Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the penalties for DUI be stricter in Florida?
Yes 19 52.78%
No 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:00 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
.08 is a joke. I can get there by drinking a few beers. DUI laws are terrible, they are scientific and not suited to the individual. I can tell you I can be almost 2.0 and out drive 90% of you... and i'm not joking

Should be maybe .08 for people under 21, 1.0 for people under 25, and maybe 1.4 for men, 1.0 for women. Our bodies are different.
You'd be dead with a BAC of 2%. Maybe you mean .2-even then, you'd be staggering, puking drunk. To get to .2, a 180 pound person would have to consume 8 drinks in an hour.

Please post in advance when and where you go drinking-I want to make sure I'm not anywhere near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:19 PM

306 posts, read 436,514 times
Unbelievable.

Only in Florida would this poll question be a photo finish. (Especially when you take away my yes vote).

I guess it makes sense now why about 9,000 episodes of
"Cops" was filmed down there.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Unbelievable.

Only in Florida would this poll question be a photo finish. (Especially when you take away my yes vote).

LOL, well in FL they drive with no car insurance and no license anyway. Anything goes, it is the hit and run capital of the country.

A young guy was just killed doing road work, the driver had a laundry list of offenses including DUI. She was speeding and didn't pay attention to the cones and signs.

She hit this poor guy so hard she knocked him out of his shoes, still no charges have been filed.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times
I wouldn't change the laws for a first offense...in fact they may be too stiff as is. I'd also raise the legal limit to .10.

I'd keep the current penalties the same for a second offense UNLESS it occurs with 5 years of the first offense. Then I'd bump it up to a severe financial penalty and yes, I also like the percent of income fines.

For a third offense, I'd go with jail time.

For any further offenses, lifetime loss of license and further jail time.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Unbelievable.

I guess extreme exaggeration was on your to do list today.
982 Episodes total episodes have been filmed in over 150 different cities around the world.

The reason the poll is close is because some people are not drawn in by the MADD hysteria and think on their own. The poll is not asking if drinking and driving is good or bad, it is whether the punishment fits the crime.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM

306 posts, read 436,514 times
For starters, obvious exaggerations are used as a way to make a point and are usually very recognizable for what they are.

Ask the family and friends of the 10,000+ people who are killed as a result of drunk driving each year in the US what they think? About 1/3 of all US driving related deaths are a result of drunk drivers. Consider that maybe 1% or less of all driver hours each year are by those who are drunk. So 1% is responsible for 33% of the deaths. That does not include people who are horribly injured.

All because they did not pony up $20 for a cab ride or get someone to drive them home.

Imagine losing a friend or five kids losing a parent because someone decided to get hammered and drive.

It is still legal to sit at home and get hammered if you want, order out for pizza, fall asleep and slober all over your couch. It is not imperative that someone use a car to get their fix.

Drinking is legal, drink all you want, just don't operate a vehicle or pay a heavy penalty before you kill an innocent person.

I don't see the hysteria that you are referring to. I see cold, hard, irrefutable facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I guess extreme exaggeration was on your to do list today.
982 Episodes total episodes have been filmed in over 150 different cities around the world.

The reason the poll is close is because some people are not drawn in by the MADD hysteria and think on their own. The poll is not asking if drinking and driving is good or bad, it is whether the punishment fits the crime.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
^ considering the number of drivers on the road, 10,000 is a very low number.

MADD is just another charity who overpays their officers and does virtually nothing for their ridiculous "cause"...

Bunch of religious zealots, most of the people killed are the drunks themselves, so who cares.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Sleepy drivers statistically are more dangerous than drunk drivers. Where are the protests against the conditions that make these sleepy drivers feel the need to drive?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,072 times
DUI = loose your driving privileges. If stuff like this happens who is going to enforce the law?

Miami cop found passed out drunk in patrol car - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
DUI = loose your driving privileges. If stuff like this happens who is going to enforce the law?

Miami cop found passed out drunk in patrol car - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
You need to move to Soviet Russia.

Try to not press your morality on others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: