Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you stop running your air conditioner all the time or most of the time? (Florida residents o
before September 1 1.79%
September 1 1.79%
October 1 - 15 6 10.71%
October 16 - 31 11 19.64%
November 1 - 15 4 7.14%
November 16 - 30 2 3.57%
December 5 8.93%
I run mine all year long 19 33.93%
I don't have an air conditioner 0 0%
I have one, but rarely use it 3 5.36%
I don't live in Florida 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,200 times

Advertisements

Usually in December, when we start getting colder weather. Last winter, I didn't have my air conditioner turned on once during the months of December and January. It was nice and cool during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
If the temp inside the house gets over 84/85 or 82/83 and it's very humid,on it goes,regardless of the month.
Generally, that is only for about 3/4 hours in the afternoon.(We aren't here in the worst of the summer)

Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
The last 2 days are good examples of Florida Fall/Winter weather:

Yesteday morning it was cool, I had the AC off, I got home from work and it was a little on the warm side and muggy, I turned it on, over night a cold front came though and now it's off... it's this cycle until mid December when it usually cools down enough to KEEP it off.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Have you folks ever heard of THE THERMOSTAT. Set it and forget it! If the house temperature goes above the set temperature, it will cool the house. If you have your windows open and cool air in the house, it won't come on. You can do the same thing with the heat. Too cold and like magic it will come on. What's with all the on/off stuff?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Have you folks ever heard of THE THERMOSTAT. Set it and forget it! If the house temperature goes above the set temperature, it will cool the house. If you have your windows open and cool air in the house, it won't come on. You can do the same thing with the heat. Too cold and like magic it will come on. What's with all the on/off stuff?
Yah I don't get it either i'd never turn my a/c on and off through out the day. Seems like a waste.. if its on it stays on, if its off it better be cold for an extended period of time (more than 4-5 days minimum) or I'm not gonna keep opening and closing things

Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Because thermostats are hardly the most accurate things in the world, especially given their usual location. Even on boilers, which have very accurate thermostats, need adjusting due to external factors.

When I come in from a run, or just a walk, I crank on the AC because I am hot as heck, I do not need it to be blowing like that 24/7. In the mornings after I wake up, I am always feeling on the cold side, I never want the AC to blow, rather have it warm. In the evening, I like the air to be dry a bit, so I will bump on the AC, otherwise, I am fine with the temp.

People have different feelings throughout the day of warm and cold, even a person's body temp will migrate throughout the day, with the early evenings being the warmest (hence why it is regarded as the best time for the gym).

So no, it is not a simply matter of just "leave it on", there are different factors involved in a person's comfort setting regarding temperature, like activities occuring, how many people are in the house, humidity, sun exposure, etc.

Now, if you are the type that just likes it ice cold all the time, then you will most likely leave it on since it basically has to run very often.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Yah I don't get it either i'd never turn my a/c on and off through out the day. Seems like a waste.. if its on it stays on, if its off it better be cold for an extended period of time (more than 4-5 days minimum) or I'm not gonna keep opening and closing things
I have my thermostat set at the same temp all the time, but turn it on/off because believe it or not, turning it OFF during the day when I am not home saves me money, as does turning it off when I have my windows open.

Also the thermostat does not measure humidity. It could be 80 degrees outside and 40% relative humidity and be perfectly comfortable, or it could be 80 degrees and 90% relatively humidity and be miserable. If I have my thermostat set at 78 degrees, it will turn on briefly and dry out the air if it's humid out, or if it's not humid, it's going to turn on and do NOTHING for me but waste money...

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
I don't go by the calendar, but by the temp inside my house. If it gets above about 79, I put on the AC. That means it's on all the time in summer, but winter days vary in temp. A cold front comes through and it's cold for a couple of days (I'm in north Fla. and it gets really cold some times in the winter, I'm talking in the teens some nights), then each day is gradually warmer and warmer until the next cold front comes through. Some of those warmer and warmer days require use of the AC.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
I had the AC turned off since the beginning of October. It's been consistently cool enough in the evening/night that we can manage with the windows open. No one home during the day so no need to turn on AC. If it gets warm, we close the windows during the day until we get home, if it's cool we keep windows open all day. I love the savings in electricity.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
I have thermostat set on auto,very simple,78 cool,69 heat,24/7 365 days.I am in North FL,very comfortable and electric bill not bad.It is easier on home maintaining these temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida