laws are all designed to minimize the number of votes cast for Democrats.

In 5-Year Effort, Scant Evidence of Voter Fraud - New York Times
REPORT: From Poll Taxes To Voter ID Laws: A Short History of Conservative Voter Suppression | ThinkProgress

I do not agree. Only 17% of Americans consider themselves democrats while 43% consider themselves republicans and the rest are independents.

Why would anyone try to minimize the 17% of voters who cannot win anything without votes from many independents and republicans?

Did you forget how many years the democrats tried to keep our heros in the armed forces from voting?

NY Times--- give me a break. A left wing biased anti American newspaper.

It was democrats in Ohio who was paying people with cigarettes, booze and pizza and showing them how to cast votes over and over again.

All you have to do is look up liberal loon Acorn to see the fraud is mostly coming from the left wingers who know they are not enough of them to win a race without cheating or tons of right side voters.

What I see is people trying to make sure illegals and those who are not registered to vote from voting. And of course voting 6-8 times like the dems who paid people to vote multiple times did in 2008.

One person, one vote. Legal and legit. No legal photo ID, no vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida