U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM

8,489 posts, read 11,195,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
My own personal situation demonstrates this, I was nurse, got a DUI.They took my license, I became despondent nearly drank myself to death. I finally stopped but no matter, I still cannot return to my profession or even go back to school for any meaningful upwardly mobile path. It makes no sense, and the self righteous folks like yourself could give a rats ass about anyone except yourself and your own insecurities that lawyers use against you that only they benefit from.
I missed this part before. I too had a DUI years back, since that time I have made a nice living. I've started, developed and sold a business and made a nice profit. I have had other jobs that paid me well.
How am I self righteous? Because I don't let drawbacks hold me down, because I don't blame a state because I did not succeed? Grow a sack and stop blaming others for your choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,250,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
In Tennessee, texas, etc you can get 6 years just for having some drugs or a weapon on u...in florida u wont even get that for shooting someone and having them live. How much proof do you really need do you want me to keep showing you on a case by case basis until you're convinced?
So what, in FL you can get a 3 year minimum mandatory for possesion of a controlled substance with no prior record. Here's the real kicker, possesion of oxycodone, hydrocodone w/o a script is a felony, but it get's better....there may be only 5-10 mg's of hydro or oxy in the pill but FL counts the inert ingredients as well like the 750 mg's of acetominophen....one of the few states that does that.

A theft over $300 is a felony. Even with Stand Your Ground you better be in imminent danger and fear for your life. Florida is by no means soft on crime.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And whose fault is it that you got a DUI?

And you didn't lose your nursing license from just one DUI, there is more to that story.
Wrong, you can get in a fist fight you didn't even start and if you get charged, you could lose a CNA license, let alone an LPN or RN.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 PM

4,000 posts, read 3,379,614 times
Quote:
In Tennessee, texas, etc you can get 6 years just for having some drugs or a weapon on u...in florida u wont even get that for shooting someone and having them live. How much proof do you really need do you want me to keep showing you on a case by case basis until you're convinced?
Wrong.....fl has 10-20-life law on the books

Show/bring a gun get 10 years min
Shoot the gun 20 years min
Shoot someone get life

Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM

4,679 posts, read 5,092,988 times
Quote:
You can get any sentence in any state for various reasons, That's why our justice system is a joke. It's also why minorities believe there are higher numbers or minorities in jail is because they get harsher sentences.

There was a guy growing weed in a trailer somewhere up in East Texas that got 6 years, There was another guy that committed an armed robbery in Houston at a gas station and got 3 years.

It makes no sense and it's everywhere.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM

557 posts, read 483,719 times
Headline says it all in this one. I'm not even close to surprised but I should be. but that's Floida for you.

Port Charlotte man arrested for 25th time following armed robbery | The News-Press | news-press.com

2 criminals with "extensive criminal history" rob and murder store clerk.

Pasco store clerk dies from head injuries suffered in robbery - Tampa Bay Times

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You can get any sentence in any state for various reasons, That's why our justice system is a joke. It's also why minorities believe there are higher numbers or minorities in jail is because they get harsher sentences.

There was a guy growing weed in a trailer somewhere up in East Texas that got 6 years, There was another guy that committed an armed robbery in Houston at a gas station and got 3 years.

It makes no sense and it's everywhere.

Well if you paid attention to what the media chooses to show you would also think that there are way more "minorities" on death row than whites too. But if you look at Florida's Death row roster it's majority white males by far. So don't simplify the issue like that. In Florida I've seen plenty of blacks and whites get off easy, but more blacks because in counties that are almost all white the law seems to be a little more harsh on crime in some cases. Pinellas and Lee county are a joke. Pasco and hillsborough are a little harsher. Citrus and hernando give you more time and I'm assuming north florida does too.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Wrong.....fl has 10-20-life law on the books

Show/bring a gun get 10 years min
Shoot the gun 20 years min
Shoot someone get life
This is the least informed post I've ever seen. Just read the local tampa news for a week and you'll know this is nonsense.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"You've heard, you've heard" ... "and here are a couple of isolated examples that 'prove' my point" --- Come on now! --- All you've done is jumped-over a factual analysis of your underlying presumption and then asked "Why is my conclusion true?"

All real statistics CJIS, BLS, etc. show that Florida is actually pretty tough on crime. Also, in my years of real experience in working within the criminal justice system and prisons ....I've never heard anyone (particularly inmates) refer to Florida as "a criminal's paradise" -- In fact, it's one of the few states where criminals actually serve about 85% of their sentence ... which is perhaps why the prisons are full.
The sentences are tiny though compared to other states. I'm assuming it's because there's so many messed up people in Florida that the prisons are over crowded.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Headline says it all in this one. I'm not even close to surprised but I should be. but that's Floida for you.

Port Charlotte man arrested for 25th time following armed robbery | The News-Press | news-press.com

2 criminals with "extensive criminal history" rob and murder store clerk.

Pasco store clerk dies from head injuries suffered in robbery - Tampa Bay Times
All these 2 cases show is that they were arrested and notice all of them are being held NO BOND. Check back on the FL DOC's website and run their names in about 12 to 24 months and you'll see the armed robber serving 30 and the other 2 LWOP'd.....I'd bet money on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida