U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,234,062 times

Advertisements

Waiting for 2008 for property tax reform is getting me more frustrated every day. Are any other Floridians sick and tired of our do-nothing elected officials, and the empty promises they make? Is anyone else mad enough and/or well connected enough to help do something about it, or at least draw attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 03:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,562,605 times
As a relatively new person here the only political
activity I see appears to be politicians lining up to
take the money developers are freely giving away.
With so much money and so many pockets to fill,
not too much time for anything else, so it seems.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:07 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,410,367 times
Our elected officials are busy trying to figure out how to pass on extra fees to us to make up for the property tax loss well that is when they aren't trying to "explain" how their friends have very large "contracts" with the city. So far they have come up with so far it should cost us an additional $179 per year.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:45 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,564,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Is anyone else mad enough and/or well connected enough to help do something about it, or at least draw attention?
Like take a hit out on some of them ?

Well, you did ask if we were "connected" .

Yeah, I'm feeling duped. I got my proposed assessment today and my taxes may be going down by $199 even though my assessment is up, but like Karla mentions above, we are getting a new garbage fee (Jax has never had one), so I'm sure the city is going to slurp that $199 right back up .

I still feel hopeful about Jacksonville's future in a lot of ways, but they city does need to get a grip on their decision-making and see if the ideas coming from city hall are really what the people want .

Florida as a whole seems so disjointed right now that Floridians are probably more vulnerable that ever to be taken advantage of and I think that brings us right back to the property tax reform......who benefits?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,243 times
Florida needs Home Owners' insurance reform as well as propery tax reform.

My 90 year old Mother has lived here since 1975. Recently, I moved her from her SF home in Lehigh Acres to a SF home in Fort Myers. I reapplied for her Homestead Exemption, which took effect in 2007, but her SOH status is no longer in effect. Her property taxes increased.

This year her Insurance company increased her premiums by 100%. She has never had a claim in 32 years with the company. The major Insurance Companies are bailing out of Florida and leaving the job to underwriters.

She has a $96,000 mortgage, (which I thought would give her a tax deduction and it does) and her payment is now $1757 a month.

I don't get it!! This model Floridian has been a resident for 32 years and could be in jeopardy of losing her home.

Yes in answer to your question I am very weary of Florida and most of the policies and politics.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:15 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,153,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Waiting for 2008 for property tax reform is getting me more frustrated every day.

Tallrick, what do you expect from the 2008 property tax reform proposal?

Yes, in the short-run we can all make the calculations.

In the long-run, the main purpose of the proposal is to phase out SOH.

That leaves Florida homeowners with a promise: policymakers will ensure a low-inflation, responsible-budget, responsible-development, responsible-immigration environment for the next 5, 10, 20 years.

You buy it?

I think the frustration stems from the fact that, spearheaded by states like Florida, the US is gradually losing its exceptional-country status as the land of opportunity for the common man, and is blending into the mediocre, often bleak, mainstream sweep of history of nations, empires and civilizations, and some middle class people are aware of it, and they are aware that there is little they can do about it in the face of the plutocracy-controlled financial system and mass media, among other things (like the country's suicidal energy, transportation and urban/suburban/exurban zoning and "development" policies, not to mention manufacturing, or lack thereof, etc.).

Lotsa luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-25-2007 at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or