Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one. I feel like I could put my tree up in June and get the same "Christmas feel" as putting it up in Dec when its 82 degrees out. I've found as the years have gone on I've put up less and less to the point that I don't even put anything up now it just has sat in my storage for the past 3 years collecting dust. Anyone else completely loose that Christmas feel when u have to blast the a/c?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Yes. You're the only one.

You know in some parts of the world, it's Christmas when it's actually summer.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes. You're the only one.

You know in some parts of the world, it's Christmas when it's actually summer.
Well good to know I'd be able to adapt to say Australia...

Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
I have to admit that I'm with you part of the way. The weather definitely doesn't get me in the spirit, but I still decorate. It's nice to have stuff out still, even if I do have to turn the a/c down

Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
While the weather may not be consistent with the idyllic Currier and Ives image of the season, it is still Christmas and, without being "preachy", it sometimes helps to remind yourself of what it is that Christmas is really all about. If you keep that in mind and are amazed at what it means for you, you may find yourself wanting to celebrate it in a more demonstrative way. It gets into your heart no matter what the weather--if you let it. :-)

Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I find it hard I think because I lived in what was known as and referred to as the "Currier and Ives" part of New England. Now that I'm back I find it hard to not think back on lamp lit streets with lit gazebos and horse drawn sleds. Now we get "fake" snow aka soap bubbles for the town Christmas tree lighting ceremony that gets stuck in palm trees. It just feels off know what I mean

Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
There are a lot of ways to celebrate Christmas. We have to look at what the traditions we
feel are necessary. The custom of a Christmas tree came from Germany where they'd bring in an evergreen tree because everything else out side was dead due to the winter. It was a sign of life, something that they had not seen in a few months prior to the winter solace.

As to the lights, many people were subject to deep darkness and cold in the winter. So they lit candles, fires, bonfires, to brighten the darkness and give warmth. This also gave the illusion of light and life. I once read that Martin Luther was the one who started with candles on evergreen trees because it reminded him of the twinkling stars that he saw through the evergreens. Overall, it was all to brighten a very dark cold time in life, the winter solace.
None of it had to with Christianity at all. Of course the candles were dangerous and good ole Thomas Edison invented light bulbs and the candles became history.

The "twinkling lights" can also be construed as the stars in the sky over Bethlehem.

So, don't worry about the big show. Christmas is about what is in our hearts.

Christmas as we know it is a time for giving gifts just as the 3 wise men did in Bethlehem.

Having lights, trees, snow, etc. is mostly a European tradition which was tied in with Christmas (and the winter solace) and that's why we use those traditional fixtures today.

I always felt that a nice Nativity scene where in the Baby would not be put in until Christmas Day is a great way to celebrate. Hog wash with all the other stuff.

Of course the stockings hanging at the fireplace came about so people could put little gifts in them for their children and each other. That was before they would put them under the tree
as is the usual custom now.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I did more when I lived in a condo in Naples than owning a house. I could close the plantation shutters and the outside world. Blast the AC, decorate INSIDE, put on scented candles, shut the plantation shutters against the outside world, and PRETEND I was somewhere else. In a house with windows and a lanai I cannot do that. This year I am going North on December 3rd to my daughter's house. I am not decorating at all here this year. It isn't just Christmas, but Thanksgiving as well. I get very depressed when the Fall leaves change and it is still GREEN here. I did notice when we drove North for Christmas, at least Northern Florida gets a FALL in December with the leaves changing. Two years ago it was even in the 30s during Christmas. SOUTH Florida is the worst on all accounts.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Jesus wasn't born in December and it was in the Middle East, anyway.

I'm surprised you aren't putting your tree up for your little one, Sweetbottoms. I got away from it for awhile but made a concerted effort when my daughter was born.

I didn't mind the Christmas aspect of Florida. It was kind of fun to go to the beach around the holidays if only to watch the tourists get a big kick out of it. And I never tired of lit-up palm trees and hibiscus in bloom. Do I like looking at traditionally I understand that not everywhere is the same as quaint New England. In the end it was the crabby retirees in Lee and Collier Counties that did me in. That was a few years ago, though. A lot of nicer folks have moved in. And I missed having the four seasons. East Tennessee gives me that without the brutal cold or heat. But no matter where I go I know I can't expect it to be exactly like the town I grew up in. I try to adapt, make do or start new traditions.

Spring Hillian, beautiful post, brought tears to my eyes. Martin Luther was indeed the first to put lights on the trees. He and I share a birthday but I am a bit younger than him.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Jesus wasn't born in December and it was in the Middle East, anyway.

It just doesn't seem like Christmas without shoveling a path through the snow just as St. Joseph did on that blessed night long ago--or offering eggnog to guests, just as the innkeeper did--or hanging stockings by the chimney, or at least in a corner of the stable....

C'mon man! Christmas is peace and love and fellowship, not weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida