Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,595 times

Advertisements

The south is soft.

Cops: Bus Driver Loses Job After Assaulting Student Who Used N-Word « CBS Charlotte

Witnesses allege that Richard slammed the student’s head into a window on the bus, issued death threats to the student and his family, and vowed to “drag the victim into the school by his neck until he breaks his wind pipe” after the student used the N-word.

All this and only a simple battery charge smh lmao wow the south is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Sometimes it seems like liberal places are tougher on crime. In NYC Plaxico Burress did 2 years prison just for shooting himself. In Florida most times you don't even do a day if you shoot someone and they happen to not die from the shot. Florida's gotta be the most liberal state in America with crime, with or without the death penalty. It's a joke and the shooters know this.
This is nuts. Florida is very tough on crime compared to many other states. Florida has very strict mandatory minimum laws for certain crimes, no parole, and 10-20-Life laws for crimes with a gun. At least they did as of a few years ago, but I don't live in Florida anymore so they might have changed some of that for all I know.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I love the anti-liberal mentions in this thread. For a state that is so in bed with the NRA I find it fascinating the outcry for stiffer convictions for gun crimes. Hypocritical much? Furthermore how about conservative tea-party governors who slash budgets that don't allow enough space in the correctional facilities to house these offenders, which allows for early release of convicted felons and what exactly is the point of heavy sentencing when actual time served is a fraction of the time?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM

130 posts, read 240,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I love the anti-liberal mentions in this thread. For a state that is so in bed with the NRA I find it fascinating the outcry for stiffer convictions for gun crimes. Hypocritical much? Furthermore how about conservative tea-party governors who slash budgets that don't allow enough space in the correctional facilities to house these offenders, which allows for early release of convicted felons and what exactly is the point of heavy sentencing when actual time served is a fraction of the time?
Relax, nobody is bashing liberals here, just stating that Liberal judges are soft on sentencing and repeat offenders. What the heck does the NRA, or t-party whatever have to do with it?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Sometimes it seems like liberal places are tougher on crime. In NYC Plaxico Burress did 2 years prison just for shooting himself. In Florida most times you don't even do a day if you shoot someone and they happen to not die from the shot. Florida's gotta be the most liberal state in America with crime, with or without the death penalty. It's a joke and the shooters know this.
UNTIL judges and lawmakers wake up and start going after CRIMINALS that use guns for illegal purposes instead of LAW ABIDING citizens for violating some petty law about owning a gun the problem will persist.

My solution: Mandatory twenty years for anyone who steals a firearm, uses a firearm to commit a felony or is a Felon that uses a gun in a crime.

GL2

Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
And on the other side of the spectrum, you have a state like California with its super strong prison lobby that just loves locking people up for anything. It's so bad over there that a federal court is ordering them to release prisoners back to the counties because of inhumane overcrowding.

California also spends more on prisons than they do on higher ed.

So yes, liberal states can f%$# things up just as badly as conservative states can

Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Quote:
I know of plenty of people who have shot at/ shot and hit/ home invaded/ killed/ etc and have gotten little time and some not even a night in a county jail. Especially in Lee and Pinellas county but I assume it's other places 2. What goes on on the north?
I know an ex-brother in law who burgled, 2 DUIS, some serious sex offender felonies, several vop's and has done a whopping 3 years in a MI prison.....he even got busted trying to extend his electronic tether and that didn't even violate his parole.

Another neighbor of mine up there 3x caught with meth and components to make meth (scales, sudafed, lithium batteries, etc.) besides a couple of possesion of MJ and finally they gave him 5 years.

Pull that crap down here and either one of them would've done 15-20 easy.
I don't know how they're getting away with all that stuff in Lee and Pinellas......good lawyers or dropped charges I guess.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
And on the other side of the spectrum, you have a state like California with its super strong prison lobby that just loves locking people up for anything. It's so bad over there that a federal court is ordering them to release prisoners back to the counties because of inhumane overcrowding.

California also spends more on prisons than they do on higher ed.

So yes, liberal states can f%$# things up just as badly as conservative states can
Waaaah! Inhumane overcrowding...whatever. So sad.

In terms of education vs. prison spending, who cares. California's educational system (particularly higher ed) blows Florida out of the water.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Waaaah! Inhumane overcrowding...whatever. So sad.

In terms of education vs. prison spending, who cares. California's educational system (particularly higher ed) blows Florida out of the water.
Um, outside of higher Ed, California s school system has one of the lowest per pupil spending rates in the country. They love paying their unionized prison guards well though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida