Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
All these 2 cases show is that they were arrested and notice all of them are being held NO BOND. Check back on the FL DOC's website and run their names in about 12 to 24 months and you'll see the armed robber serving 30 and the other 2 LWOP'd.....I'd bet money on it.
I doubt it. I'll bet on the robber getting 2-3 MAX(i doubt he will even get that) and the others maybe getting life for the murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Wrong, you can get in a fist fight you didn't even start and if you get charged, you could lose a CNA license, let alone an LPN or RN.

Fist fights? Who gets into fist fights? The last time I had one was in the 7th grade.

If an adult can't handle a problem like an adult, then maybe they don't need to working in a field that requires you to make important decisions.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
too many lawyers???? with a good nuf lawyer, u could blow up NYC and walk free.
that is why obama had bin laden shot instead.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well Tampa area dentist Matthew Moye drove drunk and reckless on 10/31/10 and killed two college students walking on the sidewalk. They had just gotten off work from their job at a downtown hotel, a 3rd worker was able to jump out of the way in time.

Nothing has been done with him, he still practices dentistry. It's a joke here.

People run red lights and kill someone and they get a ticket and go home.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Headline says it all in this one. I'm not even close to surprised but I should be. but that's Floida for you.

Port Charlotte man arrested for 25th time following armed robbery | The News-Press | news-press.com

2 criminals with "extensive criminal history" rob and murder store clerk.

Pasco store clerk dies from head injuries suffered in robbery - Tampa Bay Times
Quote:
The sentences are tiny though compared to other states. I'm assuming it's because there's so many messed up people in Florida that the prisons are over crowded.
Quote:
I doubt it. I'll bet on the robber getting 2-3 MAX(i doubt he will even get that) and the others maybe getting life for the murder.
You can pull up similar stories from every state. Cherry picked news stories show nothing. You have posted nothing to show that Florida sentencing guidelines are more lenient than other places, in fact you have really only posted your opinion on a subject that could easily be researched and facts presented to support an opinion.
Do you fail to post statistics because they don't back up what you say?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well Tampa area dentist Matthew Moye drove drunk and reckless on 10/31/10 and killed two college students walking on the sidewalk. They had just gotten off work from their job at a downtown hotel, a 3rd worker was able to jump out of the way in time.

Nothing has been done with him, he still practices dentistry. It's a joke here.

People run red lights and kill someone and they get a ticket and go home.
It's called due process, a legal right that any citizen OF THE U.S. has. His trial is still ongoing. He has a bond of $119,000 and pre-trial release conditions that he can leave his house only between 7am and 7pm to go to work.
Their is the presumption of innocence until the guilty verdict no matter how much evidence there is.
If you would rather live in a country that will just throw you in a cell at their leisure there are many to choose from.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
This is the least informed post I've ever seen. Just read the local tampa news for a week and you'll know this is nonsense.
This.

This has to be the least informed post. The poster wrote:

Quote:
Wrong.....fl has 10-20-life law on the books

Show/bring a gun get 10 years min
Shoot the gun 20 years min
Shoot someone get life
That's the law. How is that uninformed? Reading a newspaper doesn't change the law.

I'm sorry, but you've been posting these unsubstantiated rants for years. Do I think there are a lot of criminals, con artists, wanted folks in Florida? Yes. An inordinate amount. But it has nothing to do with the laws. In fact, I find Florida's law enforcement to often overstep their bounds. My guess is it is a direct result of all the lawless folks running around.

This is the only state that I've been in where a cop routinely asks for driver's license for all passengers in vehicle during a routine traffic stop. It's the only state I've been in that when you call the cops to your home they ask YOU and everyone in the home for driver's licenses. Why? Because in the mind of the cops you could be a fugitive from justice, have a warrant out for your arrest. I was a crime reporter for many years and I've never heard of that happening anywhere else.

But why you are allowed to write post after post for years that is nonsensical, controversial, often smacks of racism and never backed by fact is beyond me. In my mind that is a sign of a troll but it is not my website.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM

142 posts, read 259,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Well if you want a state that's REAL tough on crime, move to the Commonwealth of Virginia. They dont play the radio.
Some of the most aggressive policing in the country, too, from the state troopers to the city cops. You feel like you MUST have a body in the trunk or something when they pop you for doing 35 in a 25 or having a busted tail light.

And, honestly, I've never been able to figure out why that is. I guess the politicians are good at working the crime angle, or maybe it's a hangover from reconstruction.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]I am a former workaholic from a big city in the North Eastern part of the US.....

I am now retired and living in SE Florida. The cops here take a no nonsense view on criminals including auto speeders, dope smugglers, marijuana growers and I wish they could put them on an island infested by animals and creatures that harm humans... Keep up the good work.

I believed that the southern way of life is "start off slow then ease up" and is true in cases involving good family values....I am happy to know that we for the most part are protected by the local police force....Just to ensure my family is going to be safe in our home environment I have a license to carry and I do....I really hope no one is foolish to invade our home while I am here but if someone does may God save them because they will be mine..

The California school system is for the birds....All 4 of my brothers get their first 2 years of college free thanks to their taxpayers. Some of the country's saddest areas for crime are located in California and if one was not aware of a certain area the person could get in trouble because the bad areas look like a regular middle class bunch of homes.
Funny, I've yet to encounter this level of intolerance in a native Floridian. Southeast Florida never was "southern" in the first place, though, so whatever.

Why anyone would really get their panties in a bunch about dope growers is beyond me, unless they're armed and squatting on somebody else's land. It beats breaking into houses or going on welfare, doesn't it, and curmudgeonnly tightwads moving down to retire hardly provide the sort of economic growth the population so desperately needs.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Well if you paid attention to what the media chooses to show you would also think that there are way more "minorities" on death row than whites too. But if you look at Florida's Death row roster it's majority white males by far. So don't simplify the issue like that. In Florida I've seen plenty of blacks and whites get off easy, but more blacks because in counties that are almost all white the law seems to be a little more harsh on crime in some cases. Pinellas and Lee county are a joke. Pasco and hillsborough are a little harsher. Citrus and hernando give you more time and I'm assuming north florida does too.
You're twisting his words around. He didn't even say that it's true, he just explained why many minorities percieve it that way.

And nobody said anything about death row- you assumed that was the topic. Tons of people are in jail for way too long (IMO) due to repeat petty charges or probation/parole violations. Sure, maybe that guy who robbed a convenience store got off, but then you've got some welder or plumber or landscaper who's locked up because he got caught up in a prostitution sting while on probation for his third open container violation in the park across the street from his house, and maybe, just maybe the fact that the cops happen to be on his neighborhood like flies has something to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida