U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,517 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of midwestern winters that I have decided to take the plunge and move to Florida! Jobs for the 2012-2013 school year usually don't start posting for a few months. I would love some input so I can narrow down my search.

I originally thought somewhere near Pensacola, then my research brought me east to Niceville/Fort Walton Beach. I haven't read anything about Panama City area, but I heard some positive things about Tallahassee. The last thread I read was about St. Petersburg. I know I am all over the map - help!

My ultimate goal is to get a teaching job and be able to afford a small house with a great yard for my dogs, as close as to a beach as possible. I'm from the suburbs of Kansas City and I'm used to things being spread out, so 30-45 minutes away would be perfect!

Any input on the areas I mentioned above would be so helpful. As soon as I figure out what part of the state I want, I'll come back for school district advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:58 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,665,808 times
Do a little more research to see how the state has not only eliminated tenure but also linked as much as half your annual salary to unnamed student performance measures. This is really not a good time to be just starting out as a teacher in Florida.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:17 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,049,592 times
You need to find somewhere else than Florida. Our governor is a teabagger dick who is anti-employee. Teacher pay is pretty low here, and he seems hell bent on privatizing everything, including education.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Wow!! I've been teaching in Missouri for 7 years and had no idea this was going on. I read a little bit more about what you are talking about...and WOW.

So I guess I need to start looking at other warm weather states!!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM

8,088 posts, read 8,708,626 times
As others said you really need to do more research. FL is one of the lowest paying states in the country, coming in at 46 out of the 50 states. It certainly isn't the 46th cheapest state to live in either.

For example ask your car insurance company to provide you the cost difference between your rates in Kansas and FL, you will see your rates at least double. This is something many people(especially those in the midwestern states) don't think of.

And yes the Gov wants to link teacher's salaries based on student's perfomance. You know as a teacher that there are more factors involved(mainly home life and parental involvement) that influence what kind of student enters your classroom.

In other states teachers are given "combat pay"when they're dealing with students that present more of a challenge due to socioeconomic issues.

Rick Scott wants to punish teachers who get the kids who present more of a challenge. IMO he wants to eliminate public schools all together.

Look at TX or NC, there are other states that will give you the milder weather you want, but with better pay and a better quality of life.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 PM

780 posts, read 938,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
As others said you really need to do more research. FL is one of the lowest paying states in the country, coming in at 46 out of the 50 states. It certainly isn't the 46th cheapest state to live in either.

For example ask your car insurance company to provide you the cost difference between your rates in Kansas and FL, you will see your rates at least double. This is something many people(especially those in the midwestern states) don't think of.

And yes the Gov wants to link teacher's salaries based on student's perfomance. You know as a teacher that there are more factors involved(mainly home life and parental involvement) that influence what kind of student enters your classroom.

In other states teachers are given "combat pay"when they're dealing with students that present more of a challenge due to socioeconomic issues.

Rick Scott wants to punish teachers who get the kids who present more of a challenge. IMO he wants to eliminate public schools all together.

Look at TX or NC, there are other states that will give you the milder weather you want, but with better pay and a better quality of life.
But we got the beach and great winter weather to make up for everything else..

Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,049,592 times
Georgia should be out of the question too, do a little research on the recent teacher cheating scandals, the idiot politicians will over-react like they typically do, and they will come down on the teachers hard there, even though it was mostly administrators behind it.

North Carolina is not a bad recommendation. I have two close friends that moved there from here 3 years ago. Quality of life is better according to them, but taxes are higher.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 AM

20,393 posts, read 16,722,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Do a little more research to see how the state has not only eliminated tenure but also linked as much as half your annual salary to unnamed student performance measures. This is really not a good time to be just starting out as a teacher in Florida.
I take that to mean they want to pay their teachers minimum wage and you could be fired at any moment for the slightest triviality, and forget about any benefits..
As for escaping midwestern winters?Florida summers for some can be equally as brutal..

Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 AM

12,375 posts, read 8,226,421 times
florida certainly doesn't need to beg for residents.

people were flocking here during the easy money days (when you evidently could pick where you wanted to live, even with virtually no income ), and they will be flocking here again.

people should do their research to see where they would want to live, but i am not particularly worried for the future of florida.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Well nuts. Florida doesn't sound very fun for teachers. It actually doesn't sound very fun anywhere for teachers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida